Football pet hates

Guest JonnyRogers

I quite like it. Watching piss poor foreign rivers I've never noticed any foreign comms doing it though.

Anyway it's mainly only Pearce who does it and even then he doesn't do it for all of them e.g Honaldoo

My footballing pet hate is people endlessly banging on about how awful commentators and pundits are. ;)

Then why come into the pet hates thread, when the majority of people on this forum dislike most pundits and commentators??

It was slightly tongue in cheek to be honest - but surely my footballing pet hate of people complaining about commentators is as valid as a pet hate that actually complains about commentators??

In addition, I am not sure that it follows that I shouldn't come into a football pet hates thread because I don't get worked up about pundits and commentators??

Well my pet hate is of people who's pet hate is that of people who's pet hates are against commentator's pronunciation of players.

My footballing pet hate is people endlessly banging on about how awful commentators and pundits are. ;)

Then why come into the pet hates thread, when the majority of people on this forum dislike most pundits and commentators??

It was slightly tongue in cheek to be honest - but surely my footballing pet hate of people complaining about commentators is as valid as a pet hate that actually complains about commentators??

In addition, I am not sure that it follows that I shouldn't come into a football pet hates thread because I don't get worked up about pundits and commentators??

Well my pet hate is of people who's pet hate is that of people who's pet hates are against commentator's pronunciation of players.

That should - 'Well my pet hate is people whose pet hate is that of people whose pet hates are against commentators' pronuncation of players' names.'  O0

And that also isn't my pet hate.  It works on many more levels than that.  It applies to commentators AND pundits...

http://i.imgur.com/W0OBg.jpg

Personally I hate it when the commentators make no attempt at researching the correct pronunciation of the players' names. I don't always know what is the correct one myself, but other times they get it so drastically wrong. It's their job to get it right, do a bit of research and get practice in beforehand.

:thup:

Last night....'Ronaldooo.....great save from cech, these two are really on top of their game this tournament'....1 minute later....'Cech has looked cagey (or a similar word) this tournament, a few mistakes have crept in'

Aye good one Jonathan.

That should - 'Well my pet hate is people whose pet hate is that of people whose pet hates are against commentators' pronuncation of players' names.'  O0

And that also isn't my pet hate.  It works on many more levels than that.  It applies to commentators AND pundits...

:lol:

Gotcha :thup:

People who have a go at pet hates are daft; everyone's got 'em - you don't have to agree.

In fairness, i didn't really phrase that initial entry particularly well. What i mean is one moment Pearce will pronounce "Pereira" with an exaggerated Portuguese accent, then the next moment he'll just call him "Pereira". Obviously it's quite difficult to establish the disparity in sounds through written text, but if we were face-to-face you'd get what i mean. :pow:

Guest fraser

What problems would it create if implemented properly?

It was cricket that concentrated my mind on this. The starting point for appeals against decisions is whether, for instance, the ball that got somebody lbw is a legitimate one; that is nobody should be given out lbw or caught behind to a no-ball. In rugby the referee will generally ask if there is a reason why a try can't be awarded. In fact, the reviews go further back than the actual incident. In the case of the Ukraine goal the other night if the question had been is there any reason not to award the goal as opposed to did it cross the line, the answer would have been yes as there was a significant infringement in the move immediately leading to the goal. How far back in a move do you go for a missed infringement. Whilst I smart at Lampard's non-goal two years ago I think the use of technology only for goal-line issues would be generally unfair (ie v Ukraine) and to fully employ it would lead to massive delays in games if it were it to be done fairly to the defending side.

Yeah I agree actually, there would need to be a whole new appeal system (or whatever) to implement it properly. Not that I would be against such a system if it was done properly.

I really don't see the fuss about "was it over?" incidents anyway, they're few and far between and one of the last things that needs sorting out in the game imo when we have goals given/taken away every week for other incorrect decisions. It's just a flavour of the month thing.

Footballers wearing stupid fucking coloured boots with shit plastic 3mm triangle studs then slipping over every five minutes. Never mind what they look like, make sure they do what they're supposed to do first.