Bellamy to retire early?

GM

Injuries could finish me off in two years, says Craig Bellamy

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/nov/19/craig-bellamy-manchester-city

• 'Maybe I've got one or two years at the most,' says Bellamy

• Forward says everything at City has gone well

Craig Bellamy suspects his career is entering a twilight zone and fears he could be forced to retire within the next two years. Yet until that day dawns the Manchester City and Wales forward intends to rage against the dying of the light and tonight vowed to relish his every remaining minute at Eastlands.

The 30-year-old has been in vibrant form this season, scoring five times for City, but is concerned the debilitating legacy of a series of serious, principally knee, injuries will catch up with him sooner rather than later.

"I know there are not four or five years ahead of me, not with the injuries I've had," revealed Bellamy. "Maybe I've got one or two years at the most. It will be all over before I know it, so I'm just enjoying it."

He is pleased to be concluding his sometimes turbulent playing days under Mark Hughes's management. The Manchester City manager, Bellamy's mentor during his time in charge of Wales and, later, Blackburn, possesses the knack of bringing the best out of one of the league's most versatile, pacy and technically adept strikers.

"Everything at Manchester City has gone well for me from start to finish," said Bellamy who relishes Hughes's "no excuses" culture. "It's so professional here. The manager is clever – he doesn't want to give any of the players reason to moan. He makes sure the only thing you have to concentrate on is football."

Hughes, meanwhile, expects Gareth Barry to shrug off a groin problem in time to face Liverpool on Saturday. The midfielder suffered some discomfort following England's friendly defeat against Brazil last week but City's manager said: "Gareth came back with a little bit of soreness but it should not be a problem for the weekend."

Although he is extremely unlikely to omit Barry at Anfield, Hughes plans to rest the 28-year-old at some stage. "It is a long season and there are going to be times where we'll have to protect Gareth," he said. "We're mindful that Gareth has played so much for us and for England. We want to keep him fresh and well for key games."

Similarly Alberto Aquilani may have to be patient for a little longer before making his long-awaited first start for Liverpool following a £20m summer move from Roma. Rafael Benítez has played down suggestions that the Italy international, recently recovered from ankle surgery, will begin against City. "Alberto understands the reasons he cannot start yet," said Liverpool's manager. "We have a responsibility to him and will not take any risks." Benítez expects Steven Gerrard, Glen Johnson and Daniel Agger to be involved on Saturday.

Guest Stephen927

:laugh: Early retirements for Bellamy and Tevez; bet City are chuffed (cos dey're propa skint and won't be able to replace them). When's his contract up?

Still another 3 and a half years to run.

Didn't he say his career was almost over when he got injured with us years ago?

He sounds a bit melodramatic, but you never know, it happens to some players. The cynic in me reckons he's on a big salary there and knows City won't want him in a couple of years, meaning a massive salary cut to play elsewhere.

Didn't he say his career was almost over when he got injured with us years ago?

He sounds a bit melodramatic, but you never know, it happens to some players. The cynic in me reckons he's on a big salary there and knows City won't want him in a couple of years, meaning a massive salary cut to play elsewhere.

IIRC, he said pretty much what he said here a few years back - injuries meant he the clock was already ticking for him.

Guest Heneage

he doesn't offer much apart from pace, and that goes in the 30s.

Complete rubbish.

What does he offer to a team outside of his pace? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, I'm just curious as to what you think.

Guest Heneage

Touch, vision, awareness, passing, much improved finishing, tenacity, shooting from distance.

You just described a lot of players, but I don't think he was one of them, his finishing is good, but you watch his game a lot of is based on him getting a defender one on one and burning them for pace.

Touch, vision, awareness, passing, much improved finishing, tenacity, shooting from distance.

You just described a lot of players, but I don't think he was one of them, his finishing is good, but you watch his game a lot of is based on him getting a defender one on one and burning them for pace.

His awareness of players around him is fantastic now, everytime I see City score he always seems to be involved somehow. I don't think he's as quick now as he was here but he's improved a lot in other ways. His partnership with Shearer was superb but it was his intelligent running rather than just him being quick that made it. Oba for instance alongside Shearer wouldn't have had the same impact despite him having arguably superior physical attributes.

I personally find it quite amusing that Bellamy is City's most effective player by a mile despite all the silly money they've pissed up the wall.

Has been their best player everytime I've seen them this season. Shame his career has been so injury ravaged really, he could have gone on to be top class. Since we signed him the only spell that hasn't really worked out for him has been Liverpool weirdly, but he did ok there.

I personally find it quite amusing that Bellamy is City's most effective player by a mile despite all the silly money they've pissed up the wall.

Has been their best player everytime I've seen them this season. Shame his career has been so injury ravaged really, he could have gone on to be top class. Since we signed him the only spell that hasn't really worked out for him has been Liverpool weirdly, but he did ok there.

He was decent at Liverpool, but he never got a proper run in the team (although I put that down to Rafa's mental rotation policy, which was at its peak when Bellamy was there).

His movement and as Mowen said awareness of those around him is top class.