Which fruit?

Kaizero

Which fruit out of the four would you rather eat?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Which fruit out of the four would you rather eat?

• Orange
    • Apple
    • Banana
    • Pear

Which one of the four options of fruit would you rather eat, and why, if you could only eat one? 

Orange

http://www.thedailygreen.com/cm/thedailygreen/images/oranges-vitamin-c-lg.jpg

The Orange is the fruit of a tall evergreen tree (up to 10 meters high) and it is called a hesperidium – a type of berry. The plant in originally from Southeast Asia and has a tasty orange flesh, covered by a thick skin also orange. Although all the citrus fruits are sour, oranges have two varieties: bitter and sweet. Bitter oranges have been successfully replaced in the 11th century by the sweet ones. There are many other orange varieties. Navel orange, Valencia orange or Blood Orange are the most popular.

The Orange is very appreciated in many industries. Orange oils are used in cosmetics, aromatherapy, or flavoring foods. Due to its high content of s-Lemonene (which is used in hand cleaning and furniture polish) it may cause cancer to rats and it is considered very toxic in many countries. Orange juice is one on the list of commodities traded on the New York Board of Trade. This is a very nutritious fruit.  Only 100 grams of orange flesh contains 75% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin C , almost 30% of vitamin B, magnesium, potassium, and sugars. The skin is dried and used for making a great tea, a natural cure for colds. Flavanone and herperidine have benefic effects on decreasing blood pressure and cholesterol. Also, the British Journal of Nutrition stated that a glass of orange juice may be more efficient and healthier than vitamin C alone.

Apple

http://www.helsedirektoratet.no/vp/multimedia/archive/00018/oppkuttet_eple_18631a.jpg

“Malus domestica” is the name of one the most popular and cultivated tree fruit in the world. The tree has a medium size and it is deciduous. It reaches 5-12 m tall and has a dense crown. The leaves are simple, oval shaped with approximate dimensions of 5–12 cm long and 3–6 cm broad. Flowers and budding of the leaves are produced simultaneously in spring.

Firstly, the apple tree is originated in Asia, especially in Kazakhstan, in a region called “Almaty” (which means “reach of the apples”). It is said that Alexander the Great is the one responsible for bringing the first apples in Greece in the year 300 BC. In America they were brought later, in the 1600’s.

There are more than 7500 known cultivars in the world. They are used for preparing not only lots of delicious foods, but also apple juice, cider, cider kin, vinegar, and pectin.

After being considered in the Greek Mythology as a symbol for love (gift of Aphrodite, the goddess of love) and in the Bible as the symbol for sin and promiscuousness, today apples are considered very important because of the health benefits they are responsible for.

As for commerce, China is leading successfully, followed by the United States and Turkey. From the amount of apples produced per year worldwide (55 million tones), China produces 40% of it.

The proverb “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” is spread all over the world and it is not far from the truth. Apples are perfect hosts for vitamins C and B, antioxidants and very important phenol compounds. Due to these combinations apples may help in reducing the risk of colon prostate and lung cancer, in heart diseases and controlling cholesterol. It is advisable to wash the skin for removing any contaminants. Although apple pips taste a little bit bitter (because they contain traces of cyanide) the quantity is not enough to be harmful.

Banana

http://culinspiration.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/banana.jpg

The banana is the fruit of a pseudo stem plant, grown from an approximately 7 m high corm. The plant was domesticated in Southeastern Asia and archaeological discoveries have shown that cultivation of the wild variety dated since 500 BC.  The fruit can be very tasty when ripe and eaten raw, but it is also a common ingredient in some cuisines as unripe fruits. The texture varies from firm to mushy while the taste is sweet when ripe (that is when than color is bright yellow, sometimes even purple or red) and starchy when unripe (the color may seem greenish).

The most famous banana cultivar is “Cavendish”- it became a celebrity in global commerce in the ‘50s when the popular banana cultivar at that time, “Gros Michel”, was attacked by the Panama disease. The reason for which Cavendish bananas are so appreciated is not the taste, nor the flavor, but the less perishable properties it has. While the other cultivars must be collected while still unripe, Cavendish can be transported in a longer time and with lower costs because they ripe slower than the other varieties.

Bananas are used in tropical countries as a major staple food, just as Europeans use potatoes; but bananas are far healthier than potatoes. Only 100 grams of banana flesh contains 22 rams of carbohydrates, more than 30% vitamin B, and 15% vitamin C, not to mention large amounts of potassium, phosphorus and magnesium. Although on the healthiest fruit list, bananas can cause allergies: the oral allergy syndrome (itchiness and swelling after approximately one hour after ingestion) and latex allergy (which can lead to urticaria and gastrointestinal problems).

The top banana producer is India with 23% of the worldwide crop, followed by Brazil and China. Due to the high demand and the large and important producers, bananas have been available as a “fair trade” is some countries.

Pear

http://matlyst.samlaget.no/_upl/bilete/paere.jpg

Pears are fruits of the plant in the genus “Pyrus” and their name comes from remote times in Vulgar Latin. They are originally from the temperate zones of the Old World (Western Europe, North Africa and Eastern Asia). Cultivation of pears is dated since ancient times in Rome, Greece and even near the Swiss lakes. These are trees with a medium height (6-10 meters) with alternated glossy green leaves and small yellow to white perfumed flowers. There are more than 30 species of pears. Depending on flavor, shape or size: Almond-leafed pear, Chinese white pear, Callery Pear, Plymouth Pear, Algerian Pear, Snow Pear, Willow-leafed Pear are just a few of the most popular and appreciated varieties.

The good news is that the pear is the least allergenic of all fruits. Together with Soya and lamb it makes the perfect diet for hyper allergenic people. It is also nutritious. Just 100 grams of raw pears provides 15% carbohydrates, 10% sugars, 10% vitamin B and the same percent for Copper and 7% vitamin C. Due to its high content of copper helps eliminating the superoxids in the human body - the ones responsible for damaging cell membranes.

The fiber not just prevents constipation, but also maintains cholesterol and diabetic heart disease in normal parameters. Pears are known for assuring the colon’s health and therefore they have a major benefic impact on reducing colon cancer risk.

Many varieties can be great houseplants. It is the case of the shrub Siberian Pear, which the most common houseplant from its genus. The disadvantage, though, is that house planted pears are not edible.

When I get up tomorrow morning I'm almost certain I will not want a pear.

So if I come back on here I might have to change my vote, depends what I'm having for breakfast really but it will be either apple or banana.

So if I come back on here I might have to change my vote, depends what I'm having for breakfast really but it will be either apple or banana.

You can only have one. :angry:

:razz:

You can only have one. :angry:

:razz:

Right now it is a pear, no doubt about it.

But after a few hours sleep and at breakfast time I know for a fact it I'd rather have an apple or a banana, probably an apple to be honest.

I like grated apple with my breakfast.

To complicate things after my choice of banana btw, I should point out apple crumble is probably my favourite pudding. Lush.

A pudding isn't a fruit though. Even if it has fruit in it, it's something else now with the taste of the fruit(s) in it.

BANANANANANA

There was something depressingly predictable about that.

I fear he will sexually abuse the banana. He should totally have chosen Apple and spared that poor Banana all the psychological pain it'll have to deal with until it turns brown.

When I was pregnant I craved oranges to the point where I would get panicky if there were none in the house, I used to ring Himself every day at work to bring a bagful home, to be greeted with the phrase "What the fuck have you done with the bag I brought home yesterday?!" I'm surprised the bairn didn't come out looking Tango'd  :laugh:

Guest toonlass

When I was pregnant I craved oranges to the point where I would get panicky if there were none in the house, I used to ring Himself every day at work to bring a bagful home, to be greeted with the phrase "What the fuck have you done with the bag I brought home yesterday?!" I'm surprised the bairn didn't come out looking Tango'd  :laugh:

My mam had the same thing when she was pregnant with me, and used to get my dad to bring a bag of oranges home every day from work.

I voted banana by the way.