Memories from the 70s, 80s, 90s

cp40

I just remember the crushes when I was a bairn. And sitting at the front of the Gallowgate as a bairn, and having been passed over people's heads to the front so that we could see. Loads of bairns and the adults all stood behind us.

taking the piss blef ?

Nope

i've been going since the 70's and don't remember kids being passed over peoples heads to the front.

youl remember the peanuts tho?

I just remember the crushes when I was a bairn. And sitting at the front of the Gallowgate as a bairn, and having been passed over people's heads to the front so that we could see. Loads of bairns and the adults all stood behind us.

taking the piss blef ?

Nope

i've been going since the 70's and don't remember kids being passed over peoples heads to the front.

youl remember the peanuts tho?

alfie peanuts of peanut aggro fame.

went to a reserve game , mid 80s. at the back of the Weststand. The corrugated Tin it was made from, was so loose, you could easily have climbed through the gaps in the back.  tho it was about 80ft straight down.

east stand  wasn't he. with the hammers in the east stand/leazes corner ?

I'm 99% sure they were in the corner of the Leazes, I was in the corner of the Gallowgate that day.

i was in the e-wing paddock. the west ham fans were in that corner but i'm sure the bomb came from the east stand right next to the corner.

Correct. I was stood behind the Leazes goal and can remember seeing the petrol bomb flying out of the East stand paddock. Can still visualise the Hammers fans who were pretty well packed in, all moving back as the bomb burned out on the terrace.

Guest toonlass

There's a really good picture of the incident kicking about somewhere. Cass Pennant is close to where it landed and mentioned it in his (shit) autobiography.

Absolute shite book that was. It was one of those books that you feel angry that you have wasted your time reading it.

My old man used to call him 'Useless Useless'. He actually developed into a half decent full back.

He was one of those players that I couldn't believe we got a fee for, another was Kevin Scott.

I quite liked Scott..i thought he had potential.

Having to escape onto the pitch when the Gallowgate Corner started to want a go at the Everton fans beside us in the East Stand Paddock.

Having bits of terrace thrown at us a Burnden Park while fans behind us were pissing on the one's in front. Everyone too squashed to move.

14,000 going to Anfield.

Standing at the front of the Leazes throwing those peanuts at policemen.

Wearing a denim jacket with all kind of badges sewn on; wishing I had butchers coat as well.

Hibs "friendly" at home.

Loads more, it was definitely more fun back then and for most of it much worse football.

Some great memories -

1.Chris Waddle

2.Peter Beardsley(hat-trick v Mackems in 85,fantastic solo goal against Forest in 86, brilliant chip over Corrigan in final game of 83/84 when we had won promotion, and many more...)

3.Gazza(took the place by storm in his first major appearance v Spurs in 85, and was such a great talent - could have been the best-ever NE England player if his brain had matched his ability ; WORLD'S better than Beckham for natural talent).

4.KK and the promotion season of 83/84, esp the unforgettable Easter game against Carlisle when we won 5-1 and knew we were going up...

5. Being the first English club to sign a Brazilian(Mirandinha)in 1987 - a much better player than many gave him credit for but in the wrong place at the wrong time ; never recovered from hamstring injury on Luton's plastic pitch.

6. The sad relegation of 89 which we knew we had to have to get rid of McKeag & Co

I remember getting the midnight train for London games which used to arrive at about 6am. Then we'd go drinking in either Vauxhall (gay bar which used to have some horrific sights at that time in the morning) or Spitalfields Market near Liverpool Street.

Ironically I now drink regularly in one of the bars in Spitalfields (The Gun) that we used to go to all those years ago.

Those trips also used to frequently end up with missing the kick-off so explaining to your Mam that you'd left the house at 5pm on the Friday and still missed some of the game was always a chore.

Some great memories -

1.Chris Waddle

2.Peter Beardsley(hat-trick v Mackems in 85,fantastic solo goal against Forest in 86, brilliant chip over Corrigan in final game of 83/84 when we had won promotion, and many more...)

3.Gazza(took the place by storm in his first major appearance v Spurs in 85, and was such a great talent - could have been the best-ever NE England player if his brain had matched his ability ; WORLD'S better than Beckham for natural talent).

4.KK and the promotion season of 83/84, esp the unforgettable Easter game against Carlisle when we won 5-1 and knew we were going up...

5. Being the first English club to sign a Brazilian(Mirandinha)in 1987 - a much better player than many gave him credit for but in the wrong place at the wrong time ; never recovered from hamstring injury on Luton's plastic pitch.

6. The sad relegation of 89 which we knew we had to have to get rid of McKeag & Co

Best thing about the carlisle game was Kevin Carr's penalty save, then he saves the rebound and 3 passes later we are scoring at the gallowgate end!!  Jumping around like a loon celebrating the penalty save and still celebrating as Beardsley(or KK) scores at the other end,  mental and never seen that happen since.

Guest Brummiemag

early 80s,...more 70s, white butchers coats with writing, drawings on them, wtf was that about?

Ive got vague memories of a bloke in a butchers coat with writing all over it. I seem to remember he was a bit of a nutter and on one occasion, (it may have been at the old ayresome park) he jumped into the no mans land between supporters and charged towards the home fans and was being cheered on by the newcastle fans before being arrested by the police - anyone remember this?

I also remember a home game against Chelsea I guess around 1980 - 82, where for months before the newcastle fans at away games had been chanting 'Chelsea Must Die'. I think something must have happened at Chelsea earlier that season and there was a lots of bad feeling.  There was quite a lot of trouble before and after the game and I remember hundreds of toon fans gathering at the station after the game to try and get at the 200 Chelsea fans. Quite a few newcastle fans were arrested. Can anyone remember this and the history behind it?   

early 80s,...more 70s, white butchers coats with writing, drawings on them, wtf was that about?

Ive got vague memories of a bloke in a butchers coat with writing all over it. I seem to remember he was a bit of a nutter and on one occasion, (it may have been at the old ayresome park) he jumped into the no mans land between supporters and charged towards the home fans and was being cheered on by the newcastle fans before being arrested by the police - anyone remember this?

I also remember a home game against Chelsea I guess around 1980 - 82, where for months before the newcastle fans at away games had been chanting 'Chelsea Must Die'. I think something must have happened at Chelsea earlier that season and there was a lots of bad feeling.  There was quite a lot of trouble before and after the game and I remember hundreds of toon fans gathering at the station after the game to try and get at the 200 Chelsea fans. Quite a few newcastle fans were arrested. Can anyone remember this and the history behind it?   

i don't think there was any particular incident that lead to the bad feeliong with chelsea as much as at that time the football casual thing was just getting underway with chelseas headhunters,millwalls bushwhackers and west hams ICF being the most notorious of the time.

Guest johnson293

Couple of great memories from my first season going to the match (1987-88)

Beating Luton 5-0 at home, with O'Neills hattrick, and Wharton sitting on the ball....

Mirandinha kicking Dave Beasant up the Arse as the teams left at FT, and being chased off the pitch towards the dressing rooms (in Leazes corner) by Wimbledon FC, after they beat us 3-1 in cup replay...

Players sponsored cars - the root of all transfer rumours back in the day... The rumours always started by a car having been seen outside Pattersons with a players name on it ready.

I'm sure I'll think of some more!

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Anyone remember a game at home against Derby when it was so windy Peter Shilton could barely kick the ball out of his own box when taking goal kicks?

Anyone remember a game at home against Derby when it was so windy Peter Shilton could barely kick the ball out of his own box when taking goal kicks?

Was that a ZDS or FA Cup game? I was at both and I remember the wind, but not which game!

I also remember being one of about 9000 that turned up in rotten weather for a home game v Oxford in 91 or 92. Game was called off at HT with the score at 1-1. The rain seemed of biblical proportions - I kid you not. Game should have never started and did we get our money back? Did we bollocks!

I also remember an FA Cup game v Bournemouth that had to be called off due to fog after about 10mins. Was so bad, you could barely make out the Milburn Stand from the Scoreboard. At least for the rearranged game, they let us back in for half price.... and we lost on pens too!

What's the craic about Butchers Coats, for those of us too young to remember?

Was that a ZDS or FA Cup game? I was at both and I remember the wind, but not which game!

I also remember being one of about 9000 that turned up in rotten weather for a home game v Oxford in 91 or 92. Game was called off at HT with the score at 1-1. The rain seemed of biblical proportions - I kid you not. Game should have never started and did we get our money back? Did we bollocks!

I also remember an FA Cup game v Bournemouth that had to be called off due to fog after about 10mins. Was so bad, you could barely make out the Milburn Stand from the Scoreboard. At least for the rearranged game, they let us back in for half price.... and we lost on pens too!

yeah, was at that rained off oxford game.

i know its just out of the 8os, but was anyone at the Boro big screen match, and the play offs against sundland?

Guest TheKingOfNewcastle

Yeah, I remember the Boro game on the beamback. They expected us to stay in the Gallowgate, but the screen was so small everyone ran on the pitch to watch it.