Help with laptop/netbook and creating a new broadband connection

Guest toonlass

Guest toonlass

Ok, got up this morning and my laptop just wouldn't switch on. Have only had the bloody thing for 2 months but PC world said it has to go away to be fixed. It isn't a problem with the charger btw, they have tested that, the unit just won't switch in on when you press the button.

Anyway had already bought the bairn a netbook for Christmas and am currently using a vodaphone dongle to come online, but want to connect it to my BT Home Hub, but as you all know I am the second least IT savvy person on here*. Can anyone run me through how to set up this netbook to connect via the hub wirelessly please, preferably in easy terms, thanks.

*after Nixon

first off under the hub, or on the back it will have two thoings to keep a note of.

ssid = bthomehub12345 (or something similar)

wep key = a1b2c3 etc (or similar)

on the netbook you need to scan for wireless networks, slightly different depending on what the thing is running, i'm guessing xp? also you need to make sure the netbook's wireless is switched on, possibly a button on the side of it.

when the scan results show you should see a list of available networks, one that matches the ssid bit on your hub, double click that one and it should ask for a key/password, thats where you enter the wep bit, just the letters and numbers, its case sensitive so make sure you put capitals where they should.

hope that helps.

Guest toonlass

Thanks for that advice, the netbook's wireless is on, but in the Network Connection part there is nothing in the Network Tasks saying search for available networks, it just says Create a new network, Set up a home or office network or Change Firewall settings. Anymore advice please?

are you sure the wireless is turned on? there should be a light showing that its on? if there isnt a seperate switch for it there should bhe a function key, look along the top of the keyboard, f1, f2 etc, one of them should have an icon indicating an aerial/wireless, you need to press and hold the FN key at bottom left of keyboard and relevant wireless function key, you should then see it turn wireless on/off each press.

if its xp there should be an icon next to the clock on the bottom right, where it will let you search for available networks.

if its linux, or similar, then i'm not sure.

can you give us the make/model?

gave info for vista and xp

go to start > control panel > network connections or network sharing center> you will see a wireless icon and ethernet icon or you will need to click on manage network connections on the left > rick click on wireless icon > your looking for either connect to a network or view available wireless networks > left click on this > will bring up a list of networks > look on back of hub for your ssid > left click on your ssid > enter password (found on back of hub)