London Mags: Pint for £2 if you wear a toon top

Guest saintscoobz

Guest saintscoobz

Calling all London Mags!

I have found a toon friendly pub that shows all the televised Newcastle games (with commentary). The place is called 'The Hercules Pillars' and is on Great Queen Street (nearest tube Holborn).  The managers name is Karl and he is a geordie, so if you fancy watching the match in slightly more comfortable surroundings than the cock and lion, check this place out.

The Cock and Lion is far too narrow to replace the Barley Mow. Plus, not having a Geordie landlord like John is a big miss too. That Russian wife scares the sh!t out of me!

The Cock and Lion is far too narrow to replace the Barley Mow. Plus, not having a Geordie landlord like John is a big miss too. That Russian wife scares the sh!t out of me!

Is the Barley Mow no more?

I haven't been in London for a while, but in the past I had some excellent nights in there.

The Barley Mow still exists but is just another London boozer after John and Mary left in 2007 (I think). The London Mags organised a similar arrangement with the Cock and Lion on Wigmore Street, close to Bond Street tube but the other side of Oxford St. It's a bit small, especially for the bigger games. Serves a purpose but lacks something IMO.

Guest saintscoobz

the barley mow was class but the last time i went in, it was full of people in suits drinking expensive wine.  The cock and lion is ok but just not big enough to cater for the number of mags that get together in central london and has put me off watching the games there.

Karl the landlord of the hercules is a real sound lad and wont get pissed off when we're in full voice like that scary woman at the cock and lion, remember one game (cant remember who against) when she told us all off at half time because 'someone grabbed her 'tush'?

remember one game (cant remember who against) when she told us all off at half time because 'someone grabbed her 'tush'?

Remember that (makems 11/07)- very funny!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest saintscoobz

Watching the boro game at the hercules if anyone fancies joining me for a few festive beers.  Think the landlord is going to do something for those in toon tops as well. See you there

TBH I find the atmosphere in the Cock and Lion spot on, and while the landlady can have her moments, she and her husband have both been brilliant and have looked after us well since we moved away from the Barley Mow.

Agree it can get quite packed out for some of the bigger games, though, so it'll be good at have this other place as an overflow!

TBH I find the atmosphere in the Cock and Lion spot on, and while the landlady can have her moments, she and her husband have both been brilliant and have looked after us well since we moved away from the Barley Mow.

Agree it can get quite packed out for some of the bigger games, though, so it'll be good at have this other place as an overflow!

The atmosphere has got nowt to do with the boozer though, rather the people who frequent it when the Toon are on the box. I'll be at the Hercules for the smoggies, and I'll report my findings here.

Guest saintscoobz

Just found out that a pint of fosters is only £2 during the match if you wear a toon top.  Cant wait I love getting pissed on less than a tenner!

Guest saintscoobz

Just found out that a pint of fosters is only £2 during the match if you wear a toon top.  Cant wait I love getting pissed on less than a tenner!

Where?

the hercules pillars, 18 Great Queen Street, Holborn, WC2 5DG Nearest tube: Holborn

Guest saintscoobz

bloody cockneys pissed after 4 pints   O0

yeah but 4 pints down here costs about the same as 6 treble vodkas in town, so you learn to get pissed quickly. Oh and by the way I'm originally from Newcastle.