Newcastle v Swansea, 15:00 Saturday, 28 November 2009 Pre game thread

Astroblack

Swansea will cause us problems and I can't see us winning the match. Solid defence and with pacy wingers, they'd relish playing up here on our big pitch.

Harper

Simpson        S Taylor      Coloccini      Enrique

R Taylor            Smith          Nolan          Jonas

Carroll          Ranger

BENCH: Krul, Kadar, Khiz, Guthrie, Pancrate, Ameobi/Harewood, Lovenkrands

Boro beat them 3-0, they can't be that solid.

It was the 3rd game of the season, we were without most of our first team through injury and suspension and we were still realing from the change in management and disruption that caused.

We're a totally different animal now as this CLICK HERE table shows.

We have beaten QPR and cardiff at home and West Brom away.

If you think we it will be an easy game you are in for a rude awakening.

Simpson was very good. My Blackburn supporting mate called him their 'best player at the back end of last season' and I thought he was taking the piss. He looks a very good prospect for RB.

Big Head only played him in one league after Crimbo & that was a 4-0 defeat, his loan deal ended early. I guess your mate got a eye for Danny boy in the cup games & the early league games.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=46064

Another set of Blackburn eyes other than your mate

http://roversreturn.net/2009/01/15/danny-simpson-evaluation/

Harper

Simpson Colo Taylor Enrique

Taylor  Nolan Guthrie Jonas

Ranger

Carroll

Thats the team i'd play. We need one forward with a least some pace. I'll still be happy ish if he plays Smith CM just as long as he does not play bloody Harewood.

GARRY Monk has told Swansea City to show the Toon Army how good they are St James' Park on Saturday.

Swansea head north on the back of an 11-game unbeaten run but will start as firm underdogs nevertheless against the Championship's most glamorous club, Newcastle United.

A crowd in excess of 40,000 is expected to watch the leaders take on fourth-placed Swansea — and Monk wants Paulo Sousa's men to strut their stuff on the big stage.

"This is one of those games where you have to go and enjoy it," the Swansea captain said.

"You can't go into it fearing anything — we have to go there thinking 'let's show what we can do'.

"They are proper football fans up at Newcastle, and at 5pm on Saturday we want them to be thinking that they have just watched a good side in Swansea.

"That's what I'll be saying to the lads before the game — let's show how good we are."

Monk rates St James' as the best ground he has played at having turned out there for Southampton nine years ago.

The Saints were 3-0 down by the time Monk came off the bench in the 24th minute and ended up losing 5-0.

But the centre-back, who faced Alan Shearer and Duncan Ferguson in the home attack, still has fond memories of the day.

"It's my favourite ground because the atmosphere was superb when I played there," he added.

"Although we were well beaten, I actually did okay against two very good strikers.

"It's one of those games you want to be involved in and, while we will be definite underdogs this weekend, I know we can handle it if we are at our best.

"You look at their squad and they have players worth millions and millions, but we have shown in the past that we can give these teams a game.

"We have proved people wrong in the past and we can do it again."

Monk's hopes of featuring on Saturday have been hit by the ongoing calf problem he first suffered in the win over Queens Park Rangers in early October.

The 30-year-old considers himself 90 per cent fit, but may miss out if Swansea decide not to risk aggravating the problem.

"I was very disappointing to miss the Cardiff game and Newcastle is another one that you really want to play in," he said.

"We will see how I get on in the next couple of days and if I have to rest to avoid a longer lay-off, that's what I'll do.

"It's a tough game, but hopefully we can keep our good run going.

"If not we will look to start another one straightaway, and then we will see where we are in the table after Christmas."

As well as Monk, Swansea again have concerns over Mark Gower (back) ahead of the Newcastle trip.

And Stephen Dobbie is also a doubt after injuring an ankle while on reserve-team duty yesterday.

http://www.skysports.com/fanzone/blogs/story/0,24015,16901_5718730,00.html

I'd like to think he will try and start with the team that he intended to put out against PNE, however i think he might drop Guthrie for Taylor and Harewood will probably start up front.

Either way i fancy us to beat Swansea.

If Ryan Taylor is fit, I'd play him at right back ahead of Simpson and Ranger or Lovenkrands up top in place of Harewood.

I think Taylor is key to alot of the chances we create but i wouldn't have him at right back over Simpson, unless Simpson is unfit.

If Ryan Taylor is fit, I'd play him at right back ahead of Simpson and Ranger or Lovenkrands up top in place of Harewood.

I think Taylor is key to alot of the chances we create but i wouldn't have him at right back over Simpson, unless Simpson is unfit.

With Simpson at right back, I don't think we have enough support or quality going forward. Look at the other wing with Jonas and Enrique then compare it to the right. I think it's important that Guthrie plays so I'd keep him in the side, with Taylor getting forward ahead of Guthrie to offer a ball out wide if Guthrie cuts inside.

Harper

Simpson, Saylor, Colo, Jose

Raylor, Nolan, Smith, Jonas

Lover, Carroll

Tough call in midfield with Guthrie, pancake and Butt (Im not down with this 'Butt Bashing' like) all in contention. Unless we swap Smith for Guthrie at home for a little more creativity.

We have to play Nolan in the centre and CANNOT play Guthrie on the right.

Guthrie over smith at home may be a good idea, depends if his form is as good as Smiths....

Its a toughy, but thats why Im not the manager!