Peter Beardsley offers Paul Gascoigne football lifeline at Newcastle United

Thespence

Gazza Arrested On Drunk And Disorderly Rap

Former England football star Paul Gascoigne has been arrested for being drunk and disorderly, police said.

The former Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder was taken into custody in the early hours of the morning following a disturbance in the Jesmond area of Newcastle.

Gascoigne, 42, who has faced a long battle with alcohol, was arrested at about 2.15am after police arrived at Jesmond Park West.

He was later taken to a police station before receiving a fixed penalty notice for being drunk and disorderly.

Police could not confirm how much the notice was for, but fines are set at £50 and £80, depending on the seriousness of the offence.

Gascoigne spoke recently about how he was getting his life back on track.

"Now, when I wake up in the morning I know what I did yesterday; what I did last night; I know what I'm going to do that day. I'm not rushing anything; I'm just enjoying being myself," he said.

180 Gazza Paul Gascoigne football

Gazza in his England prime

He has been supporting Newcastle and Gateshead's joint bid to be host cities for the 2018 World Cup, travelling to Wembley in November with former teammates Peter Beardsley and Alan Shearer.

He spoke then of his debt to Beardsley, 48, for helping him battle back from alcoholism and depression.

He said Beardsley, who now works as a coach at Newcastle United's youth academy, had invited him to training sessions and had been helping keep his fridge stocked with milk and groceries instead of booze.

Gascoigne said the daily routine of the training sessions had given him a new lease of life and that he'd soon begin studying for his coaching badges.

The former England hero, who played at Newcastle, Spurs, Lazio, Rangers, Middlesbrough and in China, went public about his continuing battle with addiction in March.

Gazza was sectioned three times under the mental health act last year.

He has described how when he hit rock bottom he was taking cocaine and drinking a

a litre of gin a day, which left him delusional and afraid to leave his room.

this is hilarious. everyone squeals about jobs for the boys but seem happy for gazza to be involved and as an aside i've heard a lot more bad than good about beardsleys coaching. what they had you couldn't teach. wharton,beardsley,gazza......the croneyism everyone is supposed to want rid of.

the boot room culture was terrible at Liverpool, when they were winning the european cup and league.

the bootroom cultire at liverpool proved it could do well. the croneyism at nufc has proved it is jobs for the boys yet in my eyes the one who gets slagged for it most (terry mac) done a damn sight more in his capacity than all the others put together.

There has to be a high degree of sympathy for Gazza and to be honest, the fact that he does not appear to have the strength of mind to beat alcoholism and drug dependency only emphasises the point that people need to gather around and help him more.

Gazza has never been the same since his injury in the FA Cup final against Forest and ultimately, his inability to handle the above problems plus his personal relationships has destroyed him as a person. Furthermore, the fact that after he quit playing, there was little or no involvement in football has only plunged him further into the depths of despair. What a crying shame for what was Englands greatest talent and for a human being.

I sincerely hope the club and Beardsley, do not cast him away. If they do, I can only foresee a quick and senseless end for him.

There has to be a high degree of sympathy for Gazza and to be honest, the fact that he does not appear to have the strength of mind to beat alcoholism and drug dependency only emphasises the point that people need to gather around and help him more.

Gazza has never been the same since his injury in the FA Cup final against Forest and ultimately, his inability to handle the above problems plus his personal relationships has destroyed him as a person. Furthermore, the fact that after he quit playing, there was little or no involvement in football has only plunged him further into the depths of despair. What a crying shame for what was Englands greatest talent and for a human being.

I sincerely hope the club and Beardsley, do not cast him away. If they do, I can only foresee a quick and senseless end for him.

in talking to people at work etc it seems strange that most of those with sympathy for him are the same twats that would have no sympathy if he was the builder from the bottom of the street.

it would be ok if the club were to help him out in some way but not by having him on the payroll.

• 1 month later...
Guest toonlass

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/8503968.stm

Former England football star Paul Gascoigne was being quizzed by police after he was arrested on suspicion of being drunk in charge of a vehicle.

He was taken into custody on Sunday night after police were called to a disturbance at a takeaway in Leeming Bar, North Yorkshire.

The 42-year-old and another man were being questioned.

Last December, Gascoigne was given a fixed penalty notice for being drunk and disorderly in Newcastle.

A real shame he hasn't died yet.

:facepalm:

He's a disgrace to his him, his family, his friends and to us right now since he's part of the coaching staff. He's a danger and a menace to himself and now to others. Drink drivers are the scum of the earth, alcoholic wife beaters just as bad, he's both! He had his last chance when Beardsley offered him a lifeline, and he's blown it twice that the public know of, he's probably been getting twatted every day and night, nice role model to our kids he's is/was coaching.

Guest johnson293

A real shame he hasn't died yet.

:facepalm:

He's a disgrace to his him, his family, his friends and to us right now since he's part of the coaching staff. He's a danger and a menace to himself and now to others. Drink drivers are the scum of the earth, alcoholic wife beaters just as bad, he's both! He had his last chance when Beardsley offered him a lifeline, and he's blown it twice that the public know of, he's probably been getting twatted every day and night, nice role model to our kids he's is/was coaching.

I dont disagree with any of that - I do still think your previous post was in poor taste though.

saw him last week in the corner house.

had a good chat with him.

seemed a lovely guy, and was very kind.

real shame.

no excuses for drink driving though.

He is a real nice guy - maybe too nice - and a very vulnerable person. A living tragedy in some ways.

Was the best English player I'd ever seen but Rooney has surpassed him now.

Wonder how it may have turned out if he'd gone to ManU instead of Spurs all them years ago ?

saw him last week in the corner house.

had a good chat with him.

seemed a lovely guy, and was very kind.

real shame.

no excuses for drink driving though.

He is a real nice guy - maybe too nice - and a very vulnerable person. A living tragedy in some ways.

Was the best English player I'd ever seen but Rooney has surpassed him now.

Wonder how it may have turned out if he'd gone to ManU instead of Spurs all them years ago ?

So Rooney's a better player than Shearer?

Or did you just not see him play?