Stand-up comedy

Gash

Who have you seen?

Who did you enjoy?

Who were they similar to (if they aren't too well known)?

What style of comedy do you not like/

Anybody else dislike Lee Evans and Peter Kay?

It's weird how good Phoenix Nights is and his stand up is shite!

Anyway, i'm going to see Gervais Wednesday, anybody seen him live? Anybody seen this tour?

What's it like.

I'm excited!

(Also i thought there was a stand-up thread but couldn't find it)

Guest lankybellwipe

I don't know any SUC that can draw out the same material for 10+ years (peter kay) He's like an onstage one hit wonder! Love the telly stuff tho!

And I'm sorry, I just can't buy Gervais onstage. Imo, Merchant is just as much to blame for the huge success of 'T Office, and he hasn't received a quarter of the acclaim as Gervais

I don't know any SUC that can draw out the same material for 10+ years (peter kay) He's like an onstage one hit wonder! Love the telly stuff tho!

And I'm sorry, I just can't buy Gervais onstage. Imo, Merchant is just as much to blame for the huge success of 'T Office, and he hasn't received a quarter of the acclaim as Gervais

That natural though because Gervais played the main character in the office aswell, not that many people would know larry David if they saw him before he starred in Curb.

Guest lankybellwipe

That natural though because Gervais played the main character in the office aswell, not that many people would know larry David if they saw him before he starred in Curb.

A valid and respected point mate. Theres just something about his diversion from sitcom to standup that doesn't sit right with me  ???

Mark Steel is good, too. His set about the French Revolution is bloody hilarious, lent it off a mate of mine.

Although, I probably found it that little bit funnier as I did French Rev. at AS level and know what he's on about.

Guest lankybellwipe

Mark Steel is good, too. His set about the French Revolution is bloody hilarious, lent it off a mate of mine.

Although, I probably found it that little bit funnier as I did French Rev. at AS level and know what he's on about.

Thats the guy!

I've been trying to recall his name! Whenever I've seen Gervais doing standup, I thought "This smacks of Mark Steel!"  :blush:

A valid and respected point mate. Theres just something about his diversion from sitcom to standup that doesn't sit right with me   ???

I like it but i can see why some people don't. A lot of his comedy is through the subtleness and his mannerisms, i think he plays that arrogant wanker role too well and too many people don't understand that he's using it too mock other celebrities rather than it being his own personality. It's never going to be as popular as the likes of Peter Kay impersonating dads dancing at weddings or Mcintyre doing accent gags and running round the stage to the general public though.

A valid and respected point mate. Theres just something about his diversion from sitcom to standup that doesn't sit right with me   ???

I like it but i can see why some people don't. A lot of his comedy is through the subtleness and his mannerisms, i think he plays that arrogant wanker role too well and too many people don't understand that he's using it too mock other celebrities rather than it being his own personality. It's never going to be as popular as the likes of Peter Kay impersonating dads dancing at weddings or Mcintyre doing accent gags and running round the stage to the general public though.

You have to be very well tuned to deal with his constant change of character and it's very easy to take something the wrong way or believe he's being genuine when he's taking the piss. As you say though if you can be bothered to get to know him it's hilarious. FAME is brilliant, the rainman/autistic kid bit in particular. :lol:

Billy Connolly is my favourite, and I keep on missing his (increasingly rare) tours. :hmm:

Met Jack Dee in 93 - he shook my hand and said "Christ, you're a big bastard aren't you?" Then he pissed off backstage before being very funny onstage.

Saw Frankie Boyle before he was famous - always thought he was a smug bastard - seems I was right.

Adam Hill, Dylan Moran (lives round the corner from me), Bill Bailey, Dave Allen (RIP) also up there in my esteem.

Met Jack Dee in 93 - he shook my hand and said "Christ, you're a big bastard aren't you?" Then he pissed off backstage before being very funny onstage.

He's brilliant, the ultimate comedian imo. Also, I'm not shocked he said you were a 'big bastard' because Jack Dee is about five foot two.