Rich Geordies

ianovthetoon

I was sitting trying to come up with the names of a couple of wealthy geordies who had the financial clout to invest in the club. One or two sprang to mind.

The first is Graham Wylie, worth an estimated £200million who was the co-founder of Sage, and owns a number of race horses. I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that he has a box at St James, and he has been a success in other businesses so maybe he could consider splashing his cash on the toon. A guy like that would IMO be similar to Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough, so you never know

Another is Frank Williams worth approx £145million, born in Jarrow and apparently a Newcastle Fan. Had relative success with the Williams formula 1 team so you never know

And just cos he's minted, I ain't got a clue what he thinks about football, the Duke of Northumberland!

Can anyone think of some more?

Guest Hibbits left foot

Sting , Mark Knopfler , Andy taylor (Duran Duran),Bryan Ferry,Jimmy f***in Nail,Brian Johnson (Ac Dc),Ant n Dec,Cheryl Tweedy, Michelle Heaton, rich swines the lot of em!

I was joking with a mate of mine that if I won the EuroMillions jackpot (£120M next weekend) I'd spend the lot on NUFC. Thought about it a bit more (5 seconds) and realised the plain fact is this club hardly represents a good business opportunity - brilliant way to bankrupt yourself, but not much joy in it.

Really can't see why any Rich Geordies would want to spunk their money away on this shower of shite. :(

A true businessman wouldn't touch go anywhere near this dying club.

i don't think lerner at villa is a massive villa fan and buisness wise we are better prospects than them.wonder why he bothered? .as talks go on in brussels about the future of selling the premier league on tv,the more likely a takeover or a fat fred led buy out.buisness wise in england we are the best option outside arsenal,chelsea,liverpool,man utd.

A true businessman wouldn't touch go anywhere near this dying club.

i don't think lerner at villa is a massive villa fan and buisness wise we are better prospects than them.wonder why he bothered? .as talks go on in brussels about the future of selling the premier league on tv,the more likely a takeover or a fat fred led buy out.buisness wise in england we are the best option outside arsenal,chelsea,liverpool,man utd.

I don't want to get into a "my dad is bigger than yours" argument, but stuff like "business wise we are better prospects than them" is easy to say, yet actual events don't seem to back it up.

He got Villa cheaply, from a man who was in a hurry to sell as he's clearly going to be involved in the serious business of dying rather soon, with an agreement clearly in place to appoint the best available manager in the country, with the club having minimal amounts of debt and having been - and it near kills me to say this - run financially sensibly over a long period. a club with a history which is matched by few other clubs, with enormous potential which has gone untapped for decades now, with assets in terms of a squad of players which is actually much better than many people thought, and clearly underperformed massively last year .

All this for 64 million pounds, which is peanuts. Currently, his investment (into which he has thus far been able to invest zero in terms of player acquisitions) is 4th in the Premiership.

From a business point of view, I'd say that looks like a pretty good investment.

Good business isn't just about what you get in terms of turnover, it is far, far more complex than that. As for the "best option outside ..." point, I'd disagree with that. What about Everton, for a start? Available at around 40 million, so they reckon. Not too much wrong with the playing side of things there, and that's 40 percent of what Newcastle would cost.

Sting , Mark Knopfler , Andy taylor (Duran Duran),Bryan Ferry,Jimmy f***in Nail,Brian Johnson (Ac Dc),Ant n Dec,Cheryl Tweedy, Michelle Heaton, rich swines the lot of em!

How about a consortium.

Or failing that, with Tony Blair soon to be out of a job, let him be the Berlusconi of Newcastle.

Guest Knightrider

Villa was a tremendous buy at 64m. Newcastle is a poor buy in comparison, but then at 1bn so was Man Utd, yet someone still bought it. Chelsea were a poor buy too, 400-500 or so million all in, I believe. Depends who is buying and what their intentions are and of course, how much they're are worth themselves. This is why I don't believe Belgravia are the would be new owners of Newcastle as it doesn't make financial sense to pay all that money for a club that won't make you rich, or certainly won't give you a return on your investment. No, I reckon they are simply a negotiating or takeover research group acting on behalf of an individual, or a number of individuals.

Guest Knightrider

BTW, Everton need a new stadium and that could cost anything from 80-300m depending so I don't think they are an attractive club right now, same with Spurs, not for consortiums anyway and if there was another Abramovic, I think he could buy better than Everton, Liverpool for example.

Villa Park from what I understand can be upgraded, no?

Guest TinoInHiding

Ive got it

Heather Mills is going to plough her settlement into the Toon

Everything about her screams Mackem beotch.

I was sitting trying to come up with the names of a couple of wealthy geordies who had the financial clout to invest in the club. One or two sprang to mind.

The first is Graham Wylie, worth an estimated £200million who was the co-founder of Sage, and owns a number of race horses. I'm sure I read somewhere a while back that he has a box at St James, and he has been a success in other businesses so maybe he could consider splashing his cash on the toon. A guy like that would IMO be similar to Steve Gibson at Middlesbrough, so you never know

Another is Frank Williams worth approx £145million, born in Jarrow and apparently a Newcastle Fan. Had relative success with the Williams formula 1 team so you never know

And just cos he's minted, I ain't got a clue what he thinks about football, the Duke of Northumberland!

I use to work at Sage and sure Graham Wylie is a Man Utd fan.

I use to work at Sage and sure Graham Wylie is a Man Utd fan.

Wylie is definitely a Toon boy.

Last summer he made a statement saying he wants to remain a fan and had no plans to buy into the club.

BTW, Everton need a new stadium and that could cost anything from 80-300m depending so I don't think they are an attractive club right now, same with Spurs, not for consortiums anyway and if there was another Abramovic, I think he could buy better than Everton, Liverpool for example.

Good point, I had forgotten about the Everton new stadium thing. However, aren't Liverpool hugely in debt and also having to find the new stadium money (obv, a much better brand than Everton, though)?

Villa Park's oldest stand (where we put away fans) was built in 77 and is getting rebuilt soon, the rest of the ground has been rebuilt since the late 80s, early 90s anyway (including the butchery of the beautiful old Trinity Road stand, one of Doug's worst crimes).

What is frightening is just how wealthy "rich" investors in football need to be these days. Are any of the people mentioned at the top of this thread actually rich enough?

Good point, I had forgotten about the Everton new stadium thing. However, aren't Liverpool hugely in debt and also having to find the new stadium money (obv, a much better brand than Everton, though)?

Villa Park's oldest stand (where we put away fans) was built in 77 and is getting rebuilt soon, the rest of the ground has been rebuilt since the late 80s, early 90s anyway (including the butchery of the beautiful old Trinity Road stand, one of Doug's worst crimes).

What is frightening is just how wealthy "rich" investors in football need to be these days. Are any of the people mentioned at the top of this thread actually rich enough?

A few are, Wylie, Sting, Knopfler could probably buy the, a consortium is more likely however.

One point is though that if the club was bought as a labour of love it self generates a large proportion of the required cash, its not like an Everotn where money needs to be pughed in on a regular basis (although it would be nice!)

You'd need £ 100 million to get rid of the leeches

and then another £ 100 million to get the club back into contention

Its not a millionaire we need its a (stupid) zillionaire..............................