The FA Cup 2009/10 - NUFC get Plymouth (a) in the third round

Ashley17

Guest firetotheworks

I'd like us to win the F.A Cup.

I'd like us to win Promotion.

One is more realistic, and arguably more important, and the other can and probably will effect it. I don't want us to go out, but I wont be gutted when we do .

Regardless of how important the cup is this year, our recent 3rd round draws have been pretty shocking. It must be something like one home tie out of seven years now.

Hmm i'm sure Hughton will go for it and win this match...

I certainly hope so. Particularly for the travelling Newcastle fans who make the long journey and for whom the FA Cup still means a hell of a lot.

The FA Cup is the real deal and we should give it our best shot no matter what our other priorities are. For me this should always be one of our main priorities

Couldn't agree more, it's probably the biggest national cup tournament in the world. And yes it would be a huge let down to the fans who makes the trip down south...

I can't understand this 'I'd be pleased if we go out' mentality. It's frightening.

Why is it frightening?

It's extra games we could do without.  Our squad is too small and we could lose players through injury or fatigue from playing in such games and that could effect our performance in the league.  The main objective is to get promoted and not focus on a cup win.

Regardless of how important the cup is this year, our recent 3rd round draws have been pretty shocking. It must be something like one home tie out of seven years now.

The last 3rd round match at home was 2006 vs. Mansfield Town. Shearer scored goal 200.

The last 3rd round match at home was 2006 vs. Mansfield Town. Shearer scored goal 200.

I thought he only got 1 in that game?

I can't understand this 'I'd be pleased if we go out' mentality. It's frightening.

Why is it frightening?

It's extra games we could do without. Our squad is too small and we could lose players through injury or fatigue from playing in such games and that could effect our performance in the league. The main objective is to get promoted and not focus on a cup win.1

Of course the main objective is promotion, noone is opposing that. But we shouldn't be actively looking for defeat (which is what alot are saying - i.e. "the sooner we're out the better").

If we play a few fringe (LuaLua, Krul etc.) with a few first teamers (Guthrie, Simpson etc.), and leave the important lot like Taylor and Enrique out, let's see how far we can go.

I don't understand the "let's just put our under 15s on and get trounced" attitude.

Another small club begging for money because they are not successfull / good enough to generate enough funding to stay afloat.

I really couldn't care less whether we reach the 4th round or the semi-final, it won't get us promoted, and it's not like the money generated from a cup run would benefit us in any way.

Christ, you're a barrel of laughs tonight like aren't you :lol:

Guest Brummiemag

I'd happily take being stuck in this league for the next 10 years for winning the FA Cup. Sod it i'd take it forever for just seeing us win it.

I'd definitely take winning the FA Cup over promotion. 

Too many people have fallen for the Sky TV bullshit about the Premier League 

Man U vs Kettering/Leeds

What was the "save our club" banners about in the Kettering ground? They broke?

The lease on their ground is about to expire and the landowner wants to build houses on it.

just looked at possibly going.  Unfortunately the coach is the only likely option.  All trains back mean leaving Plymouth at about 6, not getting back to Central until about 10 the following morning.  Air Southwest's flights leave just before 3 o'clock!  Went on the coach to the cup semi vs Manyoo in Cardiff and that was torture!

Bad draw, but I'm of the belief that we should send as good a team as we can down there and try to get a win. I know promotion has to be a priority, but surely a cup run would be nice too. If Hughton does what he did at Peterboro then where is the point in going down to watch for the thousands that will doubtlessly do that?