Best Of/Greatest Hits albums - Good or Evil?

GM

Best Of/Greatest Hits albums - Good or Evil?   

54 members have voted

1. 1. Best Of/Greatest Hits albums - Good or Evil?

• Good thing
    • Bad thing
    • Bit of both...depends, really
    • Meh - who cares?

This is the season when Greatest Hits and Best Of albums hit the shelves of record stores online and offline up and down the country...but what do you think of them as a general rule?

A good or bad thing?

I mean, for example, if you get a "Greatest Hits" album of an artist/band you've liked a bit over the years but never enough to be a "fan" so they don't feature highly in your collection then you're going to feel a bit embarrassed about that "greatest hits" album being there, because it as good as says "look at me, I'm a Johnny-Come-Lately, jumping on the bandwagon eons after this band/artist was actually cool"...

I really don't care what anyone would say if i had a greatest hits album.

In fact  for me it's got me in to a lot of bands by having the GHs albums first.

First one being Queen GH2 back in the early 90's, opened me up to one of the greatest bands of all time.

Also in this day and age of MP3, a GH album is perfect to put on your MP3 player while adding a couple of personal favs in there instead of having 6 albums whith 50 songs you'd just skip anyway.

Don't have a problem with them, really, except when you see someone's music collection and it's all Best Ofs.

Yeah, I guess that's what I was really sort of angling at, rather badly I admit...

I'm just going through a few CDs I bought earlier on today and they were all Best Ofs by bands which in some cases I feel I should already have in my collection by rights...

...like Radiohead, Led Zeppelin and the Prodigy. I've liked enough of their stuff previously and I've got a few tracks of theirs already but not any albums. I suppose I'm just wondering why I never got round to it earlier.

Mind you, The Who are shit...and I wish I hadn't bothered with Fairport Convention (fucked if I know what I thought I was doing there, tbh)...

They can come in handy I think. When I was younger I bought best of's by bands like The Smiths, The Stone Roses, The Doors, Beastie Boys, Jesus & Mary Chain, etc. It helps you decide whether you want to delve further, or let that be that. Also, they're useful with bands that you know aren't much cop but the singles, particularly if you can pick them up for a few quid.

The internet changes everything though and if you're into illegal downloading then you can get an artist's entire back catalogue within half an hour at the most, making the 'best of' a bit redundant. I prefer CDs and used to buy a fuckload of them, but having no money has led me to download quite a bit on the sly.

There are certain things that really irritate me though, like blatant cash-ins and best of's released when the artist has only done 2-3 albums. Also best of's when the songs aren't well selected can be pretty embarrassing. Oh, and a best of with a special new song or 2 on it - it's designed to fleece the hardcore fans and I don't see how a new song can warrant a place on a greatest hits compilation.

Some of 'em work better than others as well - GM mentioned the Radiohead one and I can't see how that works but maybe it helps as a snapshot for some.  I still listen to the Eels and Charlatans best of's despite the fact I've got a few of their albums, because they're just excellent.

I think everyone owned that Queen Greatest hits CD at some point.

It's useful if you honestly don't care about being a fan of a band but like two or three songs they released five years apart.

Favorite Greatest Hits album?

The Sound of The Smiths

As long as it's the 2cd version.

Yeah I got into the Smiths with that 2 CD best of, it was top-notch.

I also think the ones I mentioned earlier: Eels and Charlatans are brilliant and reflect well on the band.  Favourite best of ever: Smiths.

The Sound of The Smiths

I also think the ones I mentioned earlier: Eels and Charlatans are brilliant and reflect well on the band.  Favourite best of ever: Smiths.

morrisey was on desert island discs last week (you can i-player it).

the stranglers greatest hitss 77-82 is a good collection and i'd much rather have the jam-snap than trawl through all their albums.

The Sound of The Smiths

I also think the ones I mentioned earlier: Eels and Charlatans are brilliant and reflect well on the band.  Favourite best of ever: Smiths.]

the stranglers greatest hitss 77-82 is a good collection and i'd much rather have the jam-snap than trawl through all their albums.

Oh right, I'll have a look aye, cheers.

Guest lankybellwipe

The Sound of The Smiths

i'd much rather have my banjo-string snap!!

As I've said before, I've never been a music fan really. Don't own a single CD. If I did like music, I would be in a right strop right now, as all music is just a blur, not to be confused with Blur!

I could enjoy NOW 2211, theres always a fresh line up. But I must say, I get the impression some band need to make money the lazy way, by rereleasing an albumen, with the score turned on its' head, and a new cover in the sleeve!