Help please: Missing people.

Guest PJ87

Sunday Sun:

CAN you help solve a missing persons’ case?

Concern is mounting on Tyneside that nothing has been heard for several months from the following national journalists on the subject of Newcastle United.

They are . . .

Simon “the myth about Newcastle is always about the supporters” Barnes (The Times).

Michael “Newcastle fans can stop deluding themselves” Henderson (freelance).

Rod “pleasing deluded fans has turned Newcastle into a joke” Liddle (The Sunday Times).

Matthew “Newcastle United fans are the club’s biggest problem” Syed (The Times).

Not so long ago, these eminent men were only too happy to offer – nay, honour – us with their wisdom from afar on the causes of the Magpies’ fall from grace.

They saw the bigger picture at St James’ Park. A picture those of us who live and work in the North East are too close up to make out.

A picture in which cuddly Mike Ashley makes a myriad mistakes not through stupidity or spite, but because he listens to supporters.

Supporters whose “volatility” makes Newcastle United “practically ungovernable” (Syed).

Supporters whose “expectations are impossible to fulfil” (Henderson).

Supporters for whom “nobody is good enough for Newcastle United; if they’d appointed Jesus Christ as manager they’d have whined” (Liddle).

Supporters who “are dying of messiahitis” (Barnes).

Considering all those pronouncements were issued before the end of last season, you’d have assumed each of these scribes anticipated all-out anarchy on Tyneside in the event of relegation.

Certainly, Barnes predicted that “the myth about Newcastle” – their supporters’ loyalty, he claimed – would be shattered in the Championship.

But neither he nor his three learned colleagues has had anything to say on that or any other Toon-related subject since.

And their silence is as troubling as it is deafening. For, without these visionaries to help me interpret the current scene at St James’, I am deeply confused.

Given Newcastle fans’ fickleness (Barnes) and “myopic short-termism” (Syed), why are so many of them turning up week after week to watch Championship football?

Given their “delusions of grandeur” (Liddle), why do so few of those fans seem carried away with either the potential for promotion or the club’s prospects thereafter, let alone the brand of football now on show?

How are the “febrile imaginations” (Syed, again) of these fans being sustained by the visits of Plymouth and Peterborough?

And what has become of Tynesiders’ messiah complex if 42,000-plus are turning out to see a team picked by, err, Chris Hughton?

In the absence of answers to such mysteries, I’d be tempted to wonder if the people now filling St James’ Park are not a whole new batch of supporters.

But, if only by virtue of the fact that they were deluded enough to take out three-year season tickets the summer before last, I can only assume that a large number of these fans ARE those who attracted Fleet Street’s scorn just a few months ago.

So what other explanations are there?

Are this season’s Geordie “faithful” (me, not Barnes or Syed) a band of bodysnatchers with acid rather than black and white blood in their veins?

Or are they living in a form of collective denial which convinces them that James Coppinger (Doncaster winger, in case messrs Barnes, Henderson etc were wondering) is actually Cristiano Ronaldo, and that Blackpool are the new Barcelona?

I only ask because I wouldn’t want for the aforementioned hacks to continue deluding themselves unnecessarily.

Wonder what Loiuse Taylor - that great supporter of civil rights who fabricated a tissue of lies about Newcastle fans allegedly abusing Mido at Middlesboro - will have to say about the racist abuse directed at Darren Bent's mother, and the Nazi salutes regularly displayed by supporters of her beloved Sunderland ?

Will she go missing too ?

Wonder what Loiuse Taylor - that great supporter of civil rights who fabricated a tissue of lies about Newcastle fans allegedly abusing Mido at Middlesboro - will have to say about the racist abuse directed at Darren Bent's mother, and the Nazi salutes regularly displayed by supporters of her beloved Sunderland ?

I may buy that abomination of paper she writes in the morrow just see if she mentions it.

They are all a bunch of tossers whose opinions count for nowt.  They like to pander to the false beliefs of the Southern fans, instead of just admitting they haven't got a clue. 

Sunday Sun:

CAN you help solve a missing persons’ case?

Concern is mounting on Tyneside that nothing has been heard for several months from the following national journalists on the subject of Newcastle United.

They are . . .

Simon “the myth about Newcastle is always about the supporters” Barnes (The Times).

Remember, some fans on here believe this "persecution complex" is about something that doesn't exist (really - unbelievable, isn't it ?) or that all the spite and vitriolic abuse is "tongue in cheek"

Denial or what ?

Or are they trying to impress NON-Newcastle fans, and making themselves appear just what these creeps are saying we ARE ?

"Michael Henderson" was the one whose unbelievably over-the-top attack on newcastle fans as one of the things "destroying football" that had me utterly speechless (for 10 seconds) but it was in the BROADSHEETS not tabloids  !

I may buy that abomination of paper she writes in the morrow just see if she mentions it.

Typically of football journos, she WON'T unless they can pin it on certain clubs. (Guess which)

Realy when did this happen ? And what were the lies about us abusing mido ?

Realy when did this happen ? And what were the lies about us abusing mido ?

There WAS some truth in it, TBH.

Some mocking of "Mido the terrorist"

Last year at Smogland ?

But this bint made a big deal of it, as did the BBC.

As did the national rags

With NO evidence

Just normal in other words.

Should be in the "wah! the media hates us!" thread.

And if it ISN'T the case, how about some evidence to the contrary ?

The Mido thing definitely happened 2 years ago, but I think papers claimed it happened last year too, when it didn't.

it was about him looking like a shoe bomber (Richard Reid) though and was as racist as calling Jason Manford a fat Michael Owen.

The Mido thing definitely happened 2 years ago, but I think papers claimed it happened last year too, when it didn't.

it was about him looking like a shoe bomber (Richard Reid) though and was as racist as calling Jason Manford a fat Michael Owen.

I'd question how many people thought that when they were chanting it.  I didn't (not that I chanted it).  I suspect it was mainly because he was Egyptian, and they made a thing of the paedo chant too.

as should you.

Don't come moaning to me, you plank. When I tried to arrange a story that would get the fans' point of view across, you spat out the fucking dummy and accused me of being some kind of traitor.

:laugh:

as should you.

Don't come moaning to me, you plank. When I tried to arrange a story that would get the fans' point of view across, you spat out the f***ing dummy and accused me of being some kind of traitor.

:laugh:

i think you read something in my post that wasnt there.

and aye, im the plank.

who was that young lad who played for us against leicester again?

Guest Roger Kint

I'd question how many people thought that when they were chanting it.  I didn't (not that I chanted it).  I suspect it was mainly because he was Egyptian, and they made a thing of the paedo chant too.

The paedo thing was obvious though, the whole child molesting chants are rife when we play Boro, he just happened to have a name which ryhmes with it.

Strange that 'Fat Eddie Murphy' isnt racist though............