Whiskey, Port etc.

Chrissy Bee

Anyone know much about the above? I was thinking of buying some for some family members for Christmas but I'm basically clueless about them and I know a few of you will enjoy the occasional nice whiskey, etc.

If I had £40-50 to spend on a bottle of single-malt whiskey or a nice port, what would be a good bet?

I went to a whiskey distillery in N.Ireland this summer and bought a bottle of Black Bush (I think that's the name...) seems decent enough but I know v little about whiskey. They do bespoke labelling for some of the nicer bottles (about £30-40 all in) which I though would be a decent gift for a 50th birthday or something.

what type of whiskey do the folk usually drink?

Islay whiskies are me favourite but can be an acquired taste - they're often very strong tasting. Talisker, Laphroaig or Lagavulin in particular are strong. Caol Ila is a bit lighter.

Highland, Speyside or Lowland whiskies are a lot smoother - 12year old Balvenie or a bottle of Springbank are good examples. Springbank is often more expensive and you do get different types based on what type of barrel was used in distilling. if you want to get something a bit special then a 15 year old Balvenie or 12 year old Springbank (around £40+ a bottle).

Guest Geordiecunny

Port wise I'd avoid Ruby. Stick to what's called an LBV (late bottled vintage). Not towards the expensive end but generally good quality. They also improve with age and many Ports don't unless you shell out. If you want to shell out then 1963 is generally considered a great vintage. Whiskey wise I'd recommend Ardbeg, widely available and good quality. Avoid Laphroaig like the plague.

If you want to shell out then 1963 is generally considered a great vintage.

I had a Fonseca 1963 that was literally the best thing I've ever tasted. Was only the next morning I found out it was £209 a bottle and I'd drunk about a third of one.

This thread will not be complete until madras has posted in it, tbh.

i'd go for a lowland or speyside as they aren't too 'harsh' if you don't know the taste of the person you are buying for. maybe get something finished in a sherry or madeira cask to make it a little different.

my own personal choice would be a bowmore, as old and as smokey as possible.

Guest elbee909

I'd say Laphroiag as well. Very strong taste though, too strong for me tbh, but know quite a few who will say that it's one of their favourite single malts.

Mine too, get cask strength and add water is what I do.  But I'm into cognac right now.  Hine FTW!

Is it wrong to put ice in whiskey?

no. i put a couple of cubes in a glenfiddich, the mix of the cold of the ice and the warmth of the spirit is lovely.

lemonade for some of the harsher blends aswell. water in malts.