Basically, my laptop is on its way out...

Bowie

...and i'm gonna have to re-boot it and start again I would have thought. The only thing that's worrying me is losing all my music.

I've just been on it on safe mode and managed to successfully copy a CD in iTunes so I think I should hopefully be able to back up my entire music library before it completely dies.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

As far as i remember Itunes lets you drag files out of it, and then copy them to other places/ programes. If you have an external hdd simple go in to itunes, slect a song hit CTR + A and then drag them in to the folder on the ext drive where you want them.

If you want to put them on a CD its good as well. Just make a playlist with all of your songs in, then burn disc, and select data cd/dvd and burn them. It should prompt you to put another cd in, or if not just look at what song it got up to and make a new list from that point onwards.

As far as i remember Itunes lets you drag files out of it, and then copy them to other places/ programes. If you have an external hdd simple go in to itunes, slect a song hit CTR + A and then drag them in to the folder on the ext drive where you want them.

If you want to put them on a CD its good as well. Just make a playlist with all of your songs in, then burn disc, and select data cd/dvd and burn them. It should prompt you to put another cd in, or if not just look at what song it got up to and make a new list from that point onwards.

Cheers!

I don't have an external hard drive though, could something else work? Just cause putting them all on CD's would take a while/cost a fair bit with over 6000 songs I reckon. Like maybe some sort of magic disc that holds the data for my entire music library so when I put it into my fresh laptop they all convert back? :lol:

Sorry, I really am this stupid.

Clonezilla http://clonezilla.org/

It doesn't do exactly what you want, it kinda does more. Basically you can take a copy of your whole hard drive and put it on 1 DVD. It takes an image of whats on your machine and then copies it to the new one. Takes about 10 minutes to restore. Obviously depends on how much space you have used currently but if you removed everything else you don't need and then just did the image of your machine with Windows installed and Itunes and all your music then it should back that up very quickly.

Cheers!

I don't have an external hard drive though, could something else work? Just cause putting them all on CD's would take a while/cost a fair bit with over 6000 songs I reckon. Like maybe some sort of magic disc that holds the data for my entire music library so when I put it into my fresh laptop they all convert back? :lol:

Sorry, I really am this stupid.

I just had to do this, managed to get them on about 5 or 6 dvds. If you can borrow a few biggish memory sticks that might be the easiest way if you don't want to shell out, 10 blank dvds should be no more than a tenner though.