What would you change in football?

Ashley17

If you could change something in football, big or small, what would it be?

For example, if it was up to me, I'd have the Europa League winners qualify for the Champions league. If you're going to have a tournament that requires that many games to win it's hardly a just reward to have the winners be re-entered into it, it's more of a punishment. Also it would add some prestige to the tournament instead of just being an unwelcome distraction.

The FA Cup - I'd consider putting the winners of this into the CL as well, might stop teams playing their youth. However, a possible problem is that the top 4 all play their best team and everyone else thinks fuck it, what's the point.

The Johnstone's Paint trophy (Football league trophy? Whatever it's called) has a rule where something like at least 7 of the starting 11 have got to have featured in a certain percentage of first team games - i.e. Strong teams are put out every round. Could this be trialled on the bigger stage?

Video technology on goal line incidents, not so sure about everything else though  :laugh2:

Was suggested here a while back but is probably impossible to implement.

Teams start with x million and can only top that up through player sales. Would stop owners pumping in ridiculous amounts. Would also improve the quality of youth player coming through the ranks. Dominance wouldn't be down to 'who's richer'.

Also, maybe a total wage bill cap. Meaning you can still have players paid huge amounts, but it would have to be balanced against the rest of the team. Wages would probably start to level out a bit more throughout the whole team.

However, these would have to be done globally otherwise we would plummet in the world football scene.

yeah it is impossible, nevermind, just a thought.

In Spain:

- I'd get the Cup back to a single game tie format instead of two legs (to protect the bigger clubs) like it is now. It just made it much more interesting. I'd also qualify the winner for the CL, and remove one of the CL spots from the league.

- Bring back the relegation playoffs, they were cracking (we still have playoffs in other tiers).

In England:

- Drop the games in hand malarkey. It's annoying and if other leagues can keep all their teams in the same schedule and have all them in cups and Europe, you should too.

Overall:

- Implement a meaningful homegrown rule. Doesn't happen so much in Barça but I want to see Spanish players when I play Spanish teams, English players when I play English teams... we have reached a point where the city the team represents seems merely accessory.

- Goal line technology and refs.

I'd do anything that benefits NUFC basically, stuff like:

Instead of using goal difference, places are decided by the most grey seats in the teams' respective stadiums.

Penalties: if you've ever eaten an apple whilst on a bike you can dribble a penalty kick into the goal if you fancy it.

Put a weight limit on football club owners so we could get rid of Ashley, while also avoiding Shepherd.  Ashley would have to give the club away for nowt in the present circumstances, them's the rules.

Nolan goals count double.

Special guest referees like Jimmy Nail, Ant and Dec can be linesmen.

Scrap the Champions League and Europa cup.

For every league which falls under UEFA's banner, every club in their top league is entered into a super European cup.

No seedings, one legged ties from round one to final (A preliminary round or two may be needed to lose some of the chaff - its a work in progress).

We get the true European Champions.

TV may be a bit of a bugger, but you could make use of digital telly (like Sky do for Champs leagues) or internet to get every game available to view if you so wish.

Instead of using goal difference, places are decided by the most grey seats in the teams' respective stadiums.

Penalties: if you've ever eaten an apple whilst on a bike you can dribble a penalty kick into the goal if you fancy it.

Put a weight limit on football club owners so we could get rid of Ashley, while also avoiding Shepherd.  Ashley would have to give the club away for nowt in the present circumstances, them's the rules.

Don't put ideas in his head, he's great at penalties but if he tried to dribble it (even into an empty net) he'd shin the fucker out for a goal kick at best.

in Argentina they are trialling a thing where the ref sprays a disolvable line where the wall should be stops encroachment, would like to see this implemented.

Champs lge to champs& runners up knock out cup

Teams only allowed a set squad to stop people horsing young players eg Liverpool & Spurs

in Argentina they are trialling a thing where the ref sprays a disolvable line where the wall should be stops encroachment, would like to see this implemented.

Read about that before, sounds class. Think it was some sort of scientist who got pissed off he could never score free kicks so invented this to give him a better chance.

Don't put ideas in his head, he's great at penalties but if he tried to dribble it (even into an empty net) he'd shin the fucker out for a goal kick at best.

Good point, areet then: if you've ever eaten an apple whilst on a bike you get a pass so you're allowed to take performance enhancing drugs.

Independent time keeper as in both rugby codes so that the clock stops during treatment for injuries, during substitutions and after a certain amount of time for set-pieces (15 seconds for throw-in, 30 seconds for a corner or goal kick or the like).

Independent time keeper as in both rugby codes so that the clock stops during treatment for injuries, during substitutions and after a certain amount of time for set-pieces (15 seconds for throw-in, 30 seconds for a corner or goal kick or the like).

I'm all for something along these lines, as time wasting does my head in.

Bonus points awarded for teams who score more than four goals in a game.

Defensive teams will rightly get fuck all for boring the shit out of everyone while attacking teams will get rewarded for entertaining us.

Could have some legs this - too often do teams go 2 or 3 goals up with a good chunk of the game to go, and just sit on that and slip back into 2nd gear. Getting your money's worth and all that jazz.

That said the team in front would argue they can do what they want with that lead and if they think the opposition has goals in them, playing more conservatively would suit them better. Put yourself in the 2-0 situation - if you're 2-0 up, and you're playing a pretty decent side who score regularly, what do you do?

Need to recognise the defensive element of the game as well, I guess.

In conclusion, I don't know.

For deliberate fouls on players in a goalscoring position, a penalty kick (regardless of where the offence occured) and a yellow card instead of a free kick and a red.

Players who deliberately block the ball by the corner flag to waste time should be penalised for time-wasting.