history lesson

womblemaster

id forgotten all this:

""the Newcastle West End club (which in the seasons around 1881 had a club kit with a red and black hoop striped jersey, white shorts and black socks) and the Newcastle East End club (which had a red shirt, white shorts and black socks)."

Seems the west end and east end teams were formed from cricket clubs! SOmetimein 1870s i guess? 

wonder why they chose black and white after the merger?

anyone know much more about the 2 old clubs?

Pretty sure Newcastle United wore a vertically striped Red and White kit at first...believe it or not. I am also led to believe Newcastle East End played at Heaton for a spell, just near Chillingham Road...could be wrong though.

NE5 had a season ticket for both

Not quite the same, but back in the day (50s) my granda used to go to St James' one week, and Joker Park the other. Was a Newcastle fan but was pretty common at the time for fans to go and watch the other.

Aye mine did too.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

NE5 had a season ticket for both

Not quite the same, but back in the day (50s) my granda used to go to St James' one week, and Joker Park the other. Was a Newcastle fan but was pretty common at the time for fans to go and watch the other.

Aye mine did too.

So you claim. NUT still has first dibs on superdad.

Guest firetotheworks

Didn't they end up playing at Heaton for a bit? Or I'm sure that's where the east end team played.

Yeah, I think it was the field at the bottom of Tosson Terrace heading towards Walker way. I was chuffed when I found that out, I used to play football there all the time.

Guest Howaythetoon

We wore black and white vertical stripes because it was thought the players would look taller and wider and thus represent more of a presence on the pitch. However for a while the black stripes were actually very very dark blue due to some balls up with the textiles order. Typical NUFC even then to fuck up something like that, strange club :lol:

just found fantastic trivia question......

name the teams that started the season during the first year of the football league in 1888.clue: more than 10 less than 20.

which coincedentally quiz fans, is also the year Geremi was born.

;D

Guest Roger Kint

We wore black and white vertical stripes because it was thought the players would look taller and wider and thus represent more of a presence on the pitch. However for a while the black stripes were actually very very dark blue due to some balls up with the textiles order. Typical NUFC even then to f*** up something like that, strange club :lol:

Really? I always thought it was due to so many teams already playing in red therefore it avoided clashes.  :undecided:

Two explanations i know....

One was there was an old catholic church near the ground and the monks used to wear black and white habits, and they used to play at SJP before football was played there. (I like that idea!)

Or it is because black, red and white are the colours in in the city crest. The city crest used to be our old badge. (We havn't won owt since we changed that badge......conspiracy theory perhaps :celb:)

The real reason we play in Black&White, is because of the Northumbrian tartan which is Black&White. We all know that Northumbria once used to from and including Edinburgh, all the way down to Yorkshire (thus including Newcaslte). Anyway the Northumbrian tartan is actually regarded as the first ever tartan, predating even Scottish tartan's, and a couple of years after the birth of NUFC, they decided to play in the Northumbrian colours of Black&White. Ofcourse we couldn't play in a tartan strip though, so they changed it to the Black&White stripes.

Guest Roger Kint

non u slackers gonna have a guess on the trivia question? (and dont just google it)

Wanderers, Blackburn, Arsenal, Notts County, Accrington, Burnley, Sheffield.......theres a few at a guess without googling :undecided: