Former players shining at other clubs

TRon

Duff is doing well at Fulham, Milner is shining at Villa, both players who were accused of failing to supply on a regular basis at Newcastle, despite the fact that they had Owen, Martins, Viduka and the rest to aim at. In fact the chief complaint about Owen was that he didn't get the service.

Was it just bad management of the players or are they just hitting a temporary patch of lucky form?

Guest firetotheworks

I dont know, and I cant really offer any solid suggestion, but I think it's also worth noting that players have arrived and shown themselves to be exciting players and then seem to have settled into a Newcastle mould where they cant deliver or are regularly injured and go on to have their careers tainted by their time here or go on to carry on the form they showed when first joining us.

Martins, Parker, Jenas, Viana, Emre, Luque, NZogbia, Ambrose are the players I can think of off the top of my head that fit into this category.

I never thought that Milner was that bad when he was with us, tbh. He was only going to get better, whether he stayed here or moved on, and selling him was a big mistake.

I don't know what happened to Duff. He was a decent player and he seems to be doing well again. I think there was just a culture of complacency in the club over the past few years, maybe.

Guest firetotheworks

Given

Carr

Hughes

Bassong

Beye

Milner

Parker

Jenas

Duff

Zog

Owen

(Bowyer, Edgar hmmm...)

Given

Beye

Bassong

Woodgate

Distin

Milner

Jenas

Parker

Duff

Owen

Saha.......yes I know, trial.

Subs: Friedel, Carr, Bramble, NZogbia, Bowyer

I dont know, and I cant really offer any solid suggestion, but I think it's also worth noting that players have arrived and shown themselves to be exciting players and then seem to have settled into a Newcastle mould where they cant deliver or are regularly injured and go on to have their careers tainted by their time here or go on to carry on the form they showed when first joining us.

Martins, Parker, Jenas, Viana, Emre, Luque, NZogbia, Ambrose are the players I can think of off the top of my head that fit into this category.

Parker is another one of course, which brings me back to my original point, whether it is just down to poor management. Parker ended up playing as an attacking midfielder for us when he was clearly more suited to Butt's role. Allardyce came in and tried to play long ball football with a team of midgets. The fact that an untried coach is now leading us to the top of the division in this league makes you wonder how many managers out there actually have a clue how to put a team together?

If you include trials, Sami Hyypiä must be on the list. Has been absolutely fantastic with Leverkusen in Germany this season. Was on trial with Newcastle, but Newcastle didn't want to pay anything to get him and Liverpool signed him (turned out the biggest bargain of their history).

Guest palnese

Brad Friedel as well? He was on a trail, but never got his work-permit, and then signed for the bin-dippers?

Darren Fletcher?

Guest firetotheworks

Brad Friedel as well? He was on a trail, but never got his work-permit, and then signed for the bin-dippers?

Darren Fletcher?

Come again? When was this?

I suspect we've had shit managers, tbh, who couldn't get the best out of these players.

yep. it's mental how stupid our chairmen/owners have been. you have to get the manager right first and everything else stems from that. doesn't matter how much money you spend, if the manager is shite it'll be in vain.

I suspect we've had shit managers, tbh, who couldn't get the best out of these players.

and failed to even put the right type of players together to create an effective team. For example, milner's crosses will look a lot more effective aimed at Aston Villa's powerful strikers rather than at Martins or Owen. You would think most managers would realise that though wouldn't you?

N'Zogbia and Milner just scored...

Villa goal: Matt Duke comes out of his area to head the ball out - to where sub Steve Sidwell just happens to be warming up. He quickly chucks the ball to Ashley Young, who throws in to James Milner, who beats the back-pedalling Duke with an outrageous lob. Milner, who has scored five goals this season, immediately celebrates with Sidwell.

Sounds hilarious!