Our fans are clearly the best in the land...

Heron

This is what usually impresses me about Newcastle fans - the away following. I've said before, I'm not surprised you get large numbers at home still because of the geography of the area, but to consistently pack out away ends and indeed in this case potentially outnumber the home fans, is indicitive of the passion of the fanbase.  :thup:

Not sure what you mean by this...

think he means anywhere north of the river is pretty much all Newcastle fans with the exception of a few mackems who fled that shithole, which is a pretty large catchment area for fans due to no other team being around, then south of the river still brings in a large support.

Best away crowd I've been in was probably the 7k or so at Blackburn when Big Sam was in charge (of us). s**** performance, but a cracking atmosphere for 90minutes. Near-death experience when Oba opened the scoring too.

anyone remember Inter Milan away?.....reportedly around 12,000+ of our fans in the San Siro that day

Exactly.  How many fans did Sunderland take on their last visit to the San Siro?

Probably an unfair comparison that though, I don't think planes had been invented then.

Sunderland's biggest ever following in Europe was when they played Swansea away one season.

"Have you ever seen a mackem in Milan".

Best away game i've ever been to atmosphere wise , even if the flare that was chucked in our end nearly got me. I remember the lad who got  hit by it being more concerned coz he had just spent £20 on a new tshirt from Armani

By the way not to dampen the spirits , the mackems took 12,000 to barnsley , Roy Keanes first games in charge.

They took 8,000 and it wasn't one of Keanes 1st games in charge because it was towards the end of the season when they were very close to promotion.

By the way not to dampen the spirits , the mackems took 12,000 to barnsley , Roy Keanes first games in charge.

ok mackem, but we arent getting 12000 seats. i have no doubt we could take that if given it.

how many does that away end hold? it will be rocking on saturday.

* caution, last time i went we outnumbered them and got beat 0-1 and the exhaust fell off me car.

That is f**kin' spooky. The exhaust fell off my car on the way to Barnsley in 1990/91. I missed a 1-1 draw - my mate was in casualty with burns after trying to pick the pipe up off the hard shoulder...

To say we are the best is open to debate really. Song wise we are average.  The way we excel above all others in England is in distance travelled and numbers.

Take Man U or Liverpool for example. Sure they have fans all over the place and pack out away ends everywhere, but their regular away fans come from Manchester and Liverpool. But if you look at where these two cities are located, they rarely have to travel over 150 miles for an away game. That added with the success they constantly achieve makes away travel for them a piece of piss.

Guest WashyGeordie

The away stand only holds 6k iirc so I don't know where the extra people will go?  Having said that we haven't technically sold 7k yet, just been offered them.

The extra's are in the West Stand (unreserved seating), as the away stand does hold 6k.

Their highest attendance of the season was Man Utd in the cup with 20k-ish, but highest in the league so far has been about 13k, with Oakwell holding 23k.

Guest neesy111

"Have you ever seen a mackem in Milan".

Best away game i've ever been to atmosphere wise , even if the flare that was chucked in our end nearly got me. I remember the lad who got  hit by it being more concerned coz he had just spent £20 on a new tshirt from Armani

I got a beating for shouting that last year on a bus, was worth it though

anyone going to the barnsley game, coming up from london for this, wondering where people are going before hand

It can be a dodgy place Barnsley! The ground isnt that far from the town centre (and train station which is close to the town centre) - a decent walk but not too bad. I'm off to the Honeywell as I used to live in the town but I would just be careful really.

Guest neesy111

anyone going to the barnsley game, coming up from london for this, wondering where people are going before hand

It can be a dodgy place Barnsley! The ground isnt that far from the town centre (and train station which is close to the town centre) - a decent walk but not too bad. I'm off to the Honeywell as I used to live in the town but I would just be careful really.

ok, cheers

Be very careful - praising our own fans to this degree annoys some on here for some reason.

Infuriates non-Newcastle fans to apoplexy too - proof we're "arrogant" (then the same characters go about praising their own fans in like manner !)

Sheff Wed also sold out now (more tickets requested) nearly 3 weeks before the match despite it being live on TV at a crappy time and no trains running on Boxing Day.

Those terrible over-rated Newcastle fans again, eh ? (according to the national football journos)

Wonder if those "justified to protest" (from the same source) Liverpool fans would turn up like this after 50 years PLUS of winning nowt ?

Hell - they're bad enough when they're "only" FIFTH !  :rolleyes:

Be very careful - praising our own fans to this degree annoys some on here for some reason.

Infuriates non-Newcastle fans to apoplexy too - proof we're "arrogant" (then the same characters go about praising their own fans in like manner !)

I'm great me, like.

I'm great me, like.

I have no reason to doubt it !  ;D

But - wasn't you I was refering to !

Sheff Wed also sold out now (more tickets requested) nearly 3 weeks before the match despite it being live on TV at a crappy time and no trains running on Boxing Day.

Those terrible over-rated Newcastle fans again, eh ? (according to the national football journos)

Wonder if those "justified to protest" (from the same source) Liverpool fans would turn up like this after 50 years PLUS of winning nowt ?

I agree with you and we can think it but it does look cheesy as hell telling everyone. Let other people do it or else wallow in self satisfaction. No need for us to persuade anyone, so why do we feel the need?

I'm great me, like.

I have no reason to doubt it !  ;D

Thank you very much! :aww: