Our fans are clearly the best in the land...

Heron

By the way not to dampen the spirits , the mackems took 12,000 to barnsley , Roy Keanes first games in charge.

ok mackem, but we arent getting 12000 seats. i have no doubt we could take that if given it.

Its alright, he's totally wrong anyway.

My Mackem mate piped up with "we took 10,000" when I mentioned Barnsley on Facebook.

Proper playground stuff when your comparing attendances to games.  Theres a million and one different factors as to why certain teams take more or less than other teams, and in the grand scheme of things, does it matter how many fans you take to fucking Barnsley?

Proper playground stuff when your comparing attendances to games.  Theres a million and one different factors as to why certain teams take more or less than other teams, and in the grand scheme of things, does it matter how many fans you take to f***ing Barnsley?

How miserable are you?

By the way not to dampen the spirits , the mackems took 12,000 to barnsley , Roy Keanes first games in charge.

ok mackem, but we arent getting 12000 seats. i have no doubt we could take that if given it.

Its alright, he's totally wrong anyway.

My Mackem mate piped up with "we took 10,000" when I mentioned Barnsley on Facebook.

Funny that. When one of my mates put on his status that we'd sold the initial 5,700, a Mackem lad piped up with, "we took 7,000 there". :lol:

Guest WashyGeordie

Is 3700 sold for the Cov game?

Nearly 4000 were sold/there.

'Geordies are the pride of England, tra la la, la la la la..'

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard the mackems are coming up with pages of their usual drivel regarding yesterday's attendance at SJP and why it was nothing special.

I thought it was bloody special considering,

A) it WASN'T a derby.

B) it was snowy and freezing and lots of roads in Northumberland, Durham, N.Yorks and Cumbria were unpassable.

C) the metro failed due to points freezing.

D) it was the game before Christmas - which traditionally pulls in the lowest crowds (the highest are on Boxing Day but we're not allowed home games on that day !)

E) it was live on free to air TV.

F) Boro failed to sell their full allocation.

I actually thought it looked 50K plus in the ground and wouldn't be surprised if it hits that figure for the Derby County match.

Guest WashyGeordie

Mackems last attendance was around 34k (a drop in 14k), and the smoggies was around 17k, so I don't know how they've got the cheek.

Guest toonlass

Mackems have no excuses tbh. They are in the premiership, the geography thing is a load of bollocks as there are a load of mackems in Ashington, Cramlington, Stakeford, Guidepost etc, they still have special offers on for tickets and are always giving them away on the legends show. They just have to concede that even though we are in the Championship we are still a bigger draw than they are.

Mackems have no excuses tbh. They are in the premiership, the geography thing is a load of bollocks as there are a load of mackems in Ashington, Cramlington, Stakeford, Guidepost etc, they still have special offers on for tickets and are always giving them away on the legends show. They just have to concede that even though we are in the Championship we are still a bigger draw than they are.

Even if that's the case though, isn't it just random/luck?

If they try to attract fans, like with reduced ticket prices, they get slagged off. Same if their attendances go up when they do  well, it's glory hunting.

I love it how some Mackems are using the fact that we were in the Champions League in this decade as an excuse for us getting good attendances in the Championship!  :lol:

I don't think they actually believe that, I think they just say it to make themselves feel better as a lot of the part timers who post on the SMB still use the 15 and 19 point seasons as excuses not to go back themselves. I think that forum is a bit of a joke for most match going supporters. The Mackems labour under the assumption that ancient history actually matters to the average football fan and they keep telling themselves that despite the fact their chairman is arguably the best and most genuine in the league and they're making strides forward that they haven't done for decades. No fan pays their money for a ticket now on the basis of what happened half a dozen years ago and they know that. I'm certainly not going to see Shola wander about the pitch in the hope of reliving the halcyon days of Bellamy against Feyenoord, Griffin against Juventus and Shearer against Inter. I'm going because I love my club and I love the game regardless of league, position or owner. They don't get that.

Their attendances are genuinely baffling. They're a relatively big club with a decent catchment area to source supporters from and very generous ticket prices yet they can't get them through the gate. Anyone remember Quinn's popularity drive a few years ago where he basically toured working mens clubs pleading for supporters to come to a few games? If it wasn't so laughable it would've been painful to see him banging his head against a brick wall. Sure, there were queues of mardy Mackems outside the fucking Redhouse WMC who wanted to catch a glimpse of their flat topped Oirish saviour but when it came to putting their hands in their pockets were they moved? Were they fuck.

Sunderland do have a fair historical support in Ashington - think it's to do with many mackems shifting up here to work in the pits, at the turn of the 20th century.

Sunderland do enjoy good support but in terms of numbers on a consistent basis, they do lag behind us.

I've never understood clubs competing over attendences.

It's mostly an accident of geography or a result of the club's success or lack of, nothing that fans can be praised or criticised for really.

I agree. The fact that Sunderland fans are paranoid inbreds hasn't got much to do with football tbh.

Guest Haris Vuckic

They really do take the piss, they joked about him pissing himself and possbily dying when he was our manager, now they are trying to claim he was one of them, and that we taunted and spat on him, is it any wounder why we hate them so much?

Yeh they are mentalists and grief hounds.

They really hated Robson and gave him tons of abuse when he was in charge and doing well for us. Wasn't it an England match or something at the Stadium of Light and Robson was in attendance and they gave him hell.

He bled black and white, he was born in Sacriston which is mainly a black and white village like Langley Park where he grew up.

They really are hypocrites and ignoramus's of the highest order!

They really do take the piss, they joked about him pissing himself and possbily dying when he was our manager, now they are trying to claim he was one of them, and that we taunted and spat on him, is it any wounder why we hate them so much?

im  :blush: for knebbing at thier forum, but fuck me i swear today they had 5 threads about us on the go.