What doesn't kill you...

GM

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"

...or so the saying goes (I think that was Nietzsche who said that, but I may be wrong?).

But anyway, I was driving home this evening, listening to the grim news about the way the economy is going to be for the foreseeable future, and this axiom kept rolling around in my head all the while.

I suppose in some ways it can be argued that dealing with life's various challenges and problems does actually help to make you a stronger person, or at least a wiser one (or so you hope, anyway). But on the other hand, there must be times when this simply doesn't hold true - going through a particular experience can make be a potentially ruinous thing, destroying your sense of self, your mental and possibly even physical wellbeing...

..I mean, I don't even know why I'm saying this, but I figured I'd just throw it out there for discussion. There's loads of folks on here who have heart-breaking or indeed inspiring stories to tell, some of you have shared them, others have merely hinted at them, but you must at least have a view on whether "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" is true or not?

So, I'll just stand back and wait for this thread to slowly sink to the bottom of the page without so much as a serious, considered reply now. Cheers! O0

I think you've summed it up quite well really.  I've had loads of things happen to me that were awful at the time, but I wouldn't change them for the world now.

It's not just about making you stronger - it's also about learning from your mistakes and not making them all over again.  But I suppose that's part of why you're stronger.

Guest Heneage

Well speaking from experience no. They are experiences which don't kill you that make you stronger. But my Mum's accident made her far far weaker, the initial accident didn't kill her and also didn't make her stronger.

what doesn't kill you can make you stronger, it can also f*** you up for good.

You see - that is so f***ing true. SO f***ing TRUE!!

Care to expand on this theme?

some people can undergo hardships in their lives and it gives them a fresh outlook on life and makes them better people for it, for others it can lead to despair, psychological problems etc. thats just on a psychological level.

physically i'd doubt being in a persisitent vegetative state could be called "making someone stronger"

what doesn't kill you can make you stronger, it can also f*** you up for good.

You see - that is so f***ing true. SO f***ing TRUE!!

Care to expand on this theme?

some people can undergo hardships in their lives and it gives them a fresh outlook on life and makes them better people for it, for others it can lead to despair, psychological problems etc. thats just on a psychological level.

physically i'd doubt being in a persisitent vegetative state could be called "making someone stronger"

Yep, I think that's a fair summation of this thread's argument. Done and dusted in a nutshell.

Fuck Nietzsche and his nihilist shit. Fuck him.

You can do better than that, Cambridge boy.

If they ask me anything about Nietzsche tomorrow, I am going to say "Fuck Nietzsche and his Nazi nihilistic shit. Fuck him." Though perhaps I'd talk more about the foreshadowing of existentialist thought, link that into stuff about how I like Camus, then make it entirely clear that I don't actually care much for the actual philosophy as opposed to the importance of the movement in literary terms. So if asked 'So... Nietzsche?' in general terms, I'd talk little about Nietzsche. :)

If they ask me anything about Nietzsche tomorrow, I am going to say "Fuck Nietzsche and his Nazi nihilistic shit. Fuck him." Though perhaps I'd talk more about the foreshadowing of existentialist thought, link that into stuff about how I like Camus, then make it entirely clear that I don't actually care much for the actual philosophy as opposed to the importance of the movement in literary terms. So if asked 'So... Nietzsche?' in general terms, I'd talk little about Nietzsche. :)

Good lad. I hope you do precisely that. And I hope they then slap your face really fucking hard. :lol:

It's quite obvious that this isnt' true in a physical sense. For example, my knee injury did not make me stronger as a football player. It is however true in a mental sense. When one is faced with adversity and misfortune they become stronger of mind and more resilient.

wrong, for some it can, for many others it can fuck their lives up for good, think shell shock, think those poor sods recently who have topped themselves because of familial situations that got on top of them.....they really got stronger.

shite maxim which like all proverbs should only be directed at specific cases.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Read The Outsider recently,, not bad, not bad for a French basterd

It mental sense really... i got this experienced atm. & I am worried it makes me f***ed for good. But i have to admit it makes me wiser in some short of things. I just need to replenish my self belief first.

But when i think again about replenish my self belief ... it just seem i got to think more egoistic about myself. & It doesn't match with my personality before which is less egoistic people. :undecided:

Guest Heneage

TBH Nietzsche was a flawed man.

How can you say Society is the construction of the weak to survive, and then totally ignore the fact that by constructing 'Society' they aren't weak.

How can you say Society is the construction of the weak to survive, and then totally ignore the fact that by constructing 'Society' they aren't weak.

flawed ? does that mean completely fucking hatstand ?

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I remember watching him at Ajax, he had incredible heading prowess and a terrific left peg.

Guest Stephen927

You know when GM isn't following me around the forum like a bad smell, he's quite a wise man, full of wisdom thats for sure.

Poster of 2009 for me, love the bloke.

f*** Nietzsche and his nihilist s***. f*** him.

If they ask me anything about Nietzsche tomorrow, I am going to say "f*** Nietzsche and his Nazi nihilistic s***. f*** him." Though perhaps I'd talk more about the foreshadowing of existentialist thought, link that into stuff about how I like Camus, then make it entirely clear that I don't actually care much for the actual philosophy as opposed to the importance of the movement in literary terms. So if asked 'So... Nietzsche?' in general terms, I'd talk little about Nietzsche. :)

was it you that was after sartre's 'nausea' ? you have to remember existentailism isn't a philosophy of action like marxism etc, it's a philosophy of resignation to the human condition.

f*** Nietzsche and his nihilist s***. f*** him.

If they ask me anything about Nietzsche tomorrow, I am going to say "f*** Nietzsche and his Nazi nihilistic s***. f*** him." Though perhaps I'd talk more about the foreshadowing of existentialist thought, link that into stuff about how I like Camus, then make it entirely clear that I don't actually care much for the actual philosophy as opposed to the importance of the movement in literary terms. So if asked 'So... Nietzsche?' in general terms, I'd talk little about Nietzsche. :)

was it you that was after sartre's 'nausea' ? you have to remember existentailism isn't a philosophy of action like marxism etc, it's a philosophy of resignation to the human condition.

I think you're thinking of me, but I've read Nausea, I was talking to you about The age of reason.