Telegraph- "Nicky Butt's Manchester United days are lifting Newcastle says Hugh"

ChrisJbarnes

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/championship/newcastleunited/6769503/Nicky-Butts-Manchester-United-days-are-lifting-Newcastle-says-Chris-Hughton.html?DCMP=KNC-SkyTicker1

sorry if posted elsewhere

Butt, 35 next month, came through the ranks at Old Trafford alongside the likes of Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, the Neville brothers and David Beckham and the fact they are all going strong is down to the education they enjoyed under the auspices of manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

"You only have to watch Nicky train to know to see why he is still going strong at his age," Hughton said.

Related Articles

Newcastle probe Carroll arrest

Andy Carroll questioned over 'assault'

Alan Smith revels in Newcastle resolve

Newcastle United 2 Watford 0

Sol Campbell wanted by Newcastle United

Roeder: Newcastle need to invest in new players

"For someone of his age, whether he is at fit as he was at 24, I don't know, but he can't be that far off. He is a very tough individual. He is a player who generally trains the same way every day, with a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

"Whether it is a Man United thing, I think that's part of it. I think he was with a group, a real tough group of players, Gary and Phil

Nevilles, Giggs, Beckham, Scholes players still going and I think his background has enabled us to see what he is every day in training."

Butt is expected to be recalled to Hughton's first team as a replacement for the suspended Kevin Nolan at relegation-threatened

Coventry tonight when the Championship pacesetters could extend their lead in the promotion race to seven points over nearest rivals West Bromwich Albion.

Hughton has not been able to guarantee Butt a starting slot this season but the combative midfielder appears to have reacted in exemplary fashion

"He has been very good about it," Hughton said. "Part of it is that he has had a couple of little spells with injuries so he has not been available right the way through that period.

"But what he sees is a team that has done well, he sees players like Alan Smith and Kevin Nolan predominantly who have played in central midfield and have not really missed any games through injury.

"They are players who have generally been fit and I think he just appreciates we have started well and he has just got to be part of it."

Hughton is convinced Butt will eventually follow him into management. "I think that if he wants to, he could be a manager, Hughton added. "He has all the attributes. But he has got to have the desire to want to do that. He is certainly very knowledgeable about the game.

"He earns respect in that changing room for not only what he has done in the past but how he is now and how he conducts himself. Never late for training, always trains very well so he is the model professional."

Never late for training, always trains very well so he is the model professional."

Aye Chris, but he's s***. Would you play me if I turned up on time every day and tried really hard?

Teams should be selected on players training well though shouldn't they?  That's not the worst quote a manager can make tbh.

How about not looking like a complete liability every time he steps onto the pitch?

Yea he played like that with SBR, Souness and the many more managers.. but still was being selected.  I am just sensing - if he plays badly - the majority of the board wanting Hughton out or getting fed up with him.  Despite our position and our run of form.

He never played under SBR btw.

For me, he's reverted back to the player that played under Souness. He had moderate success under the latter part of Roeders stewardship and under Keegan and Fat Sam, I mean lets not forget that he won the clubs player of the year in 06/07 and had a good season in 07/08, he was a battler, he got around the pitch, won the ball and played it simple, he was a a decent player after he sorted himself out after those two first nightmareish years. However last season he seemed to change his game, he offered little to no protection of the back 4, he put little effort in and he decided he could spray balls about like he was David Beckham, most of which ended up out of play or to the opposition, in short he was diabolical. Tbh I think it's because his age has caught up with him, he cant get around the pitch as much as he used to thus isnt the same player he was.

He's had his day, he's finished now tbh.

For me, he's reverted back to the player that played under Souness. He had moderate success under the latter part of Roeders stewardship and under Keegan and Fat Sam, I mean lets not forget that he won the clubs player of the year in 06/07 and had a good season in 07/08, he was a battler, he got around the pitch, won the ball and played it simple, he was a a decent player after he sorted himself out after those two first nightmareish years. However last season he seemed to change his game, he offered little to no protection of the back 4, he put little effort in and he decided he could spray balls about like he was David Beckham, most of which ended up out of play or to the opposition, in short he was diabolical. Tbh I think it's because his age has caught up with him, he cant get around the pitch as much as he used to thus isnt the same player he was.

butt ? you sure ?

butt ? you sure ?

I'm sure he was one of Souness's signings, could be wrong like?

He was one of our best players in the Middlesbrough game under SBR.

butt ? you sure ?

I'm sure he was one of Souness's signings, could be wrong like?

Nope, came in a month before Souness IIRC.

Never late for training, always trains very well so he is the model professional."

Aye Chris, but he's s***. Would you play me if I turned up on time every day and tried really hard?

Teams should be selected on players training well though shouldn't they?  That's not the worst quote a manager can make tbh.

I would think skill and ability plays a part in decisions like.

Aye turns out I was wrong, he was signed by Robson in the season he was sacked.

did he not get bought by the board as a replacement for speed, who was also sold by the board? and SBR didnt have a clue about either deal untill the last min? or was that just a rumour?

I think it was just a rumour, I wouldnt be at all suprised if it was true however.

Souness went on to sign Amdy Faye in January in replacement for Butt iirc.  :facepalm:

did he not get bought by the board as a replacement for speed, who was also sold by the board? and SBR didnt have a clue about either deal untill the last min? or was that just a rumour?

I think the bit about Speed is true, but as far as I know, Bobby signed Butt. 

We signed Butt, Milner, N'Zogbia and Kluivert that summer.

If Butt plays then Smith shouldn't and vice versa. Quite simply there's just no way the two together is an effective partnership in the centre of midfield. We seem to have managed well enough this season without Butt btw.

If Butt plays then Smith shouldn't and vice versa. Quite simply there's just no way the two together is an effective partnership in the centre of midfield. We seem to have managed well enough this season without Butt btw.

massive gap for guthrie to come into but he rarely impresses when there. bartons performances haven't been the answer so we are looking at vuckic or an incomer.

massive gap for guthrie to come into but he rarely impresses when there. bartons performances haven't been the answer so we are looking at vuckic or an incomer.

If we go up we will need to bring in a midfielder in my view as Vukic looks like he only plays going forwards and the rest including Barton seem to sit too deep.

If we go up we will need to bring in a midfielder in my view as Vukic looks like he only plays going forwards and the rest including Barton seem to sit too deep.

if we go up we'll need to bring in 3 midfielders and 2 forwards just for the first 11.

Bobby signed Butt on the back of Kieron Dyer recommending him. Said so in his autobiography.

Bobby signed Butt on the back of Kieron Dyer recommending him. Said so in his autobiography.

and all auto biogs contain the gospel truth