Telegraph- "Nicky Butt's Manchester United days are lifting Newcastle says Hugh"

ChrisJbarnes

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/articles/captains-character-key-to-away-success-20091211_2240137_1902189

Captain's Character Key To Away Success

By Craig Hope

CHRIS Hughton admits that captain Nicky Butt is invaluable when it comes to Newcastle United's success on the road.

The midfield general returned to the side for Wednesday's 2-0 victory at Coventry and gave a typically authoritative display in the anchorman role.

Butt, who turns 35 next month, covered every blade of grass at the Ricoh Arena and won special praise from boss Hughton for his assiduous efforts.

"Nicky was magnificent against Coventry," Chris told nufcTV.

"He's had a couple of injuries this season which is unusual for Nicky, and, of course, the form of Alan Smith has also kept him out at times.

"But he came back in and I thought he was excellent.

"You need that type of character away from home and he is an important player for us in those types of game.

"He's played in a few away games now where we've won narrowly and in each of them he's been key."

:undecided:

Still, as long as we keep winning.

To be fair, a few have said he was alright at Coventry. As long as he's not playing every week (because his best games come after he's had a rest) then he's alright for this season. Need to get rid this summer though.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/articles/captains-character-key-to-away-success-20091211_2240137_1902189

Captain's Character Key To Away Success

By Craig Hope

CHRIS Hughton admits that captain Nicky Butt is invaluable when it comes to Newcastle United's success on the road.

The midfield general returned to the side for Wednesday's 2-0 victory at Coventry and gave a typically authoritative display in the anchorman role.

Butt, who turns 35 next month, covered every blade of grass at the Ricoh Arena and won special praise from boss Hughton for his assiduous efforts.

"Nicky was magnificent against Coventry," Chris told nufcTV.

"He's had a couple of injuries this season which is unusual for Nicky, and, of course, the form of Alan Smith has also kept him out at times.

"But he came back in and I thought he was excellent.

"You need that type of character away from home and he is an important player for us in those types of game.

"He's played in a few away games now where we've won narrowly and in each of them he's been key."

:undecided:

Still, as long as we keep winning.

Fuck's sake. Only listened to it on the radio but all I heard was the commentators saying he had given it away. it even reached a point where Lawrenson, who had been raving about him all night, said his distribution was shit.

Depressing when Hughton comes out with shit like that. Those quotes, along with the opening post, concern me massively. I can see Butt getting a new contract in the summer.

I was disappointed that Hughton played safe and didn't give Guthrie a go in Nolan's place on Wednesday. I suppose Hughton can point at the result and justify his decision but it puts a big question mark over his trust in Guthrie's role in the squad. If Nolan was available he'd have played, what was Chris scared of in putting Guthrie in his place?

it's not just butt, it's whoever plays that role as smith is just as bad and guthrie has hardly inspired confidence in a more box to box role.

It's a constant theme that all of our central midfielders seem to end up in the centre circle in the holding role and the forwards are left isolated. This has been the case whether Barton, Smith, Butt, Guthrie or Nolan have been in the side, sometimes near enough all of them. Even Nolan who has scored goals in his forays up front spends the majority of the game catching his breath in his own half.

Which of that lot would you describe as box to box? Guthrie is probably the closest in effective terms for me.

We seem very conservative as a team, tbh. Confidence? Scared to make mistakes?

I prefer to think clinical. In, out, no frills, job done. Much like me in the bedroom actually.

Lies. Your lass said you wear frilly knickers.

I prefer to think clinical. In, out, no frills, job done. Much like me in the bedroom actually.

Only on special occasions.

Every day ending in the letter y?

pictures on facebook please.