Ryan Giggs

Delima

Not commenting whether his deserves to win BBC Sports Personality of The Year, as I simply don't know much about the rest, but what a fantastic, great footballer Ryan Giggs is.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/dec/12/bbc-sports-personality-friends-family

Ryan Giggs

Rhodri Giggs

Brother of the long-serving Manchester United winger

I don't think many people know that from about 2002-03, because he was having problems with his hamstrings, Ryan stopped going flat out. He's not even been flat out for the last seven or eight years. Which is unbelievable really, because he was sprinting and his hamstrings were starting to go so he tried a lot of things to stop that, food-wise and sleeping-wise. Then he started to stride instead of sprint. Which slowed him down a bit, but not that much. He will be secretly pleased [to be on the list], but he won't admit it to anyone. He is the most decorated player; he has played the most games for Manchester United; he is the outfield footballer with most Premier League appearances – it just goes on and on. Ryan's experience is obviously telling now – he hardly gives the ball away and the passes he does make are usually telling. That brings more goals and more limelight I suppose. He can [carry on] for the next four years, easily. He won't like me saying that, but ...

Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Paul Scholes - great examples for any footballers.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

He's a staggering player and has probably won more than anyone else on the planet. In a funny sort of way I think he may have underachieved purely at an individual level - he's had a great career but should have been in the top 2-3 players in the world for much of it and has never been quite that good imo.

That goal against Arsenal is one of the best I've seen.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

He's a staggering player and has probably won more than anyone else on the planet. In a funny sort of way I think he may have underachieved purely at an individual level - he's had a great career but should have been in the top 2-3 players in the world for much of it and has never been quite that good imo.

That goal against Arsenal is one of the best I've seen.

Is it because I iz Welsh?

Have to agree though, and I don't see why he shouldn't win Sports Personality of the Year, fantastic example to any young player what the word 'Professional' in Professional Footballer means.

Would be a travesty if he won Sports Personality of the Year.

If you think he deserves it based on his career, take it out on the 1999 voting panel, and not those who have achieved so much more than him in 2009.

I remember us being linked with him in the 2004-5 season when he was being booed by his own fans and the vast majority on here (or whatever board it was then) including myself not wanting him saying he was finished and always injured. :lol:

TBH that was a fair assessment back then. Plus you have to factor in how players always get injured for us and it would have been a disaster.

TBH that was a fair assessment back then. Plus you have to factor in how players always get injured for us and it would have been a disaster.

If he came to us - with our not-so-bright managers and coaches he will be stuck to the wing and it would have been a waste of money.

Personally, I do not rate Ryan Giggs the winger as high as other wingers such as Figo, Ronaldo etc. However, the way Ryan Giggs had reinvented himself as an attacking midfielder or attacking wide midfielder is nothing short of trully, trully staggering. His technical skills are obviously excellent. More impressive is his game intelligence.

We should have tried Solano in the middle !

Guest firetotheworks

Genuine legend.

Saying that though, for me if its about personality I'd give the award to Button. He's been a treat to watch on and off the racetrack.