(Not) A Tad Churlish.

Crumpy Gunt

Thing that bothers me right now is that even if, as looks quite likely at the moment, we go on to win the Championship and promotion back up to the Premiership under Hughton, he'd need to be replaced for us to stand a fighting chance of STAYING up. So at what point will he be jettisoned? And who would take over? Same worry plagues me about the squad, too. :undecided:

Guest neesy111

But, we saw why Hughton will NEVER EVER be a top flight manager.

We didn't lose today but the manager is the reason we didn't win.

spot on

just after i said i thought he was turning the corner on tactical decisions, so i'll just keep critcising him no matter what

Thing that bothers me right now is that even if, as looks quite likely at the moment, we go on to win the Championship and promotion back up to the Premiership under Hughton, he'd need to be replaced for us to stand a fighting chance of STAYING up. So at what point will he be jettisoned? And who would take over? Same worry plagues me about the squad, too. :undecided:

This time next year, Shearer will be at the helm (for better or for worse).

This time next year, Shearer will be at the helm (for better or for worse).

no he won't he'll still be comfortably on the motd sofa

I honestly think you only need 2 or 3 players to have a decent chance of staying up. Look at some of the squads in the PL.

Look at some of the managers.

Couldn't care - I think your current squad would survive, if you keep the momentum you have from going up.

I honestly think you only need 2 or 3 players to have a decent chance of staying up. Look at some of the squads in the PL.

Couldn't care - I think your current squad would survive, if you keep the momentum you have from going up.

That was my point as well. The squad is crap but when you look at some of the managers in the Prem it's laughable. Zola? Avram Grant? Megson?

:lol:

That was my point as well. The squad is crap but when you look at some of the managers in the Prem it's laughable. Zola? Avram Grant? Megson?

:lol:

I'd say Grant and Megson are better managers than Hughton but yeah, I agree, you've got a great chance of staying up.

I don't understand this talk of you needing a massive overhaul to stay up. Rubbish. You need some confidence, which hopefully will transmit itself via the momentum you get from going up.

No matter what manager we have, if we go up, the lack of quality in midfield will send us down again.

I refuse to believe you wouldn't have a chance when you see the sorts of players plying their trade in the PL this season.

I refuse to believe you wouldn't have a chance when you see the sorts of players plying their trade in the PL this season.

Our current midfield would create next to nothing in the Premiership.  We must have the only midfield in the country who struggle to keep up with the match officials.

If we go up, we'd need a new owner, a new manager and a lot of players. but if all three happen, there'll be too much upheaval. catch 22??

although i agree that with the right manager, this squad wouldnt need much change, but it'd only happen if ashley sold up. no matter what, it's gonna be another interesting summer though.

Danny Simpson - Benched ? why?

Kizishvanilli left back for enrique ? why ?

A back four of simpson , taylor , collo , enrique kept clean sheets , change it and we concede 2 . . why change it ?

Hughton has the best team out of a bad league.

I can only imagine Simpson had a knock and was on the bench for emergencies (dire ones) only.

This assumption comes from the fact that he has been first choice for some time and when Enrique has been injured in the past he has slotted in Simpson at LB.

We often criticise decisions without knowing their full context.

Our current midfield would create next to nothing in the Premiership.  We must have the only midfield in the country who struggle to keep up with the match officials.

This got us relegated and it may yet be our undoing in the promotion stakes never mind next season in the prem.

At various times on this board, there's been the prospect of Moyes, O'Neill, Redknapp and Hughes becoming the manager, and many people have dismissed them as second-rate and not up to the job. We're far too critical of managers and I often think we won't be satisfied until Mourinho, Wenger or Ferguson is installed.

Or Keegan or Shearer of course, but that's another story.