Marcelino sacked by Zaragoza

Ketsbaia

This is the same highly-rated coach that Wise/Jimenez were after.

Real Zaragoza have dismissed coach Marcelino Garcia Toral following a run of five Primera Liga games without a win.

Marcelino has been in charge of Zaragoza since 2008 and last season led the club to promotion back to the top flight.

However, he has secured just three wins in 14 games so far this term and Saturday night's 2-1 home defeat by Athletic Bilbao proved to be the final straw.

Results from Sunday's games could also see Zaragoza slip into the relegation zone, prompting president Eduardo Bandres to sack Marcelino.

"There are arguments that explain this decision," said Bandres.

"In the world of football everything is about opinions, but results aren't, they are incontestable, and they ultimately determine the decisions that are made.

"Of the 16 official games that Real Zaragoza have played this season, we have only won three. The record is even more negative if one looks at the last 11 games. The statistics are very negative."

Zaragoza, who play Real Madrid in their final game of 2009 at the Bernabeu next weekend, have placed reserve-team coach Jose Aurelio Gay in temporary charge of the team as they seek a new manager

It's a shame its happened now as theres no way we're changing manager soon. Wonder if he'll still be unemployed by the summer...

Real Zaragoza have dismissed coach Marcelino Garcia Toral following a run of five Primera Liga games without a win.

Marcelino has been in charge of Zaragoza since 2008 and last season led the club to promotion back to the top flight.

However, he has secured just three wins in 14 games so far this term and Saturday night's 2-1 home defeat by Athletic Bilbao proved to be the final straw.

Results from Sunday's games could also see Zaragoza slip into the relegation zone, prompting president Eduardo Bandres to sack Marcelino.

"There are arguments that explain this decision," said Bandres.

"In the world of football everything is about opinions, but results aren't, they are incontestable, and they ultimately determine the decisions that are made.

"Of the 16 official games that Real Zaragoza have played this season, we have only won three. The record is even more negative if one looks at the last 11 games. The statistics are very negative."

Zaragoza, who play Real Madrid in their final game of 2009 at the Bernabeu next weekend, have placed reserve-team coach Jose Aurelio Gay in temporary charge of the team as they seek a new manager

Hur hur hur

Guest neesy111

DAnyone that follows Spanish football: Just out of intrest hows Jermaine Pennant doing at Zaragoza?

Village Idiot is our Spanish Correspondent, but I'll just say he's done fuck all

DAnyone that follows Spanish football: Just out of intrest hows Jermaine Pennant doing at Zaragoza?

Village Idiot is our Spanish Correspondent, but I'll just say he's done f*** all

Jermaine Pennant watch:

Games played: 11

Goals: 0

Assists: 0

However the team has been very poor overall.

Village Idiot is our Spanish Correspondent, but I'll just say he's done f*** all

Jermaine Pennant watch:

Wow. He's worse than Leon Osman.

Jermaine Pennant watch:

What the hell ever happened to him, he used to alway seem to pop up with goals, never hear of him now. Was he ever very good?

Guest geordienorway

Jermaine Pennant watch:

:lol: You detest Osman, don't you?

Jermaine Pennant watch:

What the hell ever happened to him, he used to alway seem to pop up with goals, never hear of him now. Was he ever very good?

He's been injured for months. Still scores his fair share for a midfielder but has been largely crap for the past 18months.

If he had any pace whatsoever he'd be quality. As it is, he's just alright.

To be completely honest the entire team has performed poorly this season, and Zaragoza fans aren't taking it against Pennant particularly (although he has disappointed).

Also, although I confess to not have watched much of Pennant, I think English-style wingers are a bad fit for La Liga.

To be completely honest the entire team has performed poorly this season, and Zaragoza fans aren't taking it against Pennant particularly (although he has disappointed).

Also, although I confess to not have watched much of Pennant, I think English-style wingers are a bad fit for La Liga.

What is the stereotypical style of English wingers in your mind?

Very wide (playing near the touchline), pacey, beats the last defender and whips a cross in. Spanish wingers tend to play less wide and cut in more, working more as second strikers. Spanish teams usually don't have the kind of target men needed to exploit crosses (there are exceptions, basque teams used to be renowned for their big forwards), our defenses are also generally much deeper than PL ones, which makes harder for wingers to run past the last man.

As said, not sure Pennant fits that mold, I really haven't watched much of him to be honest. But somebody like Lennon, Young or SWP would fail in La Liga.

The problem Beckham had is that Real Madrid didn't need him. He is a good player, but he was signed with only the marketing aspect in mind. He had no place in their squad as a winger (Figo was deservedly undroppable), so they shipped him all over the pitch, until he was used as CM. He was fine there as his passing range is very good, but his inclusion made their central midfield (paired with Zidane) very weak defensively, and they were easily overrun there. His best season there was arguably his last, in the wing under Capello, although he struggled to get a place in the starting lineup.

Very wide (playing near the touchline), pacey, beats the last defender and whips a cross in. Spanish wingers tend to play less wide and cut in more, working more as second strikers. Spanish teams usually don't have the kind of target men needed to exploit crosses (there are exceptions, basque teams used to be renowned for their big forwards), our defenses are also generally much deeper than PL ones, which makes harder for wingers to run past the last man.

As said, not sure Pennant fits that mold, I really haven't watched much of him to be honest. But somebody like Lennon, Young or SWP would fail in La Liga.

I think SWP would do alright because he is just as likely to cut inside for a pass or shot as he is to go outside and whip a cross in. Whereas Pennant is probably the most old fashioned english winger out there - direct, pacy and gets to the byline.

from what i hear Zaragoza are a mess and have gone through a lot of managers in recent times

A sort of Spanish version of us then.

that is the impression I got alright though athletico madrid have occasionally reminded me of us too

from what i hear Zaragoza are a mess and have gone through a lot of managers in recent times

A sort of Spanish version of us then.

that is the impression I got alright though athletico madrid have occasionally reminded me of us too

definitely, i kinda have a soft spot for them because of that. the similarities are shocking!