Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

Guest geordienorway

Rooney, Defoe, Bent, Agbonlahor, Crouch, Heskey and Cole should all be picked before Owen. Reckon Rooney, Defoe, Bent and Heskey will be picked.

If Heskey goes to the world cup i will change allegiance to North Korea

If he goes? Capello starts him ffs. Ridiculous, I know.

Feel lucky. The last time I said that, I got jumped on by about 10 people saying Heskey gave a shitload to the team.

Feel lucky. The last time I said that, I got jumped on by about 10 people saying Heskey gave a shitload to the team.

People who use that argument are mongs, Heskey produces very little and when it comes down to it a striker that never scores isn't going to be good enough in a world cup campaign

People who use that argument are mongs, Heskey produces very little and when it comes down to it a striker that never scores isn't going to be good enough in a world cup campaign

France did alright in 98 without a scoring striker.

France did alright in 98 without a scoring striker.

How on earth can you discard Stephane Guivarc'h?

:facepalm:

Capello likes the big guys as they cause problems for international defences - they eat up people like Owen (and Rooney) all day, every day

I also suspect he won't take anyone who is not FULLY fit or who has a history of injuries - it just isn't worth it

Capello likes the big guys as they cause problems for international defences - they eat up people like Owen (and Rooney) all day, every day

I also suspect he won't take anyone who is not FULLY fit or who has a history of injuries - it just isn't worth it

Rooney's not little though, he's like a fucking tank.

Guest Stephen927

Right now he doesn't deserve to go. If by some miracle though he rediscovers his old form and nets 15 before the end of the season, then he probably deserves to go.

All Michael Owen offers to the team is goals, when he isn't hitting the back of the net he's no good to anybody. Then theres the chance he could be selected and pull up in training before a group game, then he would be a waste of a spot.

If he does I hope the same thing happens to him as happened last time as a Newcastle player

Capello doesn't rate him, simple as that. He could score 20 goals from now until May and I still don't think he'd go.

You have to remember the only time England won the World Cup, Alf Ramsey ignored the press and brought in players the press were baffled by, who became the stars of the show - Hurst and Peters.

The man the press were shrieking for Jimmy Greaves, barely got a look in.

Something like what Capello is doing now.

There is absolutely nothing that Owen has to go on when it comes to getting into the England squad. But that's if the World Cup was tomorrow. Keegan proved that Owen can be used effectively despite him losing a yard and a half of pace. He actually looked like a fantastic, intelligent footballer again in that spell. If he can get into the Manu side and score a bundle of goals this season, then he's worth a shout. However, in a 4-4-2 as a striker, he is absolutely done for and will never, ever be the player that he was pre 06.

Basically, Owen's got to get into the Manu side, score a lot of goals, and for England to change their system. Otherwise he won't go.

(I'll be gutted if he does like)

Guest firetotheworks

I'd rather he got picked, then broke his leg and England win the WC.

Im never normally spiteful either. I even hope there's a campaign for him to get a winners medal which fails, and then Platini comes out and says he's shit.

I couldn't enjoy us winning the world cup anywhere near as much if he was involved, petty perhaps but it's how I feel.

Fortunately a lot of strikers on the fringes of the squad are really stepping up in the premiership this season, relegating him to where he belongs, in an underachieving past.

If Owen goes to the World Cup it'll be an absolute travesty. The little bastard was shit as fuck for us for god knows how long, not looking remotely interested when we needed a point to stay up on the last day of the season, even playing for his mate Al. His reward for that is to get a move to the best team in the country. Now for said team he's fucking shit and seems to be behind Danny Welbeck in the pecking order, so naturally his new reward for being a total cunt, passed it, wreck of a footballer is to be called up for England's World Cup squad. Bent, Rooney, Gabby, Crouch, Defoe, Walcott and Cole are just a few strikers that are better, more effective, more talented and more deserving of a call up than this prick.

Which is just massively over the top. We wasted money on him being the best argument anyone could have, being moreso the clubs fault rather than him for accepting the huge amounts being offered.

All this massive personal dislike is just a result of some putting way to much expectancy on the guy to single handedly turn around the fortunes of a crap team because of the money he earned, he was never that player in the first place & is a long way off being near the top of the people to blame for our relegation.

Not very patriotic but I couldn't care less about England whilst the toon are where we are. Not particularly bothered anyway and if he goes, adding to the ManU/liverpool love in that often is the England squad it'll only add to my apathy. Howeve Capello seems to make good decisions that buck this trend, bringing in young talent from the likes of Aston Villa and have a better chance of winning than with the 'Golden generatrion'  :facepalm: Still out in semis to the Germans/Argies tho

Which is just massively over the top. We wasted money on him being the best argument anyone could have, being moreso the clubs fault rather than him for accepting the huge amounts being offered.

All this massive personal dislike is just a result of some putting way to much expectancy on the guy to single handedly turn around the fortunes of a crap team because of the money he earned, he was never that player in the first place & is a long way off being near the top of the people to blame for our relegation.

Expecting a striker (who was our captain btw) to score a goal to keep us up, and at least look like he gives a fuck is not the same as expecting him to single handedly turn around the fortunes of the club.