Man given 1yr (suspended) on appeal for chasing down and injuring burglars.

mouldy_uk

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article6956044.ece

A businessman who fought off knife-wielding thugs who were threatening to kill his family has been jailed for 30 months, while his attackers escaped a jail sentence.

The case, compared to that of Tony Martin, jailed after he shot dead a teenage burglar at his farmhouse in 2000, has prompted debate over the level of force that householders can legitimately use to defend themselves.

Munir Hussain and his wife and three children returned from their local mosque during Ramadan to find three intruders, wearing balaclavas, in their home.

The family members’ hands were tied behind their backs and they were forced to crawl from room to room. Hussain, chairman of the Asian Business Council, was told that he would be killed, but made his escape after throwing a coffee table and enlisted his brother Tokeer in chasing the offenders down the street in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, bringing one of them to the ground.

Related Links

What followed was described in Reading Crown Court as self-defence that went too far, leaving intruder Walid Salem with a permanent brain injury after he was struck with a cricket bat so hard that it broke into three pieces. Neighbours saw several men beating Salem with weapons including a metal pole.

Salem was the only intruder caught after the incident on September 3, 2008, but his injuries meant he was not fit to plead after being charged with false imprisonment.

Salem, who has a string of 50 past convictions, was given a two-year supervision order at a court hearing in September this year. He is currently in custody awaiting trial for an alleged credit card fraud.

But the brothers, described as family men at the heart of the local community, were found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent after a trial earlier this year. The prosecution alleged two other men took part in the so-called “revenge attack” with them.

Munir Hussain was given a 30-month sentence, while his brother, Tokeer, was jailed for 39 months.

Hussain, an engineer by training, came to Britain in 1964 and founded a company which employs nine people and had a £2.4 million turnover last year. In 2004 he won the Business Link small business of the year award. He is a former chairman of the Wycombe Race Equality Council.

Judge John Reddihough said that Munir Hussain’s family had been subject to a “serious and wicked offence” and praised the bravery of his teenage son who escaped to raise the alarm.

He also noted the “courage” of Munir Hussain, but said he carried out a “dreadful, violent attack” on Salem as he lay defenceless. Under normal sentencing guidelines they would each be starting sentences of at least seven years, the judge added.

Was justice served?

No justice. you should be allowed to protect your family.

they should give you the benefit if you lose a bit control and chase them down the street, your angry and enraged... caused by them in the first place.

they should give you the benefit if you lose a bit control and chase them down the street, your angry and enraged... caused by them in the first place.

Ironic considering your view on Andy Carroll

Ironic considering your view on Andy Carroll

Andy Carroll is a burglar?

“However, if persons were permitted to take the law into their own hands and inflict their own instant and violent punishment on an apprehended offender rather than letting justice take its course, then the rule of law and our system of criminal justice, which are the hallmarks of a civilised society, would collapse.”

“What started as reasonable self defence by Munir Hussain then turned into excessive force by virtue of a sustained attack by Munir, Tokeer and at least two others.”

Misleading title tbh, he didn't get jailed for fighting them off, he got jailed for twatting them with cricket bats so hard they sustained brain damage after the burglary was finished. I can understand how it got there but there's no defence for it really.

Neighbours saw several men beating Salem with weapons including a metal pole.

Misleading title tbh, he didn't get jailed for fighting them off, he got jailed for twatting them with cricket bats so hard they sustained brain damage after the burglary was finished. I can understand how it got there but there's no defence for it really.

Neighbours saw several men beating Salem with weapons including a metal pole.

I like the bit the solicitor whines how justice has been wronged twice, once for jailing Hussain and the other because they didn't try Salem. Why was Salem not tried? Because he's brain damaged caused by Hussain smnashing a cricket bat over his head so hard is snapped. Fuking 'tard.

it's hard for me to see it as a "revenge attack" when a man & his family have been put in a situation where they surely feared for their lives & possibly other kinds of violence to the women.  i'd be pleading temporary insanity if it was me.  b/c i'd have gone crazy over the top protecting my wife & kids.  judges & juries need to understand that...

Initially he was correct, but a group of men chasing the burglars down the street and beating him nearly to death seems a beyond 'reasonable force'.

You could make a case for provocation/insanity I suppose, but the jury must have decided otherwise.

Burglars don't deserve resonable force.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Initially he was correct, but a group of men chasing the burglars down the street and beating him nearly to death seems a beyond 'reasonable force'.

You could make a case for provocation/insanity I suppose, but the jury must have decided otherwise.

Burglars don't deserve resonable force.

Especially turd burglars.