Free standing pull up bar

Dr. TC

My favourite exercise when down the gym is doing pull-ups, and I've long wanted to be able to do them at home. Unfortunately there's no appropriate piece of masonry in my new place, and I hate using those door frame bars. I'm looking therefore for a free standing solution, but they all seem needlessly complicated and/or expensive. Anyone got any ideas where I would be able to get one on the cheap for <£50 or so?

I see this is available for $87 in walmart, but can't find anything near that price in the UK:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12536778&sourceid=04421923573316279502

I know some of you guys are into the whole fitness thing so wondering if you have any bright ideas.

Guest guinness_fiend

That looks like a death trap :lol:

You'd be much better using a doorframe mount.  At least it'll be secure and your folks won't find you snapped in two on the floor after trying some elaborate reverse crunch.

Unfortunately my ceilings are too low and i'm too tall for a doorframe mount. Also, I rent my house so can't afford to do any damage. With a freestanding one I can keep it in the garage and take it outside to do pullups. Hence would have to be relatively portable, like the included example.

I take your point about flimsiness, but I don't plan on doing anything too adventurous!