Quote from Rob Lee about todays squad

Leazes1986

From the Mag:

Who of today's team would have found a place in Kevin Keegan's team/squad?

"Well if its 'squad' its easier to answer, Shay Given definitely, Michael Owen, Damien Duff (as we all know what he's capable of), and Scotty Parker, plus Tayor and Ramage as he loved having local boys in the mix and they're good young players"

What are peoples thoughts/opinions?

Guest Knightrider

Only Given would get in that side, none of the others would. Owen wouldn't have dislodged Sir Les or Shearer, or Beardsley. Not IMO anyway.

Guest Knightrider

Rob Lee, future Toon no.2 for Shearer :D

I think its a daft question though coz KK would be able to get the very best out of some of our non performaer.

IMO it should be Shearer as No.2 to Mike Newell and very quickly.

You want Mike Newell in charge? What ever for?

I think its a daft question though coz KK would be able to get the very best out of some of our non performaer.

That is very true. We know how good/bad all of our players are though at our best, so just think of it that way. I'd say Given, Harper, Taylor, Solano, Parker, Duff, N'Zogbia and Owen would definitely get in the squad. Maybe Emre. No point even counting Dyer. As for the team i think Given, Parker and Solano. Maybe Taylor. I don't know about you lot but if i had the choice between Shearer, Sir Les and Owen, it would be Shearer and Sir Les every time.

Guest smoggeordie

That is very true. We know how good/bad all of our players are though at our best, so just think of it that way. I'd say Given, Harper, Taylor, Solano, Parker, Duff, N'Zogbia and Owen would definitely get in the squad. Maybe Emre. No point even counting Dyer. As for the team i think Given, Parker and Solano. Maybe Taylor. I don't know about you lot but if i had the choice between Shearer, Sir Les and Owen, it would be Shearer and Sir Les every time.

Solano can't even get in our team now so why would he get in KK's team?

He's not been playing well but neither have many players. Its not looking great for Nobby, i don't know weather he's past it, or he's suffering from playing under poor managers, but i just thought of Nobby at his best. Nobby or Gillespie?

Was just going to mention that. Gillespie of 1995 would walk into that current Newcastle side.

IMO it should be Shearer as No.2 to Mike Newell and very quickly.

Good honest young manager.

You want Mike Newell in charge? What ever for?

Just imagine a fired Zogg Keegan style, I think we all know most of our squad can play better than what we are seeing from them right now.

KK  DOF

Shearer Manager

Rob Lee NO.2

Assistants

Speedo

Sir Les

One day that is what we could very well see, well maybe not the KK bit but the others.

It would be nice to see that one day, but only under once condition. They ALL go elsewhere first and prove themselves to be good coaches. We all know great players don't always make good managers/coaches. Them lot potentially could be great, but Newcastle is far too big of a job for unexperienced people to come in and take over. Even Shearer.

It would be nice to see that one day, but only under once condition. They ALL go elsewhere first and prove themselves to be good coaches. We all know great players don't always make good managers/coaches. Them lot potentially could be great, but Newcastle is far too big of a job for unexperienced people to come in and take over. Even Shearer.

Exactly. You wouldn't see Wise & Poyet walking into the Chelsea job.

Prove themselves where though

Lower league management/coaching is a hell of a lot different to Premiership managing/coaching.

Souness for example would be great as a lower league manager as he woulc rule by fear and get a response that way. Premiership 'stars' don't react as well to that style of management.

Similarly I doubt that Rafa or Jose would be as succesful lower down the Ladder.

Also look at Le Guen, should managing Rangers be more difficult than Lyon? I'd suggest not but his techniques don't seem to be working too well up North

OH aye but them going and getting their coaching badges first would be a start though :D Anyone know if Speedo or Lee have done are doing their badges ?

I think Speed is taking his. Rob says he's doing his.

"On 30th July 2006 it was announced that Gary had taken a part time coaching role in league 2 side Wrexhams academy"

Certinaly seems like he wants to go into the coaching/management game.

Only at Newcastle would sentimental tosh like that happen. You'd not see Wright, Adams, Seaman & Bergkamp become the coaching staff at Arsenal, Redknapp, Grobbelaar, McManaman & Rush at Liverpool, etc. So why here?

Aye but the fact is in the years to ocme we may very well see it happen.

Only at Newcastle would sentimental tosh like that happen. You'd not see Wright, Adams, Seaman & Bergkamp become the coaching staff at Arsenal, Redknapp, Grobbelaar, McManaman & Rush at Liverpool, etc. So why here?

Possibly because the last time 2 inexperienced old boys came back to the club we played possibly the best football the team has ever produced and were genuine title contenders.

I would think that Keegan would have spotted the class that only Solano brings to our team at the minute, the class that Solano has always shown while at the club.

The fact that Roeder can't see it is more down to Roeder than Nobby.