Would you extend Harewood's loan until the end of the season?

LoveItIfWeBeatU
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would. He's scored a few important goals. Also, who knows what will happen to Carroll after his arrest so we may need the cover.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/12/18/marlon-harewood-attracts-outside-interest-61634-25419056/

Marlon Harewood attracts outside interest

Dec 18 2009 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

A TRIO of Championship clubs have inquired about Marlon Harewood as Chris Hughton continues to make the striker sweat over his Newcastle United future.

Having recovered his form and fitness after a slow start at St James’ Park, Harewood is desperate to remain at United for the duration of the season but Hughton has been reticent to offer the forward assurances either in public or private over his long-term future.

That situation has not gone unnoticed elsewhere in the division with United’s Championship rivals Sheffield United, Cardiff City and Roy Keane’s Ipswich Town all interested in the Aston Villa striker if Hughton decides to look elsewhere.

Queens Park Rangers were also keeping tabs on Harewood (pictured below) but Jim Magilton’s exit and Paul Hart’s subsequent appointment may have changed priorities at Loftus Road.

It is clear that the forward would prefer to stay on Tyneside but United are content to let his loan spell run “to the wire” before making a decision. As things stand, his last game in black and white will be the Boxing Day trip to Sheffield Wednesday.

Harewood’s agent Phil Sproson told The Journal the 30-year-old is keen to “finish what he’s started” and clinch promotion but admitted the club are giving nothing away about their January intentions.

“Marlon has settled in extremely well and gets on very well with the other players,” he said.

“He feels part of it and we hope that something can be sorted, either on a permanent basis or until the end of the season. I know he would like to stay and it would be a real shame if he wasn’t able to finish the job.

“He is happy at Newcastle and although it took him a while to get back to the level he wants to be at his form and fitness have recovered and he’s enjoying his football again.”

Three of Harewood’s four goals since joining United have come in his last four games and the competition for striking berths appears to have brought out the best in him.

making many signings in January. He knows that Harewood does not come cheap – the striker is on Premier League wages at Villa Park – and he is also hoping to make Danny Simpson’s signing permanent as well as clinching a deal for Sheffield United defender Matthew Kilgallon.

Hughton continues to scour the loan market too, and has an interest in Arsenal’s precocious midfielder Jack Wilshere, who would command a sizeable loan fee. The Newcastle boss will also be monitoring the unfolding financial turmoil at Watford with one eye on prising on-loan Tom Cleverly from the Hornets. But key among his priorities is maintaining the status quo at United and having five strikers competing for two places in the line-up has worked well in the first half of the season.

Certainly Harewood has support in the dressing room. Fellow striker Peter

Lovenkrands called for his loan to be extended earlier this week and senior players are understood to be impressed with the way he has buckled down after a shaky start to life in the North East.

For Nicky Butt, maintaining the chemistry of the dressing room is key to helping United consolidate on their seven point lead at the top of the Championship.

“We all like each other and are working hard for each other. It is nice to have that,” the United skipper said.

Meanwhile, former United assistant boss John Carver has been appointed number two to Paul Mariner at Plymouth Argyle – who face Newcastle in the third round of the FA Cup on January 2.

Mariner hailed the appointment ahead of the home Coca-Cola Championship clash against Coventry. Carver was with Mariner on the training ground yesterday before being unveiled at a midday press conference at Home Park.

Mariner said: “I am obviously delighted John is going to be my assistant. He knows the game inside out and we are going to be coaching the team together – sometimes I will do it, sometimes John will do it. The way I see it, John will be doing most of the sessions because he’s a fantastic coach.”

Elsewhere, former Magpies star Steve Watson will work alongside temporary manager Sean McAuley on an informal basis at Sheffield Wednesday.

Former Owls skipper Watson, 35, was forced to retire from in the summer due to a hip problem but has been training with the club and following the departure of Brian Laws and coaches Russ Wilcox and John Dungworth, McAuley is grateful to be able to call on him.

McAuley said: “Steve has a lot to offer in terms of knowledge and experience. He was coming in anyway. I can utilise him.”

All depends if we can get anyone better in.

Nail on head. Is there better either at the club or who we could attract from elsewhere?

I'd be quite happy with Lovelyhands, Ranger, Shola and Andy 'Hitman' Carroll if we could get in Wiltshire (assuming we're playing a one in one out game here) and possibly get Vikic some game time when he recovers from injury.

If its Harewood or no-one, then the only possible harm to keeping him would be in keeping Nile or Andy off the green stuff

Aye but with no-view to a permanent deal.

Shola is a crock. AC could be doing time/community service. Ranger is still a work in progress. So for me it is better to stick than twist.

This. Shola looks like he's gonna be in and out and I think Harewood well get goals at this level in spite of his casual demeanour.

Said it a few times now but he offers a different option to all the other strikers we have got even if he lacks real quality at a higher level. The goal he scored on Saturday is the type none of our other strikers will score. If he offers us another strike option for the rest of this season what have we got to lose?

Guest Roger Kint

We have two weeks to look for a better option, only when that avenue is wasted exhausted should we go back for Harewood who is half decent.

Amazing how much difference 3 goals makes. 3 weeks back I was an 'idiot' for wanting his deal to be extended.

He's getting sharper with every game, and as someone else mentioned, if Shola f***s off to the ANC or gets injured........