Whisky

Ocho

I want to buy some whisky as a present, but it has to be decent quality - but I don't know what's decent.

I gather that the older it is, the better quality - but what about 'single malt' and all that stuff.  And Irish, Scottish types etc.

What's best?

My Dad loves Glenmorangie, about £20-25 a bottle.

Got him this from Costco:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/ProductImage.aspx?pc=GMGOB.10YOV22&w=270

£23

Though there's a lot better quality around, you want something better?

Edit: My Dad always says 'Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky' preferably a Glen-something.

My personal every day favourite is The Glenlivit but, if you can get it Tamdhu is simply stunning!!

For something special try the Aaron Single Malt, it is pricey but, worth every bean!

However, all that is in the past now that I am tee total, 1 week and 1 day so far (and counting!)  :idiot2:

My Dad loves Glenmorangie, about £20-25 a bottle.

Got him this from Costco:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/ProductImage.aspx?pc=GMGOB.10YOV22&w=270

£23

Though there's a lot better quality around, you want something better?

Edit: My Dad always says 'Single Highland Malt Scotch Whisky' preferably a Glen-something.

I'd go along with Glenmorangie and add Laphroaig and Macallan.  Laphroaig would be my first choice but the other two are excellent.

Guest lankybellwipe

If you're looking fir maturity. I think that could run into the more expensive brands. Bells reckons theirs matures over eight years, but for a mass production average price label, I would have to discount that as a bit of a marketing bit of tiny bollocks like man!

I cannot knock, dissuade myself from, or find fault with Tennesse No. 7, for me, straight, no ice, and it astounds me that I'm not a plonkey!! (which some of you may think I am anyway?)

• 11 months later...

Laphroaig Quarter Cask - i'm looking for opinions folks.  I love the 10yr Laphroaig, it's my favourite whisky.  ASDA have both of them on special offer and i get paid on Wednesday (i usually buy a malt every second payday).

The Quarter Cask stuff has had good reviews.  One said something along the lines of "for the Laphroaig lover this is like discovering Laphroaig all over again".

Can anybody confirm or deny this?  What would you recommend?  (and don't recommend anthing other than an Islay malt please)

Guest elbee909

Laphroaig Quarter Cask - i'm looking for opinions folks.  I love the 10yr Laphroaig, it's my favourite whisky.  ASDA have both of them on special offer and i get paid on Wednesday (i usually buy a malt every second payday).

The Quarter Cask stuff has had good reviews.  One said something along the lines of "for the Laphroaig lover this is like discovering Laphroaig all over again".

Can anybody confirm or deny this?  What would you recommend?  (and don't recommend anthing other than an Islay malt please)

It's stronger in terms of alcohol, definitely, but I honestly can't notice a massive difference.

In my experience the good stuff is spelt Whiskey.

It's stronger in terms of alcohol, definitely, but I honestly can't notice a massive difference.

The reviews say it's rough at first (as you'd expect with the extra 8%) but it's smokier...?  If there's nae difference then i'd probably go for the normal 10yr stuff that i know i love.  ASDA have it at £20 the now and they have the Quarter Cask stuff at about £21.50.  One pound fifty isna a lot but i just want to make sure i'm no missing oot on anything wi this special edition stuff.

In my experience the good stuff is spelt Whiskey.

Piss off man.

It's the truth. Scotch can be a bit dodgy, there's too many brands and there's a lot of s*** in it. Nothing beets a drop of Jamesson/Paddys/Powers or Jack Daniels  :snod:

buy it and let me know. love my islays but it's a seasonal thing for me. islays in the autumn and winter, speysides and lowlands in the spring/summer.

highland park (orkney i know) and jamesons (irish blend i know) are my standards and i'm starting to prefer an ardbeg or bowmore over a laphroaig.