Craig Bellamy

James

Bellamy put himself before the club too. Refusing to play on the wing and threatening to leave the club if we signed Rooney.

He did play on the wing, though. I wholeheartedly believe that Souness was trying to force him out from the start.

Yes, he tolerated it for few games....

Don't agree with the 2nd sentence. They both were egotistical twats.

I wholeheartedly believe that Souness was trying to force him out from the start.

:thup:

Was clear as mud.  That time he took him off v Charlton when he was having a blinder. :jesuswept:

Was by far the best player on the pitch and the only one making anything happen, I was flabbergasted but it was clearly a bullshit power trip from the manager.

Bobby was perfectly capable of handling shearer - he just didn't have shepherd's support.

Shepherd worshipped shearer and was also fearful (wrongly imo) of the fans' reaction had he been sold or used only as back up.

Guest Howaythetoon

By that point Shearer only cared about himself.

No coincidence that Bobby was sacked 2 days after dropping Shearer in favour of Kluivert and a few weeks after Shearer confronted him after being subbed at Celtic. Bobby suggested to FS that he needed replacing and I don't believe for one second it wouldn't have got back to Shearer in some form.

Nor is it a coincidence that Shearer recommended Bobby's replacement to be someone who'd lived next to Shearer during his Blackburn days and tried to sign Shearer that very summer (2004). Shearer was self preserving to the club's detriment.

I've seen him score a brace and have a great game but come off with a face like thunder because we've lost. All players and indeed sportsmen, especially the elite, have a selfish streak, they have to, but to say Shearer only cared about himself, howay man. If that was the case he would have left us in 97/98 for Inter, Arsenal, Man Utd or Barcelona who Sir Bobby said all made calls to NUFC to attempt to sign him.

People point to him staying to break Wor Jackie's record as being selfish but I think that's bollocks personally. The man wanted to sign off from Newcastle with something meaningful having never won a trophy, that's the depth of his love for Newcastle. Lets not forget he resigned from England for Newcastle and pretty much put his body on the line for the cause constantly.

He was a club man, in business talk, a corporate man. Ever loyal to the company, ready to serve.

Sure he wanted to be the main man but howay, he had every right given he was the main man most of the time.

I used to have a a Shoot magazine, where Shearer, as a Blackburn player in the height of his prime, was asked: "What's your ultimate ambition"

And his reply? "To play for Newcastle United"

The man as a kid did nowt but live, sleep and eat NUFC 24-7.

There is no way a Geordie whose whole ambition as a kid was to play for Newcastle, who even as a well paid top goalscoring striker for a top-flight club, thought about NUFC all the time, would after a decade with his heroes, only care about himself and not NUFC, no way.

To suggest otherwise is nothing short of stupidity and perhaps even an agenda.

It fucken sickens me how like with KK, some see Shearer as a bad guy yet laud over the likes of f***ing Bellamy who isn't and never was nor never will be, fit to lace the man's boots.

206 goals.

10 years service.

Quality. What do you disagree with about my post?

He put himself first and you know it. Whether he was entitlted to or not is up for debate, but nobody is disputing that his public image is very well maintained.

He didn't put himself first man. Not in your warped sense of the notion anyway. If that is the case then everyone puts themselves first. Did he look out for himself? Of f***ing course. Did he want the best for himself? Of f***ing course but someone truly selfish who only really cares about themselves would never ever put in the level of commitment and performances Shearer did for us, never.

He could of extended his playing career by a few years if he waltzed around the pitch in the same manner Kluivert did while with us or several other countless players who have played for us.

Shearer's so-called power, influence and dominance is a myth. He was a huge figure but only because a) he was our best player, b) top scorer and c) the fans' idol. In short he was the persona he was allowed/afforded to be. He never overstepped the mark though. Even under Gullit, he never once acted anything other than professional. While the likes of Lee and Ferguson were kicking doors down and kicking off, Shearer, as Gullit commended, gave his all in training and was always polite and professional.

The selfish players, those out for themselves, were Bellamy, Robert et al.

You clearly have something against Shearer and always have Ronny.

Yeah, that he put himself before the club. There's too much evidence against the image of him you're trying to convey.

What evidence?

Those 206 goals?

Those 10 years of service?

Those rushing back from injury?

Hanging up his boots for England?

The fact that he questioned the wisdom of sacking Sir Bobby to the board as the man himself would later reveal?

I cannot take anything you infer about shearer when its obvious you have an agenda to paint him as something other than the incredible player he was and obvious legend he was for us.

Guest Howaythetoon

By that point Shearer only cared about himself.

No coincidence that Bobby was sacked 2 days after dropping Shearer in favour of Kluivert and a few weeks after Shearer confronted him after being subbed at Celtic. Bobby suggested to FS that he needed replacing and I don't believe for one second it wouldn't have got back to Shearer in some form.

Nor is it a coincidence that Shearer recommended Bobby's replacement to be someone who'd lived next to Shearer during his Blackburn days and tried to sign Shearer that very summer (2004). Shearer was self preserving to the club's detriment.

Maybe he believed he actually didn't need to be replaced?  Most decisions have at least some selfish aspects to them but I don't think its fair to claim he didn't care about Newcastle.  I'm sure if he didn't he would have had a number of options, no doubt lots of clubs would be very interested in a striker who'd just scored 28 goals in 51 games.

Believing it is fine. Just a shame he felt the need to cement his place by helping to get rid of Bobby and bring in the worst manager we'll (hopefully) ever see at SJP.

Evidence? Did he f*** help to get rid of Bobby. The man he regards as saving his career. Bobby himself said Shearer was very supportive of him after his sacking and that Shearer had personally made his concerns noticed to the board when Sir Bobby was sacked.

Dyer, Bellamy, Bramble to bame just 3 helped to get rid of Bobby.

Did you know that Celtic and Liverpool were after Shearer and FS went to Bobby and said what do you think, we could get upto 5m for him and Bobby said sell him and there would be hell on.

Bobby wanted to keep Shearer, he was the leader in the dressing room and someone he himself could talk to.

FS went to Bobby and said what do you think, we could get upto 5m for him and Bobby said sell him and there would be hell on.

That's the opposite to how Bobby tells it in his book. Bobby had a replacement lined up and Shep was the one who pointed out he was 'the crown jewels' and there would be hell on.

All this stuff about Shearer, my main problem is not how it ended as he gave his all for Newcastle when there's loads who didn't which is what counts for me. I'd have him ahead of Bellamy and Kluivert any day of the week no matter what stage of his career (Bellamy should have been a great player but his attitude got in the way, see how he's moved around so many clubs as evidence).  My main problem with Shearer is him insisting that he had the number nine shirt from Ferdinand who had just had a great season (might have got one of the player of the year awards if my memory serves me right), no excuse for that.

All this stuff about Shearer, my main problem is not how it ended as he gave his all for Newcastle when there's loads who didn't which is what counts for me. I'd have him ahead of Bellamy and Kluivert any day of the week no matter what stage of his career (Bellamy should have been a great player but his attitude got in the way, see how he's moved around so many clubs as evidence).  My main problem with Shearer is him insisting that he had the number nine shirt from Ferdinand who had just had a great season (might have got one of the player of the year awards if my memory serves me right), no excuse for that.[/b[

Wasn't that more of a persuasive tactic from Keegan?

My main problem with Shearer is him insisting that he had the number nine shirt from Ferdinand who had just had a great season (might have got one of the player of the year awards if my memory serves me right), no excuse for that.

Shearer said in his book that he'd "prefer" the number 9 and Keegan said he'd mention it to Les but didn't think it would be a problem. "It wouldn't have stopped me signing" if Ferdinand had said no.

Ferdinand went mental apparently :lol:

As if people need a reason to nail Bellamy this coming season. He's providing the ammo left right and centre releasing this right now. Hope he gets what's coming to him. Little hunchbacked prick.

Nothing, other than what's been posted.

What - the bit in Bobby's book that you mentioned? Most the posts are referencing Shearer's supposed motivations without evidence.

Beyond the book there's far too many coincidences.

There were signs of tension in Sir Bob’s final full season. Shearer spoke to a newspaper about being annoyed at being left out for a UEFA cup game against Valarenga, and in a later interview, he said he’d consider leaving if he didn’t have a regular first-team place. Not what you’d want from your Captain. At the start of the next season, everyone was looking for further signs of friction.

IIRC, Sir Bob paints a confusing picture in his book. He denies that he wanted to sell Shearer, but he then immediately recounts an incident that suggests the opposite. He found out that Shepherd had received an offer for Shearer which he hadn’t told him about, and then met up with Shepherd and proposed that any money for Shearer could be used to buy Mpenza, who ‘could be the future’. Shepherd didn’t budge, saying that selling Shearer would be too unpopular with the supporters.

At other points in the book, he says that Shearer was always supportive, but recounts other incidents where there’s clear disagreement. I remember he also pointed out to Shepherd that he, as an experienced manager, was the right man for the tricky task of easing Shearer into retirement, as a younger man would find it difficult to handle the criticism.

On this last point, he was right, but Shearer won the day, with disastrous results.

I liked shearer - though very frustrated with him hist last season and a half.

I never hero-worshipped shearer like i did other players because I remember how gutted I felt when he celebrated the way he did scoring for blackburn at the gallowgate end.

Petty, I know, but just never forgave him for that.

(Sure he'll be devastated like :lol:)