Newcastle United 2-0 Middlesbrough - 20/12/09 - post match reaction from page 15

Nate

Harewood gets a stupid amount of stick. Our kid was laying into him yesterday and when I quizzed him further he didn't really have a particular reason apart from "He's shit". It's a bit like me and my natural aversion to Jonas.

After his initial petulant performance against Bristol I think he's been pretty good. He keeps getting called lazy but he always seems to be willing to chase down the goalkeeper and it's lead to a goal on one or two occasions. There have been one or two occasions when he's failed to chase down what seem to be winable balls but to be fair to any of our strikers if they chased every hoofed pass they'd be blowing out of their arse after 30 minutes. His workrate was miles above that of Ameobi's yesterday, who I thought phoned it in a little bit until the second half when he suddenly came to life.

I'd like to keep him until the season is done and dusted because he's more of a threat than the glass thug and Dutty Custard in front of goal.

Its not that I think he is shit far from it but I do think at times he shows little effort and would/could be a much better player if he gave a bit more. At times yesterday he did not bother closing down or challenging for the ball, he is getting better and the fans have shown him that they have teken to him a bit more but that does not mean that he can now relax and not put himself about on the pitch.

You're wrong. There were two or three times yesterday he closed the goalkeeper down and he was more than willing to put himself about. I can remember him putting in a fantastic sliding tackle at the start of the second half when he really didn't need to.

The problem with the "too lazy" argument is that the same could be said of any player. Shola has never broke into a sprint in his time here and you can always count on Jonas to lose the ball and have a Latino hissy fit rather than putting his foot back in. I think singling Harewood out when he's by no means the worst offender is very harsh.

Guest Haris Vuckic

;D

Duh Duh Duh Duh f*** OFF BOOORRROO was my fave  :aww:

Gary Glitter's red and white army was better.

I didn't hear that one!  ;D

It was started by a couple of lads in front of me (one of them is the spitting double fo Steven Taylor, just much fatter). They're really good for coming up with mildly witty songs. Problem is if it isn't Geordie Boot Boys a lot of our fans simply don't want to know.

I got my own little nonce joke in on the way up past the away coaches.

Some Boro fan goes '' God im going to get pissed tonight''

So I went, ''Aye just dont do owt to the kids when you are''

I walked swiftly.

Shola gets stuck in and is nowhere near match fit the fitter he gets the more he will do. Two or three times yesterday he put in effort is that enough? there was way more times when he didn't close down and could have, he got moaned at a good few times for not bothering.

Guest WashyGeordie

Walking to the burger vans opposite the box office, and some 'Boro lad got about 5-6 snowballs hit off him, with one directly landing in his face, was funny seeing it.  O0

I was a bit torn in this game, since my best English friend is a smoggie, but nonetheless congratulations on the win.

Starting to believe you have this sewn up. Then again, you already threw a 10+ point lead once, but there's no Manchester United in this division (really, can't see two teams in this division producing the necessary kind of form to throw you out of automatic promotion unless you *really* fuck it up).

Guest neesy111

I was a bit torn in this game, since my best English friend is a smoggie, but nonetheless congratulations on the win.

Starting to believe you have this sewn up. Then again, you already threw a 10+ point lead once, but there's no Manchester United in this division (really, can't see two teams in this division producing the necessary kind of form to throw you out of automatic promotion unless you *really* fuck it up).

this is newcastle we're talking about, so never say ever with us

i'm not celebrating until the fat lady (or fat cockney) sings haha