Pep Guardiola

Delima

People keep saying that with the resources available in the likes of Chelsea & Man City, winning the league is straightforward and a must.

So, Pep Guardiola, winning all 6 trophies available to him in his first season as a manager.

Does this make Pep Guardiola the greatest ever ever ever ever ever ever manager ?

Very well done Pep  :clap: :clap: :clap:, nothing but total respect for you.

Guest Heneage

It's an achievement but bar Zlatan he's hardly pulled up trees in terms of the team and the tactics. Also resources? They spent 40m plus Eto'o for Ibrahimovic. :lol:

The funniest thing though, is that at the beginning of his tenure everybody thought it would be a transitional year (we lost Ronaldinho and Deco, who had been instrumental, and we didn't make any big signing bar Alves - a defender).

Also, we are hardly a modest team indeed, but neither are Real Madrid, Manchester United, Chelsea... and only one can win each trophy. And we won them all.

I also think that Guardiola has "only" improved the house that Rijkaard built.

Guest luquemartins

It helps when you have the likes of Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Puyol!

It helps when those players came through the academy and not spending a freaking single cent.

Sometimes not ruining what you inherit is the greatest achievement for a manager.

We've suffered enough times from people who didn't understand that.

This. Good god this. Roeder, Souness, Allardyce et al. Got worse after each appointment somehow.

It does seem that most managers (and chairmen for that matter) fail to grasp that the old saying "if it aint broke don't fix it" still stands up in modern football. Change for change's sake really. Team finishes two places below last seasons spot, sack the manager. Player has a bad few games, drop him to the stiffs and spend 20m on a replacement.

Just imagine if Souness had come in and said:

"Right lads, I know you've had a bad few games but you've been excellent for the last four seasons so we'll just work hard and get through this. Don't worry about new players or anybody geting sold as I have faith in all of you."

Would that story end in relegation, I wouldn't have thought so.

Guardiola's greatest achievement indeed has been remotivating and revitalizing the same squad that performed so admirably under Rijkaard. We sold Ronaldinho and Deco, but Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Márquez, Sylvinho, Eto'o, etc (Messi was injuried) all were in the squads for both 2006 and 2009 CL finals. Sometimes it makes no sense just to make a "revolution" for revolution's sake.

Guest neesy111

Guardiola's greatest achievement indeed has been remotivating and revitalizing the same squad that performed so admirably under Rijkaard. We sold Ronaldinho and Deco, but Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Márquez, Sylvinho, Eto'o, etc (Messi was injuried) all were in the squads for both 2006 and 2009 CL finals. Sometimes it makes no sense just to make a "revolution" for revolution's sake.

he installed discipline in a team that soo lacked it in rijkaard's last season (ronaldinho turning up for 30% of training sessions, partying most nights under with deco and eto'o), no one doubted their talent and quality though

We have had bad signings indeed, but over the years we've had good ones too. Piqué has been stellar and we paid peanuts for him. Yayá and Keita also great for reasonable prices.

The jury is still out in Keirrison and Chygrynsky, they have been here for 4-5 months only. I remember Márquez in particular was pretty s*** in his first season for example.

Of our signings during Pep's tenure, Keita, Hleb, Chygrynsky and Zlatan were Guardiola's petitions. Henrique, Keirrison, Piqué and Alves were DoF signings (all signings are approved by the manager, by the way). I don't remember who was responsible for Cáceres (who I think is decent and deserved another shot). There are some flops there, and some successes. I think our record is in line with any other big club (with maybe excepting Arsenal).

It helps when you have the likes of Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Puyol!

It helps when those players came through the academy and not spending a freaking single cent.

You spectacularly missed my point, it matters not whether he bought them in multi million deals or inherited them from the Academy. My point was that he is blessed with so many outstanding players that it would be almost harder to fail. I have more respect for managers like Wenger who develop players to become superstars. 

The Barca team this year has a few players who have come through the system and done really well, Busquets and Pedro being the two newer ones. Way i look at it is both Barca and Real have class squads, however Real the manager hasn't got a clue and there is little discipline, they win games due to the talent of the players rather than good tactics. Barca have the talent but they play a certain way that means even if messi/xavi/zlatan/etc are playing shit they can still score goals and win games.

Club legend cut his teeth with the B team then made the step up very successfully.

Barca just do it right; they really are an admirable club from top to bottom.

He also seems like a genuinely ace guy as well.

I don't understand what his obsession with Sergio Busquets is. Maybe he sees a bit of himself in there, or maybe he just prefers Busquets because he's a home grown local player.

Either way, he's not as good as Yaya Toure, and imo the team will suffer because of this decision - Toure is the physical beast who provides a balancing act to Barca's set of silky smooth midgets who can run rings around anyone and everyone, much like Makelele did for Madrid during the "Galaticos" era. Last season Guardiola didn't put a foot wrong, but he was helped out a bit by injuries in the second half of the season where he got away with playing Yaya in the back four in some of the bigger games - this season though he he has more to choose from, and as a result Toure is having to take a back seat at times. If they lose him, it'll be the first big mistake of Guardiola's tenure.

Guardiola really seems to understand the spirit and ethos of the club as well, not surprisingly. He has them playing in a style that is familiar and comfortable to them, a system that he seems to stick to, and a way the fans like. All credit too him.

Snappy dresser too.

I don't understand what his obsession with Sergio Busquets is. Maybe he sees a bit of himself in there, or maybe he just prefers Busquets because he's a home grown local player.

Either way, he's not as good as Yaya Toure, and imo the team will suffer because of this decision - Toure is the physical beast who provides a balancing act to Barca's set of silky smooth midgets who can run rings around anyone and everyone, much like Makelele did for Madrid during the "Galaticos" era. Last season Guardiola didn't put a foot wrong, but he was helped out a bit by injuries in the second half of the season where he got away with playing Yaya in the back four in some of the bigger games - this season though he he has more to choose from, and as a result Toure is having to take a back seat at times. If they lose him, it'll be the first big mistake of Guardiola's tenure.

Maybe he's testing the water as far as Busquets is concerned? Toure is off for the African Cup of Nations in January and he could be making sure he is capable of filling in then?

He's definetely superior though, Busquets will be a good player but he's not at the same level as Toure, who is for me the best defensive midfielder in the World bar maybe Essien.

Maybe he's testing the water as far as Busquets is concerned? Toure is off for the African Cup of Nations in January and he could be making sure he is capable of filling in then?

He's definetely superior though, Busquets will be a good player but he's not at the same level as Toure, who is for me the best defensive midfielder in the World bar maybe Essien.

Essien and Masch are both better.

I do think Yayá is better than Busquets (although Busquets is tactically more disciplined than Yayá), but I don't think Yayá is one of the better defensive mids in the world... Mascherano, Lassana Diarra, Felipe Melo, Essien... are better than him. Lassana Diarra has a bit of a discipline problem though (loses position way too much for my liking, but he's a monster). Senna, too, although he's in obvious decline now due to his age.

I have been watching a Baca XI V a team from Kuwait & to be honest they are s****.

Pinto

Bartra -- Milito -- Chygrynskiy -- Maxwell

Márquez

Jonathan -- Thiago

Jeffrén -- V.Vázquez -- Bojan

A team full of players who are more like Arnau Riera than Messi, is the well dry?