Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Sign him now for about £250k. But if we go up I'd like us to get a better RB and use Simpson as back-up though. He's decent enough at this level but I think he'd struggle against better wingers who would have a right go at him for 90 mins. 

Do you think your argument might hold more water if you upgraded the fee slightly? I know he's out of contract in the summer but this isn't 1970.

He's out of contract in June and he's basically been sent out on loan to put him in the shop window. Man U clearly don't want him and will take whatever they are offered. Why steam in with a million quid if just a fraction of that will get him?  ???

If he's in the shop window I somehow don't see 250k securing his services.

Sign him now for about £250k. But if we go up I'd like us to get a better RB and use Simpson as back-up though. He's decent enough at this level but I think he'd struggle against better wingers who would have a right go at him for 90 mins. 

Do you think your argument might hold more water if you upgraded the fee slightly? I know he's out of contract in the summer but this isn't 1970.

He's out of contract in June and he's basically been sent out on loan to put him in the shop window. Man U clearly don't want him and will take whatever they are offered. Why steam in with a million quid if just a fraction of that will get him?  ???

They'd get more than that for him if they let him leave in the summer from a tribunal.

If he's in the shop window I somehow don't see 250k securing his services.

If he wants to come here they'll take it and get him off their wage bill asap.

Also, can't see Ashley digging much deeper than 250k for a player he could get for nowt in 5/6 months time. :hmm:

They'd get more than that for him if they let him leave in the summer from a tribunal.

Right answer

Hadn't considered the tribunal tbph.  :thup:

Maybe £250k wouldn't be enough... :lol:

Unsure. I'd extend his loan till the end of the season, but beyond that I'm not 100% I wouldn't be against it, he's a good defender, just feel he's a bit shit going forward unlike Jose on the other side.

I think the rebuilding job over summer, if we got promoted, would be so big that any players we can tie down on the cheap will free up money for other areas of the squad. If we can get him cheap, or even free, it's one less problem. Not just from the financial point of view, but he's settled at the club and if we buy someone else they're a gamble, need time to settle in etc etc.

If we went up we would simply have to invest in a striker, a creative midfielder, a winger, we basically need a bigger goal threat and those players don't come cheap. Adding a right back to that list is an unwelcome headache. Simpson is pretty limited and the Premier League would be a big step up, but I think it's a case of beggars can't be choosers.

Guest Heneage

He seems to have fantastic recovery pace though, so I'd take the gamble of him being our starter.

Guest Stephen927

Let's be f***ing real.  We're going to be hard pressed to find a better RB than Simpson wanting to join our ranks with our budget and public standing.  Sign him up.

Nail on head.

Guest Stephen927

He's out of contract in the summer. Man United have not called him back despite their defensive crisis at the moment which suggests to me he'll be allowed to walk away for nothing. Just got to hope he chooses us over the other Premier League strugglers. He has said he wants to stay here, which is encouraging.

He's out of contract in the summer. Man United have not called him back despite their defensive crisis at the moment which suggests to me he'll be allowed to walk away for nothing. Just got to hope he chooses us over the other Premier League strugglers. He has said he wants to stay here, which is encouraging.

We won't get him for free in the summer, his contract runs out yes but he'll be 23 and would go to a tribunal.

Maybe his loan doesn't have a recall clause.

He is a free agent unless he is offered a new contract me thinks. No compensation whatsoever.

Man U could offer him a derisory contract just to ensure it goes to a tribunal.

He seems to have fantastic recovery pace though, so I'd take the gamble of him being our starter.

Fantastic? I actually think he's pretty slow, he hardly seems to move even when it's apparent he's running as quickly as he can.

Are we allowed to offer him a prospective contract at this stage - for next season? I suppose that would be considered tapping up, would it? Don't really know the rules about this.

Either way - it's critical he's here until the end of the season, whether that's signed permanently or loaned again. The back four will get us promoted on their own.

Guest Heneage

Fantastic? I actually think he's pretty slow, he hardly seems to move even when it's apparent he's running as quickly as he can.

I sometimes think you just like disagreeing with me. :lol:

He caught Jermaine Johnson, who is one of the fastest players I've seen at SJP this season.

I don't see anything wrong with his physical ability or his technical ability. As always with young players, his future success will be determined by his decision making both in an attacking and defensive sense.

I think we would be stupid not attempt to sign this lad for next to nothing, ready for next season (hopefully in the prem). One of the biggest problems newcastle has had in the past is not having a big enough squad.

I sometimes think you just like disagreeing with me. :lol:

He caught Jermaine Johnson, who is one of the fastest players I've seen at SJP this season.

Not at all. Our opinions sometimes differ and this is one of those occasions.