Newcastle v Derby Pre-match thread - Live on Sky at 5.20pm (28/12/09)

Guest toonlass

Guest Heneage

How would we utilise his pace, realistically?

We are playing long ball, so it's quite simple. Lovenkrands running onto his flicks and into the channels causing them problems, it seems like they play 3-5-2 which may change, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

You should give Hughton a bell. This team is screaming out for you and your brilliant football shaped brain.

I'm basing it solely on the style we are playing. It's now how I personally would play,check the FM thread for that masterclass.  :-*

How would we utilise his pace, realistically?

We are playing long ball, so it's quite simple. Lovenkrands running onto his flicks and into the channels causing them problems, it seems like they play 3-5-2 which may change, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

You should give Hughton a bell. This team is screaming out for you and your brilliant football shaped brain.

I'm basing it solely on the style we are playing. It's now how I personally would play,check the FM thread for that masterclass.  :-*

It's how i play on Footy Man like....Carroll and Agbonlahor...so just imagine an Agbonlahor who is worse at finishing and controlling the ball, and voila...

Nolan is more experienced, better vision, better at shootin'. Guthrie can cross good & run faster, can also has lost the ball more.

What's Guthrie done better than Nolan apart from his goal verus Leicester and his good crosses?

How about his dozen or so assists.

But I thought it was only goals that counted? Nolan scores more so should be in ahead of Guthrie?

IF Smith is fir

--------------------Harps

Simi--------Tayls----------Colo--------Jose

Guth-------Smith---------Nolan------Jonas

-----------Carroll-----------Shola

Without Smith

--------------------Harps

Simi--------Tayls----------Colo--------Jose

Raylor------Guth---------Nolan-------Jonas

-----------Carroll-----------Shola

Crowd: 46,954 (looks like almost everywhere is almost sold out & a few are sold out).

Can see West Brom beatin' Scunthorpe, so we'll stay 8 points clear at the top.

Not a hope. We will be lucky to hit 40, 000 if the charts on .cock are right. Still loads of seats left.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2qtxwup.png

Looks like alot places are amost sold out. Maybe not almost 47,000 but more than 43,000 or how many we normally get.

im hoping, cos of christmas, post etc, that theres plenty available to pay on the door.

I want us to destroy them limb from limb to put to bed the embarassment of when we gave them half of their Premiership points 2 seasons ago.

Nicky Butt played in the middle of midfield in Derbys only victory of that season. If Houghton is going to persist in picking him a year older and slower than he was even then you can not only expect a repeat performance but also expect our 10 point lead to be eroded away by seasons end.

Harper

R.Taylor - S.Taylor - Coloccini - Enrique

Guthrie - Nolan - Smith - Jonas

Carroll - Ameobi

Subs: Krul, Kadar, Pancrate, Inman, LuaLua, Lovenkrands, Ranger

Inman?

And as for the team selection...

Let's just say I'm glad we don't have you as manager.

What's that bad about it? It's not like I've dropped our top goalscorer, now that would be stupid.

And as Mick said, we have very little through the middle so having Inman on the bench, even if it's just for the experience, isn't a bad option. The other options are likely to be Geremi or Donaldson.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Harper

Carroll - Ameobi

Inman?

What's that bad about it? It's not like I've dropped our top goalscorer, now that would be stupid.

And as Mick said, we have very little through the middle so having Inman on the bench, even if it's just for the experience, isn't a bad option. The other options are likely to be Geremi or Donaldson.

Bit of an over-reaction on my part, but Inman may well be a promising midfielder, but he's seventeen years old and never really even tasted life on the subs bench, and I think would be totally ineffective and outplayed if brought on. And why pull a player out of a settled back four?  Danny Simpson's gotta be a better option at right back to Ryan Taylor, surely?

And to be honest my main point of reply was why Inman. I've never actually seen him play so I can't comment, just seems a bit soon to give him a place on the bench.

tbf games aren't won by who is on the bench. It's who's on the pitch that matters, especially with Chris '85th minute substitution' Hughton.

To be fair to Hughton, he got most of his subs this season spot on. Yes, sometimes they were too late to make an impact, but as I said most of the time he got them right.

Harper

Carroll - Ameobi

Inman?

Bit of an over-reaction on my part, but Inman may well be a promising midfielder, but he's seventeen years old and never really even tasted life on the subs bench, and I think would be totally ineffective and outplayed if brought on. And why pull a player out of a settled back four?  Danny Simpson's gotta be a better option at right back to Ryan Taylor, surely?

And to be honest my main point of reply was why Inman. I've never actually seen him play so I can't comment, just seems a bit soon to give him a place on the bench.

He doesn't have to come on, but the option is there. We should be beating Derby and if we manage to get ourselves into a comfortable position, it would do no harm bringing him on for the last 15/20 minutes to give Nolan a bit of a rest.

I know what you're saying about a settled back four, but I don't really rate Simpson. I think he's pretty poor and although I don't think Ryan Taylor is much better, I think he offers more going forward.

Derbys' away record is poor, but then again, Sheff Wed hadn't scored for over 10 hours before we came along. You just never know what your gonna get with our lot. Judging by the brief FLS highlights of Derby v B'pool, Derby looked wide open at the back, so let's hope we get back on track with a win.

Derbys' away record is poor, but then again, Sheff Wed hadn't scored for over 10 hours before we came along. You just never know what your gonna get with our lot. Judging by the brief FLS highlights of Derby v B'pool, Derby looked wide open at the back, so let's hope we get back on track with a win.

Blackpool got in behind about half a dozen times. We need some pace up front to take advantage, be it either Ranger or Lovenkrands, I'd probably go with the latter alongside Shola.

Most assists in the Championship this season:

9  Graham Dorrans

Danny Guthrie, Wayne Routledge

7  Jobi McAnuff, George Boyd

Jonas Gutierrez, Chris Burke, Jay Bothroyd

Andy Carroll (and many others)

So Guthrie surely has to play

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I'd like to see

Harper

Simpson        Taylor        Coloccini            Enrique

R.Taylor        Guthrie      Smith ©          Gutierrez

Ameobi        Lovenkrands

Subs- Krul, Kadar, Butt, Nolan, Pancrate, Carroll, Ranger  * Nolan out for fitness

But I reckon we'll see

Harper

Simpson      Taylor    Coloccini        Enrique

Guthrie        Smith ©  Nolan          Gutierrez

Ameobi        Carroll

But I reckon we'll see

Harper

Simpson       Taylor    Coloccini        Enrique

Guthrie         Smith ©   Nolan          Gutierrez

Ameobi         Carroll

Yup.