Could we survive?

Dave

If:

• We got promoted
  • We signed a couple of players - say two or three
  • Hughton somehow learnt how to get more of out the players we already have, or we got a better manager in

Could we survive in the Premier League? I mean, the way we're playing right now we'd be bummed by most half-decent Premier League teams, but there is still a lot of dross in there this year. This isn't about actually doing anything, merely avoiding relegation.

Or does Ashley equal failure, no matter what?

The best case scenario is that a couple of established Premier League sides go down - Portsmouth, West Ham & Bolton would be ideal out of the realistic strugglers. That leaves a lot of doss in the Premiership, so if we can go up we'd definitely have a fighting chance if we brought in 2 or 3 players in the attacking positions - ironically our defence is the strongest part of our team now and Birmingham & Fulham are great examples of teams who are punching above their weight by having a settled back 4 who have gelled as a unit (and yes it helps having a good manager obviously)

I shudder to think. If Ashley stays we have little hope because he's guaranteed to do something stupid at some stage, if he sells we're quite possibly fucked anyway as the transition period is liable to be protracted.

Hughton's a coward, imo, and he's got no chance of inspiring a team that start losing every other game. Two or three new players or not - nailed on bottom 6, but survive by skin of teeth.

Not with Hughton in charge.  Good managers get teams playing better than they can on paper, look at our defence that played CL footy for god's sake.  Say what you want about Phil Brown but that Hull squad that stayed up was woeful, with a decent manager and a few buys we could probably stay up.

We weren't one of the 3 worst teams last season. We're still better than the 3 worst premier league teams this season. The only problem we have is getting the players to turn up and put in a decent shift on a regular basis and formulating a coherent game plan. A decent manager could see us to safety with the team we have now (including loanees).

Apart from in the striking department, I don't think we're far off the bottom 7-8 clubs in the Premier League at all. Think Harper, Enrique, Taylor, Coloccini & Jonas are far better than anything there, could see the likes of Nolan, Smith & Guthrie competing with those sides but nothing higher.

Did people see us struggle against 18th place Derby tonight?

3 new player isn't going to change that and Hughton couldn't tactically inspire us out of a paper bag.

Most people have said we'd need a decent manager to be fair.

Squad would need a massive overhaul. We lack depth in defence, creativity and pace in midfield and an established striker who is PL quality. Dream scenario, get promoted with a few games left in the season, fat Mike to announce he's found a buyer, new owners to come in, bring in a manager with real pedigree and give him a warchest to sign players with. Of course that'll never happen.

Watched bottom of the league Portsmouth the other week and thought they'd destroy us, and with they way teams up there seem to love to have a go at us, i think we need new owners and £25m+ to get mid table

One of the (many) problems with us is that I doubt we'd have the enthusiasm of most promoted teams.  Teams like Hull come up and are running around playing for the lives, trying to prove a point etc. (first bit of the season anyway) whereas I get the feeling the likes of Nolan will be strolling around because they think they are established PL stars.