Hark now here, the geordies sing...?

Superior Acuña

New Years Day (or Boxing Day) was traditionally Derby day, along with either Good Friday or Easter Monday.

I can't remember singing the song before New Years Day 1985, so it may celebrate Peter The Great's hat trick that day  :celb:

In the 50s 60s and 70s the christmas games were traditionally against your local rivals because of travel etc over the period...remember in them days most of the country closed for a week or so...no shops,or anything open, reduced public transport etc so the league used to make it that you played your local rivals at this period

Our one refers to New Years day 1985 where we eat the scum down the road 3-1 with sir peter getting a hat trick missing a penalty and the mackems having 2 men sent off

Sheff wed sing it because of a boxing day game in which they thrashed united

hope that clears things up

In the 50s 60s and 70s the christmas games were traditionally against your local rivals because of travel etc over the period...remember in them days most of the country closed for a week or so...no shops,or anything open, reduced public transport etc so the league used to make it that you played your local rivals at this period

Our one refers to New Years day 1985 where we eat the scum down the road 3-1 with sir peter getting a hat trick missing a penalty and the mackems having 2 men sent off

Cheers, wondered for years.  Always thought it was probably some hooligan event.

New Years Day (or Boxing Day) was traditionally Derby day, along with either Good Friday or Easter Monday.

I can't remember singing the song before New Years Day 1985, so it may celebrate Peter The Great's hat trick that day  :celb:

Aye, that's how I remember it as well. Colin West scored for the filth and they had two sent off ref was labelled racist because the two sent off were dar...coloured!

Anyone remember who they were? One spent time on loan at SJP iirc.

Aye, that's how I remember it as well. Colin West scored for the filth and they had two sent off ref was labelled racist because the two sent off were dar...coloured!

Anyone remember who they were? One spent time on loan at SJP iirc.

Howard Gayle and Gary Bennett were the two that got sent off for them.  Think Beardsley missed a pen as well as scoring 3 goals.

Guest Brummiemag

You mention 'reduced public transport' over Christmas in 'them days'

Lucky for us these days that public transport is so good over the Xmas period - obviously no need for derbies over Xmas anymore!!

It's never made sense to me which is why I've never sung it - why should we fight because of New Year's day when he hammered the bastards twice?

It's a mackem song ill-advisedly stolen imo.

Guest WashyGeordie

It's never made sense to me which is why I've never sung it - why should we fight because of New Year's day when he hammered the bastards twice?

Didn't toon fans go into the Roker end then though? etc.

Plus it was the days of hooliganism, so I don't see how we wouldn't fight.

The NYD games were both at home.

Its the emphasis on "fight because of NYD" that makes it bollocks.

Guest toonlass

The NYD games were both at home.

Its the emphasis on "fight because of NYD" that makes it bollocks.

OMG a chant that isn't factually correct.  :frantic: Whatever next? Someone will be saying that we are not the loyalest football supporters the world has ever had next!

OMG a chant that isn't factually correct.  :frantic: Whatever next? Someone will be saying that we are not the loyalest football supporters the world has ever had next!

:)

I just find that one a bit bad because imo I think it's obviously a Mackem one - they started singing it after we had hammered them (in 1980) so it makes sense from there pov - I think singing it is nearly as bad as if we had a version of Wise Men Say.

I think there are better anti-mackem songs - my favourite is the one to the tune of "those were the days" as I think you can get a lot of venom into the word "hate".