Report: New kit deal agreed with Puma

Dave

Latest News (18th June 2010):

New home kit from here: http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php/topic,66687.msg2390164.html#msg2390164

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100618/united-reveal-new-puma-kits_2240137_2073701

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/championship/newcastleunited/6904877/Newcastle-to-dump-Adidas-for-Puma.html

Newcastle to dump Adidas for Puma

Newcastle United are preparing to welcome in 2010 by announcing a fresh kit deal with German sportswear giant Puma that will end the club's long association with Adidas.

By Rob Stewart

Published: 10:52AM GMT 29 Dec 2009

St James' Park officials are remaining tight-lipped but Telegraph Sport understands from reliable sources on Tyneside that a new deal will be confirmed by the Championship club early in the new year.

Newcastle owner and sports retail tycoon Mike Ashley has agreed to make the switch to Puma after negotiations to extend Adidas's 14-year association with the North-East club broke down.

Fans will not know whether to laugh or cry because, while this means it will be all-change as far as replica shirts are concerned, it also means the yellow away strip that attracted widespread ridicule following its unveiling last summer will be consigned to history after a solitary season.

On the other hand, Adidas have designed many eye-catching home shirts in the traditional black and white stripes since they linked up with Newcastle during Kevin Keegan's first spell in charge as manager when Newcastle challenged for the Premier League title.

Telegraph Sport has also learnt that Newcastle officials are locked in talks with Tyneside-based Northern Rock to extend their long-running role as the club's principal shirt sponsors.

The current deal with the troubled financial institution was signed during Freddy Shepherd's spell as chairman and it seems as though they could remain partners on a long-term basis, with the club leading the race to win promotion back to the Premier League following relegation last season.

The Puma deal and the Northern Rock negotiations represent the latest in a series of commercial developments at the Tyneside club with Newcastle still on the look-out for sponsors for their home ground which is currently known as the sportsdirect.com@st james park.

Whilst Adidas have produced a few naff kits recently, they all have been better than Sheff Weds current Puma shirt that looks very cheap and not too cheerful.

Fans will not know whether to laugh or cry because, while this means it will be all-change as far as replica shirts are concerned, it also means the yellow away strip that attracted widespread ridicule following its unveiling last summer will be consigned to history after a solitary season.

We knew this anyway and it's always the case for away shirts.

Was this not annouced a few weeks ago, or am I having a de ja vue moment?

Been some rumours, but certainly wasn't announced.

Are you sure? Pretty sure I saw some newcastle-esque kits with some of Puma's current 'models' when the news first came out...

We knew this anyway and it's always the case for away shirts.

and its fucking bollocks anyway, that strip's still the best thing about this club, was the only thing that kept me going for a few months.

Aint fussed, Puma shirts are okay, did not buy any new kit this season the first time in a VERY long time I have not bought at least the new home shirt. Even just before Crimbo when the wife said look new home shirt only £25, I should said kna its okay.

You're so hardcore Skirge.

:lol:

Just stll very fed up with the entire situation, top of the league yet no one really seems to excited by it. Sick of hearing the "get out of our club" song game after game when it has no effect what so ever.

Buying a new shirt is not a protest it just don't mean as much to own it as it used to.

Guest WashyGeordie

Olympiakos' shirt's nice from Puma tbh, hopefully we'll have something similar, but obviously in Black&White.

http://is.puma.com/pisa2?fn=/73/7357/735782/735782_01/735782_01.jpg&w=393&h=430&bg=256,256,256

The new Spurs kits are pretty nice and I like the Lazio ones from the last few seasons.

Not too sure on how they handle stripes though. Will the Adidas store become the Puma store then? That puma had better be white, I aint buying a strip with a fucking black cat on it.

The new Spurs kits are pretty nice and I like the Lazio ones from the last few seasons.

Not too sure on how they handle stripes though. Will the Adidas store become the Puma store then? That puma had better be white, I aint buying a strip with a fucking black cat on it.

I'll be utterly amazed if those in charge at the club even consider that.