Alan Shearer

Weznufc

Roy Keane's absolutely spot on about the 'managers who play the game' by getting pally with everyone in the media like. They will all swear blind that being friends with someone makes no difference to their professional judgement, until they're suddenly in a position where they're advocating OGS as the manager for one of the biggest clubs in the world, or comparing a manager with a 20% win rate with one who's won multiple trophies across Europe and they look completely and blatantly compromised. 

33 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Ugh Shearer in that, man. Sticking up for Bruce. “Rafa very clever in getting fans onside”.

saying, very little between them in terms of points and finishes. Etc yada yada yada.

Yep - Then two seconds later slated the decision to play Big Jow up top! 

Pretty offensive and insulting to the fan base. Most had Bruce clocked from day dot for the shithouse he is/was. 

Shearer is a legendary player but very much from PFM school. 

Edited by Likelylad

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Got to say, just watched it, and after hating him for his support to Bruce, and he still supports his pal in this video by the way, I'm in love with Big Al again. Hero of mine growing up. Yeah, I'm upset at him for the past 2 and a half year or so but there'll never be a footballer like him for us ever again. Played for us without winning trophies but acheieved more than he had ever dreamt of.

Hope he gets his statue moved to within SJP grounds and hope he does get some kind of recognition or role from the new owners.

Not sure what people expect Shearer to say about Bruce, they’re mates, I’ve no doubt they regularly bump into each other at Close House and they played in the same era. 

I’d stick up for my mates in public as well; it’s what you do. We’ll never know what conversations they’ve had in private; I’d have been telling him to take Ashley for whatever he could. I’ve no hatred for Bruce, couldn’t stand him before he came, knew that it would unravel and both Ashley and Bruce are now gone. Happy Days.

It really boils my piss the way he perpetuates the "Geordies only have football in their lives" bullshit. It makes the region look like a bunch of simpletons and, now that we are very high profile,  coming out with that bollocks in the media will do nothing to make NUFC more attractive to players considering coming here. Shearer was a magnificent player but I just don't rate him as a pundit as he simply speaks in clichés and platitudes. There's a strong whiff of insincerity too whenever he opens his mouth IMO.

Good video I think. Love Shearer me. 🥰

Of course there’s a couple of cliches in there but on the whole it was good.

I don’t think his words around the Rafa/Bruce bit were that bad either. Didn’t say anything about performances, style just kept it to points/position. Sticking up for a friend is probably about right.

Love it when he talks about signing for us and returning home and also the parts about Sir Bobby. 

6 hours ago, Wandy said:

It really boils my piss the way he perpetuates the "Geordies only have football in their lives" bullshit. It makes the region look like a bunch of simpletons and, now that we are very high profile,  coming out with that bollocks in the media will do nothing to make NUFC more attractive to players considering coming here. Shearer was a magnificent player but I just don't rate him as a pundit as he simply speaks in clichés and platitudes. There's a strong whiff of insincerity too whenever he opens his mouth IMO.

I dunno what bairns these days are like but when I was a kid growing up football was the only thing in the world that mattered. There was fuck all to do except go outside and play football anywhere that was flat enough. Everyone played football, everyone talked football, it was all we did.  Even now I think of all the people I know in my life, the ones I played football with are the ones I know the best. 

Edited by Billy Pilgrim

There's not only football, and not heard what Shearer said yet, but having lived in various places and grown up in Newcastle, I do think Newcastle is especially - if not quite uniquely - obsessed with football, and one club in particular. For various reasons NUFC is a massive focal point of the city in a way many clubs are not imo. 

I agree Shearer has some PFM elements (though don't think he's too bad as a pundit now), but can't get too wound up about him with Bruce given his personal connection with him.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I dunno what bairns these days are like but when I was a kid growing up football was the only thing in the world that mattered. There was fuck all to do except go outside and play football anywhere that was flat enough. Everyone played football, everyone talked football, it was all we did until we worked out how to finger lasses. Even now I think of all the people I know in my life, the ones I played football with are the ones I know the best. 

It's the manner in which it is expressed that rattles me. I was the same, growing up. Completely obsessed with football & NUFC, as were my mates. I am still like that now, as are those same friends. But the idea that NUFC is the only thing going on in our lives is frankly ridiculous. I have loads of hobbies and interests outside of my NUFC obsession, which is why I was able to pull myself away from it all over the last two desperate years. I'm sure there are some people out there who literally don't have anything that interests them except football, but the idea that most Geordies are like this is total nonsense. There is a difference between having the club at the centre of life in the city, and actually having nothing else in your life if that club isn't worth supporting.

Something I did notice though. He had far more things to say about Dalglish and Sir Bobby than Keegan. Even made it a point he signed for the club and not Keegan. Not saying anything but it is a bit different to how the likes of Sir Les, Ginola, Rob Lee, Warren Barton or even Bez talk about Keegan. Shearer did spend only 6 months plus under him here but played under him for England too later.

15 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Something I did notice though. He had far more things to say about Dalglish and Sir Bobby than Keegan. Even made it a point he signed for the club and not Keegan. Not saying anything but it is a bit different to how the likes of Sir Les, Ginola, Rob Lee, Warren Barton or even Bez talk about Keegan. Shearer did spend only 6 months plus under him here but played under him for England too later.

I get the impression Shearer was angry KK left after having signed for HIM only 6 months prior, make no mistake about it, he signed because of KK just as much as because it was NUFC and him coming home. I would have been pissed off too, to be honest, and like Shearer, I idolise the man myself as well. 

15 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Not sure what people expect Shearer to say about Bruce, they’re mates, I’ve no doubt they regularly bump into each other at Close House and they played in the same era. 

I’d stick up for my mates in public as well; it’s what you do. We’ll never know what conversations they’ve had in private; I’d have been telling him to take Ashley for whatever he could. I’ve no hatred for Bruce, couldn’t stand him before he came, knew that it would unravel and both Ashley and Bruce are now gone. Happy Days.

Not to dwell on the negatives as I do still love Shearer, but to me it's a bit different to you or I just randomly sticking up for our mates when he's being paid for his 'professional' opinion on his mate.

I just find it strange considering how cut-throat football can be when getting to the top that once there they become so thin-skinned that their mates have to pull punches in a professional capacity to avoid hurting their feelings. Couldn't imagine actively choosing to have mates I have to constantly tip toe around like that.

Watched that Overlap thing on YT last night, thought it was decent, TBH. We all disagree with his opinion on Bruce, but he's not gonna (publicly) diss a mate. Still maintains he told him not to take it (the job), though probably more so he didn't work for Mike than because he wasn't good enough.

As much as he didn't sign 'for' Keegan, I think its clear KK had a big hand in making his mind up. Shearer said he'd decided to Join Man U at one point, then KK asked for another half hour with him, then he was coming home. :smitten:

Also like the other vid with the quick fire questions... "Best thing about Sunderland?..... They're in League 1" ;D:indi:

Edited by TK-421