Broadband dropping during phone calls.

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

Not long changed phone providers from BT to AOL,  (Cheaper, Free calls ect). Having a annoying problem now though,  because everytime a phone call comes in, or pick up the phone, the broadband drops for about 20 seconds.  It was fine while our phone provider was BT, but now the changeover we are getting this. Any ideas on what to do?

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

Have you changed the filters? If so, one may be faulty.

No not tried that yet,  The changeover was done automatically, nobody came round or anything, and worked fine beforehand.  Ok will try changing the filters.

Guest ProudToBeAGeordie

Are you now using the AOL modem/router?

It came with a free modem negear router,  and tried it but my laptop was getting little if any conectivity through it, so i changed back to my orginal top of the range netgear router and everything is working fine with that, other than this problem.  Best to ask for help in here because do not want to spend 4 hours talking to an indian callcentre worker, going through basic help steps without solving the actual problem.

It sounds like the router/filter/phone are not connected properly to the main phone line.

In an ideal situation, the filter will be connected to the MAIN phone socket in the house, and the router directly into that, without any extensions etc. then the phone or extensions into the filter.

there should be no other connections between the filter and the main box.

the problem you describe normally happens if you have the router connected into a phone extension, the incoming call or the handset being picked up causes intereference on the line and the router drops it and tries to re-connect it.