Sexism vs Racism

Dave

Which is 'worse'?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which is 'worse'?

• Sexism
    • Racism
    • Both as bad as each other

All day on the radio there have been discussions about the Mike Newell comments on female officials in football.

Most arguments against his views have centered on 'his views are just as bad as racism'; ie an unacceptable form of prejudice that is supposed to be long gone 'in this day and age'.

I was wondering which people think is the greater evil.

Please vote honestly. The third option is there if people want to vote for it but don't use it as a cop-out.

Guest Toon Sarnie

Isnt discriminating against someone cos of their colour pretty much the same as discriminating because of their sex? It's all naughty.

because i had to answer truthfully, i had to vote racism, because i am more offended by that than sexism.

I suppose its because its more of a taboo in modern society, or maybe because we arent exposed to extreme sexist views very often, and when i am i often find them ridiculous.

almost all prejudice is bad, and i think it is just how society sees racism as one of the greatest evils around which skews the perspective...

The fact that feminism, to a big extent, has been dealt with (at least in the developed nations) means it is not viewed as a major problem yet racism is still a thorny issue in almost every country in the world, therefore naturally one might say racism is the 'worse' but I'm going to agree with Yorkie here and say it's both equally bad, just one is not as prevalent as the other therefore it doesn't garner as much attention or elicits as big a response.

Good poll.

Though difficult to answer really.

I voted both as bad as each other, but I think sexism is seen as more acceptable, when it shouldn't be.

I don't think it's more acceptable, I think it's just more of a 'it's been dealt with, now can we joke about it??' kinda thing.. which makes it more mainstream.. I guess.

The fact that feminism, to a big extent, has been dealt with (at least in the developed nations) means it is not viewed as a major problem yet racism is still a thorny issue in almost every country in the world, therefore naturally one might say racism is the 'worse' but I'm going to agree with Yorkie here and say it's both equally bad, just one is not as prevalent as the other therefore it doesn't garner as much attention or elicits as big a response.

That's a good point, although I don't think that sexism has been dealt with as much as racism, in the developed world.

At least on the surface people are more likely to think they can get away with sexism than racism, and pass it off as a joke (which sometimes it is, but not always easy to tell) but having said that, I think that racism is often more subtle, and can be more harmful, but it is a really good discussion to have.  :) :thup:

Guest smoggeordie

Now I think about it, People may find my avatar sexist. :confused:

Don't send me the full size version via pm wink wink wink

Guest Toon Sarnie

Dont worry i can't.  mackems.gif

Guest smoggeordie

Dont worry i can't.  mackems.gif

:(

;)

Racism.

Sexism isn't as worse in my opinion because women aren't a minority in the country. All prejudice is wrong, but the circumstances controll the level of severity. If there were 50% Black and 50% white people in this country naturally, and 15% women, i believe sexism would be held in regard as worse. ( Obviously nature doesn't work like that, just and example. )

Good poll.

I voted both as bad as each other, but I think sexism is seen as more acceptable, when it shouldn't be.

I don't think it's more acceptable, I think it's just more of a 'it's been dealt with, now can we joke about it??' kinda thing.. which makes it more mainstream.. I guess.

That's probably true up to a point.

But if you're a woman trying to be accepted in what is seen as a traditionally male field ie for example, your opinion on a football forum ... (or in technology) that's not so easy as it would be for a man, regardless of race, and sometimes the jokes get tiresome when you've had to say 50 times that you do understand the offside rule,  as an example.  :) Sometimes you just don't want to hear all the 'jokes' because you've heard them all before a million times.

Guest Toon Sarnie

Dont worry i can't. mackems.gif

:(

;)

Can't remember where I got it from tbh. you're the 3rd person to ask me for it today aas well. It's in the Help forum under one of my discussion topics.

Not that you need to know that though. :winking:

Racism.

Sexism isn't as worse in my opinion because women aren't a minority in the country. All prejudice is wrong, but the circumstances controll the level of severity. If there were 50% Black and 50% white people in this country naturally, and 15% women, i believe sexism would be held in regard as worse. ( Obviously nature doesn't work like that, just and example. )

Well put, I agree fully.  That said, I think all of it is blown out of proportion.  If people are acting on these prejudices, then that's different, but the belief and saying things should really not be taken notice of.

Guest Toon Sarnie

Good poll.

That's probably true up to a point.

But if you're a woman trying to be accepted in what is seen as a traditionally male field ie for example, your opinion on a football forum ... (or in technology) that's not so easy as it would be for a man, regardless of race, and sometimes the jokes get tiresome when you've had to say 50 times that you do understand the offside rule, as an example. :) Sometimes you just don't want to hear all the 'jokes' because you've heard them all before a million times.

But do you really understand the offside rule?

eekout.gif