Musts for January if we want to get promoted......

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest nufc_geordie

As this season has developed, it seems clear to me that many teams have realised that we aren't comfortable on the ball and have found us out. In the last few games (in fact longer but we were still grinding out wins) teams have been putting us under a lot of pressure when we have the ball and our players have been giving it away. It is also apparent that we have a massive lack of pace throughout the team and that is easily exploited by better teams. In my opinion we are at risk of the wheels falling off and there are three MUSTS for me that will ensure we get out of this league:

1) A ball playing midfielder, confident in possission who can dictate play.

2) A quick striker who can finish.

3) A midfielder who can create something-preferably 1) and 3) would be the same player but i'm guessing they would either be playing in the premiership already or would cost too much if they have both of these characteristics.

On top of these we could really do with signing some up and coming young players who we can start to develop ahead of promotion.

Even if we signed someone like that they wouldn't get in the team ahead of Smith and Nolan. Hopefully Barton's return might solve numbers 1 and 2 if he gets in the team? I wonder if Hughton will start playing 4 CM's again like at the start of the season?

Nolan

Barton    Guthrie

Smith

Guthrie could cover both 1 & 3 and Lovenkrands #2. We dont necessarily need to sign either.

If Guthrie was played in the right place, lovenkrands pace would likely be used more effectively.

Unfortunately the two currently in central midfield are neither the best passers or have the best vision & Guthrie plays on the other side of the pitch.

As this season has developed, it seems clear to me that many teams have realised that we aren't comfortable on the ball and have found us out. In the last few games (in fact longer but we were still grinding out wins) teams have been putting us under a lot of pressure when we have the ball and our players have been giving it away. It is also apparent that we have a massive lack of pace throughout the team and that is easily exploited by better teams. In my opinion we are at risk of the wheels falling off and there are three MUSTS for me that will ensure we get out of this league:

1) A ball playing midfielder, confident in possission who can dictate play.

2) A quick striker who can finish.

3) A midfielder who can create something-preferably 1) and 3) would be the same player but i'm guessing they would either be playing in the premiership already or would cost too much if they have both of these characteristics.

On top of these we could really do with signing some up and coming young players who we can start to develop ahead of promotion.

You are right on all counts but the likelihood of any of these problems being properly addressed is remote.

The best that can be hoped for in the New Year is that somehow the team manage to keep grinding out results, but I fear your assessment of their capabilities is correct.

Unless the club gets back on the winning trail in January there is a big risk of doubts setting into the players ; confidence and good fortune has played a big part in the season so far and things will start to go wrong if these things disappear. Back in 1980, the club were looking good for promotion at Christmas and had beaten the eventual League winners, Stoke City, 2-0 at SJP ; we had Peter Withe(a far better CF than any at the club now)and Alan Shoulder scoring goals and we beat the Mackems 3-1 at SJP on NYrs Day.

We ended up blowing promotion over Easter and it took another 4 years(and KK)to get into the top flight....

1) and 3) in the OP is Barton for me, at least if he can get some fitness and form back. If he's motivated, he should piss this league.

I'd love to see us get people in, but the priority has to be on not letting anyone go.

1) and 3) in the OP is Barton for me, at least if he can get some fitness and form back. If he's motivated, he should piss this league.

I'd love to see us get people in, but the priority has to be on not letting anyone go.

i used to think that but being honest he's had 4 or 5 decent games in his time here so my confidence in that happening is pretty low.

Priorities in January:

1) Keeping hold of everyone.

2) A midfielder that can actually pass a football (too much to ask I know).

3) Defensive cover.

4) Striking cover.

5) A quality right winger.

And as always the sale of the club and/or shafting Hughton would be lovely but is up there with me being able to bite my arse, no chance.

1) - Agreed.

2) - Usually hard to find these players, maybe the best we can hope for is getting Barton fit and ready?

3/4) - If theres any truth to the beckford/boyd rumours then ill be satisfied for now. I would rather we play Kadar as defensive cover rather than someone like zurab again

5) - Wilshere on loan would be great - however Arsenals injurys might make it hard.

:)

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Do you really think Chris Hughton will do this? C'mon, he won't sign a creative midfielder, he won't sign a right winger- He'll sign a player on loan and Beckford/Boyd/Kilgallon permanently. Threads like this are kinda pointless- It will never happen

number one on the opening post is all we need to guarantee promotion.

We might get promotion without one, but we'll struggle to stay up unless we get a midfielder who can dictate in the centre. I have a horrible feeling that Hughton will decide that with limited funds the long ball route is our best chance of survival though.