Musts for January if we want to get promoted......

Guest nufc_geordie

By my calculations, we will gain automatic promotion with 90 points. So far, we have 51 from 24 games which means we need to achieve 39 from the remaining 22 games. We have the quality already to achieve promotion especially  if we purchase a goalscorer and a decent cover in defence.

I agree with attempts to buy Beckford and Killgallon and think we should sign Simpson too. The return of Barton, playing in the centre of midfield would be the creative boost we need.

12 wins and 3 draws from the remaining 22 games is highly achievable, especially if 2 of those wins are against Forest and WBA at home.

85 points usually gets you up no bother.  10 wins will do it.  I think we'll be fine and all this talk of the wheels fallling off a team 3 clear wins clear of 3rd plaae and on an 11 mathch unbeaten run is more than a little premature.  Looking at the situation objectively we should go up comfortably.  Being a toon fan and knowing our propensity for footballing suicide we should be wary, but optimistic.

Pace up front and a creative central midfielder.

Simples.

Yep it seems to be too simple but somehow the management haven't realised it...we've been crying for a creative midfielder for ages already and haven't even been linked to one yet! Looks like Hughton is totally satisfied what he's got available at the moment(Butt,Nolan, Smith). Guthrie cannot really be counted as CM as he never plays at that position while Barton is always out injured.

Apart from Vuckic/Donaldson I don't think we've got too much cover from the reserves/youth teams either...What do you think about Cole Skuse of Bristol C or Jonjo Shelvey from The Addicks? Marc Wilson from Pompey...I wouldn't mind about trying to find someone with a lesser reputation abroad but our so much hyped scouting netword isn't really operational? Or does it even exist?

Some people thought the wheels had falling off during that four game winless run earlier in the season (a much worse run then we're on now), its no closer to happening this time.

Also all through the season we've come up against the odd team that puts us under pressure, simply because its their cup final.  Other teams are overawed by us and IMO we'll continue to see both scenarios throughout the season.

All we need to do really is not sell anyone important, so Geremi can fuck off for a start :lol:

True. Reality is everythings shown us that we're already good enough to win this league regardless.

We were winning games before Harewood joined. We won games with only Ranger upfront, Only Carroll upfront, Ranger & Carroll, Ameobi & Carroll, Harewood & Lovenkrands. Even with Butt in midfield, even with Geremi playing, even down to 10 men. The standard of opposition hasnt changed. Yet we come away worrying that if we dont sign certain positions it'll be risky.

We are the most consistant side in this division. The only games we've lost is when we had both of our first choice centre backs out. Even when we concede with them, its normally after sitting back on taking the lead & a problem we give ourselves rather than being outplayed at 0-0. We've just had two crap games against bottom of the league sides & we're still 8 clear of 3rd with the two sides below us playing eachother next. We are prone to worrying, we look more than good enough.

Also lets be honest, the Derby game was one of those were the ball just wouldn't go in the net, similar to Bristol City at home.  With any luck at all we'd have been a few up within the first half an hour and even after that we had the kind of chances we'd normally put away 9 times out of 10 (Taylors header and Rangers chance for instance).

For me the only aim in this window should be to secure promotion, no point at this stage to think long term. To achieve that we need to find someone that offer a different threat up front, we need as the OP said a fast poacher type of CF. Obviously Beckford fits the bill here but I've got the feeling for one reason or another this one won't come off. Hopefully we've got a back up plan.

I'm not really bothered about the killgallon deal, if it goes through, which seems likely then great, if not I don't think we need to worry too much as from what I've seen Kadar looks just as good a prospect and provides cover at CB.

What I think we do need to address quickly is right back,we can't afford to let Simpson's loan end without extending it or signing him up for a fee.

In terms of the creative midfielder, I don't really agree that that is essential for us to get out of the division, we are very strong at the back and don't concede too many as long as we continue to do that, we'll make enough chances with the players we have to win enough points to secure promotion.

The key for us is to remain solid at the back, our defensive record is fantastic, mostly down to having a prem quality back 5, if we can keep that up and get that poacher, I think we'll cruise to promotion.