FA Cup 4th Round Draw - West Brom (a) if we beat Plymouth

Guest michaelfoster

Guest Brummiemag

The bottom line of this debate is that for some people, myself included, the FA Cup is just as important as promotion or staying in the Premier League.

I would just as soon rest players for a League game as I would for the FA Cup, because in my opinion its just as important. If given the choice I would rather win the FA Cup than get promoted, because after 55 years without one its long overdue. I know other Newcastle fans who go to far more games than me who think the same thing. In actual fact theres no reason why you cant get promoted and have a good cup run, it didnt do Burnley any harm last season

I wonder which game most Leeds fans will remember and enjoy the most from this season?

Ok lets talk about Morale, say we get Chelsea who hammer us 6-0. Hardly going to give the lads a boost is it?

Why don't we go and play in league 2 where we would never get beat then? How about moving to the SPL? We are Newcastle United, not fuckin Wigan. We should play competitions and attempt to win them. Even if we don't we should give it a good go. Id rather that than just existing like some of the pathetic clubs who's sole aim is to survive in the Prem.

I absolutely adore anything to do with tradition when it comes to football, cos it's gradually slipping away - thanks entirely to the Premiership/commercial revolution that has just snowballed since 1992. And i love the FA Cup too.

But it's beyond pointless us even participating it this year cos we're not going to fucking win it. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to go all guns blazing. It's undoubtedly a defeatist attitude but we need to go up this year, or it'll just get harder and harder. We have a threadbare squad that, i think, will struggle with the fatigue come later in the season - and God forbid any serious injuries.

It's shite cos i love the cup but if we lay down and died i wouldn't be fussed at all.

If we don't go up this season we will lose the few remaining good players we have left and will really fucking struggle after that.

Forgot pride, have a bit of realism and think about the long term rather than a good cup run in which if you are being honest you know we don't really have a chance.

Guest toonlass

I want Leeds away purely cos my little bro is at uni there and I could double up the football with a trip to see him and a night out in Leeds

The bottom line of this debate is that for some people, myself included, the FA Cup is just as important as promotion or staying in the Premier League.

I would just as soon rest players for a League game as I would for the FA Cup, because in my opinion its just as important. If given the choice I would rather win the FA Cup than get promoted, because after 55 years without one its long overdue. I know other Newcastle fans who go to far more games than me who think the same thing. In actual fact theres no reason why you cant get promoted and have a good cup run, it didnt do Burnley any harm last season

I wonder which game most Leeds fans will remember and enjoy the most from this season?  

If Beckford, Kisnorbo and Snodgrass had all got injured and they'd lost the game aswell, and didn't go up as a result - then it would be catastrophic.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing. I wouldn't want to risk the fitness of our key players when they're going to be so vitally important in the long run. And i mean, i know you're saying you'd just as much win the cup as get promoted, but that's barely even a valid reason given we have absolutely no chance of winning the thing.

Promotion = More Important that FA Cup run but as someone pointed out there is no reason you can't have both. Its unlikely we'll do well but if you only entered the cup to win it is there any point of the majority of teams that enter to be in it. There is nothing wrong with rotating the squad for it as we did yesterday, but I would hate it if we put out a complete shadow team yesterday.

If we don't go up this season we will lose the few remaining good players we have left and will really f***ing struggle after that.

Forgot pride, have a bit of realism and think about the long term rather than a good cup run in which if you are being honest you know we don't really have a chance.

Its not just to do with pride. A good run lifts the place as well, and injuries are just as likely in the league. These games are played on free Saturdays.

We will be in the same position next year if we're fighting relegation. We were in the same position last year. Do we never try unless we're in a safe midtable position?

Seriously, what's the point? We're not going to win it. And i beg to differ on how much it would lift the place... we're comfortably top and people are still unhappy about plenty of things - justifiably. It's pretty obvious that the only thing that will lift the place is Ashley leavin - which obviously isn't going to happen. There's just nothing to gain from going all guns blazing in the cup, when we'll get knocked out as soon as we come up against a semi-decent team.

I think a good run in the FA cup in all likelihood would do us more good than bad. There's clearly a chance it could do the opposite but I think the momentum of winning games would be a good thing for the team and club.

Dont understand this cup run being as important as the league talk.

Progressing in the leagues determines the entire standard of football the club plays. As we get better, the chance of sustaining a decent cup run increases anyway. We should put that under threat, just so we can have a go now? Potentially increasing the risk of us becoming a worse team in the future & one less likely to compete in this league let alone the cups?

Guest Brummiemag

I look forward to next season then, when everyone on here is urging the manager to target the cup competitions and really go for them with a full strength team.  It wont happen

Sadly the cup competitions will never be important in the long run as there will always be higher priorities, whether its survival, consolidation or pushing for Europe. We can look forward to years and years of being a mediocre, mid table premier league team, if we're lucky that is.

Ah what the hell, not this again, how many threads are we going to have this discussion on. Promotion priority, with a decent cup run would be nice, I had no problem with the team Hughton put out yesterday, Id be happy to get to the 4th/5th round this season, and thats it really.

We try harder when we don't have a squad that will be crippled by a couple of injuries.

I'd love us do well in the cup, I would, but it's a cost-benafit thing. The benafit of a could cup run would be massively outweighed by the cost of losing say Taylor and Coloccini for a few weeks. It's alright for teams such as West Brom or Forest who are in similar positions because they have some form of back up whereas we don't. Who would fill in? Kadar and Tozer, the promotion charge would take a serious blow and for what? A good day out for the fans?

I know players can get injured at any given point, but the more games you play the more chance you have of getting an injury. Until we add some depth to the squad it isn't a risk worth taking if you ask me. That's why I wouldn't stick a full strength team out.

As we're clearly not going to win the premiership next season, why bother going up?

A good cup run, or at least making a decent go of one is just as important confidence-wise to the players than them being told and thinking that it's ok we lost as we're concentrating on the league.

As we're clearly not going to win the premiership next season, why bother going up?

A good cup run, or at least making a decent go of one is just as important confidence-wise to the players than them being told and thinking that it's ok we lost as we're concentrating on the league.

Silly argument.

Players, increased finance etc..

Not many top players will be thinking "well they are still in the championship and have had to sell their better players but fuck me they got to the quarter finals last season, sign me up!, whats that? you can't afford to pay me much, oh well you did well in the cup last season so I don't mind" :lol:

Teams with strength in depth always do well in the cup, we dont have that.

Teams that put out their 1st team usually do better regardless of what competition it is.

Yes, but I didnt mean strength in depth as in play the subs, I meant play the 1st team in the cup, and have decent/adequate replacements for the league if players get injured in the cup, we dont have replacements good enough.

I look forward to next season then, when everyone on here is urging the manager to target the cup competitions and really go for them with a full strength team.  It wont happen

Sadly the cup competitions will never be important in the long run as there will always be higher priorities, whether its survival, consolidation or pushing for Europe. We can look forward to years and years of being a mediocre, mid table premier league team, if we're lucky that is.

Think the majority would be happy for us to compete properly in the cups outside of being in serious threat of relegation.

Teams with strength in depth always do well in the league, we dont have that. Oh wait.....

Teams that put out their 1st team usually do better regardless of what competition it is.

Yes, but I didnt mean strength in depth as in play the subs, I meant play the 1st team in the cup, and have decent/adequate replacements for the league if players get injured in the cup, we dont have replacements good enough.

You do realise in terms of injuries, this season has been nothing compared to the previous ones right? And when we did get injuries, Shola and Jonas, we had a blip.

Silly argument.

Players, increased finance etc..

Not many top players will be thinking "well they are still in the championship and have had to sell their better players but f*** me they got to the quarter finals last season, sign me up!, whats that? you can't afford to pay me much, oh well you did well in the cup last season so I don't mind" :lol:

Eh, thats a pop at those who say that as we're obviously not going to win the cup, then why try in the first place.......so if thats their stance then the same applies to a point with the prem.

We try harder when we don't have a squad that will be crippled by a couple of injuries.

I'd love us do well in the cup, I would, but it's a cost-benefit thing. The benefit of a good cup run would be massively outweighed by the cost of losing say Taylor and Coloccini for a few weeks. It's alright for teams such as West Brom or Forest who are in similar positions because they have some form of back up whereas we don't. Who would fill in? Kadar and Tozer, the promotion charge would take a serious blow and for what? A good day out for the fans?

I know players can get injured at any given point, but the more games you play the more chance you have of getting an injury. Until we add some depth to the squad it isn't a risk worth taking if you ask me. That's why I wouldn't stick a full strength team out.

:thup:

Some people are pointing to the Leeds result (the same who have said they look a better team than us) but what about Watford today? I am sure that is doing their confidence the world of good.

They say pride comes before a fall, well if we did somehow go on a decent cup run but it cost us promotion we would certainly fucking fall and those harking on about ambition now would be expecting even greater miracles.

Our first 11 is decent, it has got us to the top of the league but our squad is so thin that one or two injuries could completely fuck us over. Our fitness levels are shocking and will only get worse as the season goes on, the players will need the "free saturdays" to try and keep up with the league games let alone any additional matches.