FA Cup 4th Round Draw - West Brom (a) if we beat Plymouth

Guest michaelfoster

Teams with strength in depth always do well in the cup, we dont have that.

Teams with strength in depth always do well in the league, we dont have that. Oh wait.....

Teams that put out their 1st team usually do better regardless of what competition it is.

Yes, but I didnt mean strength in depth as in play the subs, I meant play the 1st team in the cup, and have decent/adequate replacements for the league if players get injured in the cup, we dont have replacements good enough.

You do realise in terms of injuries, this season has been nothing compared to the previous ones right? And when we did get injuries, Shola and Jonas, we had a blip.

I get your point, but you can't second guess when/if a player is going to pick up an injury by looking at the fixture list. Could be next game, could be next year, could be never....

As we're clearly not going to win the premiership next season, why bother going up?

A good cup run, or at least making a decent go of one is just as important confidence-wise to the players than them being told and thinking that it's ok we lost as we're concentrating on the league.

Silly argument.

Players, increased finance etc..

Not many top players will be thinking "well they are still in the championship and have had to sell their better players but f*** me they got to the quarter finals last season, sign me up!, whats that? you can't afford to pay me much, oh well you did well in the cup last season so I don't mind" :lol:

Eh, thats a pop at those who say that as we're obviously not going to win the cup, then why try in the first place.......so if thats their stance then the same applies to a point with the prem.

No it doesn't, not at all.

Being in the Premiership is completely different to doing well in a cup. If we are in the premiership our revenue will increase, we will attract better players and we may have a squad big enough to challenge for more. At the moment our first team is decent but our back up aren't really good enough in certain areas so if they had to play for a sustained period our results would suffer.

If we were even playing half decent football it might be more worth it. Any side that can knock it around a bit is going to be able to test most sides to an extent as leeds showed today.

Our strength is hitting it long & scoring against weak defences. Whilst having oppositions strikers missing chances. That wouldnt be the case against prem teams. If we had even some qualities that might test better sides itd be more worth it, i dont really see any though.

Teams with strength in depth always do well in the league, we dont have that. Oh wait.....

Teams that put out their 1st team usually do better regardless of what competition it is.

Yes, but I didnt mean strength in depth as in play the subs, I meant play the 1st team in the cup, and have decent/adequate replacements for the league if players get injured in the cup, we dont have replacements good enough.

You do realise in terms of injuries, this season has been nothing compared to the previous ones right? And when we did get injuries, Shola and Jonas, we had a blip.

I get your point, but you can't second guess when/if a player is going to pick up an injury by looking at the fixture list. Could be next game, could be next year, could be never....

Electrocution might not kill you but if you keep sticking a fork in the toaster there is more chance it will  :pow:

Aye but the more the fixtures the higher the chances, I suppose. Meh. Im all in for a good cup run dont get me wrong, I mean its not unusual for a CCC club to do well, Cardiff got to the finals not so long ago.

It's just how some people think that having a bit of a go in the FA Cup would ruin our promotion chances? :lol:

It's not like we're sending them to fight in Iraq on their weekends off. It is possible to do both, the most we risk is injury but it's no different to the risk in a League game.

If the players can't handle a few extra games, they shouldn't be called 'athletes' anyway.

If Beckford, Kisnorbo and Snodgrass had all got injured and they'd lost the game aswell, and didn't go up as a result - then it would be catastrophic.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing. I wouldn't want to risk the fitness of our key players when they're going to be so vitally important in the long run. And i mean, i know you're saying you'd just as much win the cup as get promoted, but that's barely even a valid reason given we have absolutely no chance of winning the thing.

That could happen against Wycombe next week; what would be the difference?

If we lost Taylor to injury against Reading, I'd be just as gutted as if we'd lost him against Plymouth - the competition it's in is irrelevant.

Injuries happen, Jonny man. It's barely worth the risk when we will benefit virtually nothing from going all out to win the competition.

Injuries happen in all competitions man! The FA Cup is no different to the Championship.

And we don't have to go 'all out' but virtually expecting defeat is not the way to go. At least give it a go like we have done in previous years.

It's just how some people think that having a bit of a go in the FA Cup would ruin our promotion chances? :lol:

It's not like we're sending them to fight in Iraq on their weekends off. It is possible to do both, the most we risk is injury but it's no different to the risk in a League game.

If the players can't handle a few extra games, they shouldn't be called 'athletes' anyway.

That is the thing though, they can't. Nolan, Smith, Guthrie, Ryan Taylor, Shola and Butt look fucked at the best of times. This will only get worse as the season goes on.

Injuries happen, Jonny man. It's barely worth the risk when we will benefit virtually nothing from going all out to win the competition.

Cardiff & Millwall have proven in recent years what a lucky cup draw can do. Pretty sure when Millwall got to the final they didn't play a single Premier League side on their way.

As much as a final would be fucking great all these teams still lost in the end to superior opposition. We have played poorly for the majority of the season but as someone said we have won due to the other teams being even worse. How long would this last once we get into the premiership?

Leeds played much better than we have all season today, do people HONESTLY see us playing like that? Honestly?

It just utterly ludicrous to suggest that a professional football team can't compete healthily in two competitions.

The FA Cup has like 5 more rounds after this, it's hardly going to hamper promotion chances. And it's not as though every player will go down with a broken leg as soon as they step on the pitch - people are just needlessly overreacting after what happened to Shola and Jonas in the League Cup - that sort of thing doesn't happen every week.

Cardiff & Millwall have proven in recent years what a lucky cup draw can do. Pretty sure when Millwall got to the final they didn't play a single Premier League side on their way.

Absolutely right, but what's your point? Both of them were in and around the play-off places in their respective years and didn't go up. Not saying their FA Cup runs were a direct cause of them not getting promotion, but i don't see how it would have helped. Was there really any other benefit of them having a good run? They didn't win it after all, which is what i'm saying. Pointless getting to the semis when you're either gonna get beaten or absolutely caned.

It just utterly ludicrous to suggest that a professional football team can't compete healthily in two competitions.

The FA Cup has like 5 more rounds after this, it's hardly going to hamper promotion chances. And it's not as though every player will go down with a broken leg as soon as they step on the pitch - people are just needlessly overreacting after what happened to Shola and Jonas in the League Cup - that sort of thing doesn't happen every week.

Have you seen our squad? When we rest players we look clueless/awful. We will have to rest players throughout the season and if we got to the final (at least 6 more games) we will have to rest them even more.

:lol: What if Colo and Enrique got injured at home to Plymouth in the next round? It could happen, and it'd be a needless risk finding out. It'd be an utterly pointless waste of two of our most important players. Aye we can compete in two competitions but i'd rather be 100% healthy for the league, than 90%/10% healthy with the cup thrown in there as a needless distraction. We've hardly got a particularly fit squad anyway.

I honestly see absolutely no gain from going for it in the cup, that's all i'm saying. Morale boost? Nah... we're top as it is and i'd like to keep it that way.

:lol: What if Colo and Enrique got injured at home to Plymouth in the next round? It could happen, and it'd be a needless risk finding out. It'd be an utterly pointless waste of two of our most important players. Aye we can compete in two competitions but i'd rather be 100% healthy for the league, than 90%/10% healthy with the cup thrown in there as a needless distraction. We've hardly got a particularly fit squad anyway.

I honestly see absolutely no gain from going for it in the cup, that's all i'm saying. Morale boost? Nah... we're top as it is and i'd like to keep it that way.

And next year if we're in a relegation battle?

IT COULD HAPPEN IN THE LEAGUE!

Why bother playing Colo and Enrique against Reading? We don't really need the 3 points, we're already top atm. We might as well rest than instead of play them - they might get injured.

IT COULD HAPPEN IN THE LEAGUE!

Why bother playing Colo and Enrique against Reading? We don't really need the 3 points, we're already top atm. We might as well rest than instead of play them - they might get injured.

Yes but we need to win our fucking league games man, meaning they're worth the risk. We don't need the sodding cup.

Fuck me mate.

I'm can't be arsed with this argument anymore - it's fucking stupid. Agree to disagree.

Bollocks man.

I just don't see where this pre-conception comes that a cup game pretty much guarentees an injury? I can't remember too many in our cup run under Souness.