Proposed European Super League

madras

it's  been mentioned a couple of times on here recently in one way or another (obviously not concerning us). just wondered what others thoughts were (or more honestly...heres mine)

it's a threat and nothing more. if the champs league has proved one thing it's that for the most part fans wont come out to watch euro games that mean nowt. the only euro league that would work is the champs league format we have (and i don't like.....much rather have knock out all the way through), small leagues to keep interest running alongside domestic leagues as we have now.

the idea of inter v ajax sounds good but it wont pull in crowds or viewers if they are 6th and 10th and out of contention for a euro league title.

The reason it won't work is simple.

Because you won't be able to go to work on Monday and claim "bragging rights" over the office Ajax supporter. Because 9999 times out of 10000 there isn't an office Ajax supporter.

Take that away and you might as well stare at share prices all day for your excitement.

Yeah, like brummie says I don't think there's really anything broken that needs to be fixed.  The possibility of a Super League is just a means for the big clubs to flex their muscles and get away with shit.  The system is stacked heavily in their favour in terms of prize money and the threat of a Super League helps to allow that to continue. 

I know Man City haven't exactly done it in the most popular way but I'd like to see things get shaken up in the next few years and as we all know Liverpool might well be fucked.  NUFC have never been further from the top of the top league of course - we're lightyears away now.  We'd need a shitload of money or years and years and years of prudent investment.

Would love for some of those teams to start a Euro league and leave the rest to "us" - there really is far too much of a gulf between even the Championship and the Premier League, let alone the "top four" and their CL money.  Not really in a state to think about the specifics but having a few of those top teams heading out to where they think they "deserve" to be might be good to knock them down a peg or two.

It would also be hilarious to watch teams like Tottenham beg to join in a Euro "super" league.

Would love for some of those teams to start a Euro league and leave the rest to "us" - there really is far too much of a gulf between even the Championship and the Premier League, let alone the "top four" and their CL money.  Not really in a state to think about the specifics but having a few of those top teams heading out to where they think they "deserve" to be might be good to knock them down a peg or two.

It would also be hilarious to watch teams like Tottenham beg to join in a Euro "super" league.

don't laugh at spurs..a while ago it was us.

the top clubs wont do it, its a threat and nothing more that the authorities bow to. i know it happens in spain (barce, real allowed to stretch the rules) and in italy.....i wonder if it similar in germany ?

I don't know... purely thinking as a fan, the good thing about these "ManU vs Barça" etc matches is how rare they are and that they usually happen in the critical stages of Europe's top tier competition, I don't think there would have much of a pull if it happened every year. And even we'd be playing much better teams, I just don't have the same rivalry playing against Inter Milan that I have when playing Espanyol or Valencia (Valencia could make that compo I guess).

Also, relating to this, a couple of weeks ago I was reading the bio of Agustí Montal, Barça president during the 1970s, and one of the funniest things are his comments on how the European Superleague was already talked back then and everybody thought it was "impending", and how he tried to raise Barça's profile to make sure we'd get in... yet nothing happened. Sobering thought I think.

We certainly need to do something to restore some competiveness to domestic leagues. Is that possible though? It would require a lot of regulation that I don't think will be easy for UEFA to implement (provided they even have the desire to try). Yank leagues like the NFL do a good work of that, but sometimes it feels like they just roll a die every season and select a random winner.

The idea of watching European style football with European type refereeing all the time is not something I would look forward to.

I remember this same debate coming every so often as long ago as I can remember and I am glad to see it is no further forward at all. The current CL format is a good compromise.

The only thing that'll make this happen would be as per normal: money.

The clubs would need to be sure that they'd make more money than they currently do, they'd need to make an absolute shit-load of cash to make up for the loss of income from the Premiership, the Champions' League and the other things like no away fans and so-on. TV money from the domestic market might even go down, because there'd be no local interest or history to the matches, it's not all about the standard of the football, I mean why do people want to watch the old-firm games for example? It's not the quality of the football is it! It would need the TV money from outside Europe to seriously dominate that from within for anyone to seriously consider doing this.

How could you justify each team being garunteed in the league every season though?, I mean who is to say the teams left behind in the normal leagues don't progress and become better clubs then those in the Euro Super league?

In my view if the top clubs want to go into a Euro Super League, let them, but don't let them come back ever, also we must not let them in any of our cup competitions either.

Perhaps the only way to get more parity in the domestic leagues is to adopt such approaches as introducing salary caps, zoned transfer areas, feeder clubs and possible foreign player restrictions but I feel there will probably a load of restraint of trade cases piling up through the european courts.

It would be interesting I suppose, but only in addition to the domestic league.

I suppose you could replace the Champions League with a kind of ongoing European league structure. Would probably require far too many fixtures though.

As the only league a club is involved in? No way.

The reason it won't work is simple.

Because you won't be able to go to work on Monday and claim "bragging rights" over the office Ajax supporter. Because 9999 times out of 10000 there isn't an office Ajax supporter.

Take that away and you might as well stare at share prices all day for your excitement.

Yeah, that's probably the simplest and best way to put it. One of the things I miss of living in NYC is when I showed up at my office in Barcelona and bragged with the Espanyol fans or our resident Real Madrid fan during lunch time. I really don't think domestic audiences really want this to happen, and despite what people think they are still the bulk of people that keeps clubs afloat.

I'd much rather in addition to the Champions League, the world club cup was reformated, so that the winner of each highest league from every FIFA country was awarded a place, this would be a straight knock out formation untill we eventually got a winner.

• 13 years later...
Just now, FloydianMag said:

PL clubs and Bundesliga clubs won’t join so I doubt there’ll be an ESL.

I’m not so sure about this, they now have a Saudi scapegoat to point to as to why they should be in it on morale grounds. Why not make a rule saying state owned clubs are banned? You don’t think RAWK and red cafe would lap that up and sign up out of pure righteousness?