Wootton Bassett parade

Dave

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/8438915.stm

Extremist Islamic group defends Wootton Bassett parade

The leader of an Islamic group, said to have extremist links, has written to families of fallen soldiers about its plans to march through Wootton Bassett.

Islam4UK wants to walk through the Wiltshire town, which has become famous for paying tribute to soldiers killed in Afghanistan, carrying empty coffins.

Anjem Choudary, of Islam4UK, admitted the town had been chosen because it would attract the most media attention.

But former mayor Chris Wannell asked the group to reconsider its choice.

Islam4UK is said to call itself a "platform" for the extremist movement al-Muhajiroun.

Mr Choudary, a former lawyer and the leader of Islam4UK, has written a letter on the organisation's website entitled "To the families of British soldiers who have fallen", explaining reasons for the planned march.

He said the event, if permitted by police, would involve peaceful "symbolic coffins" being carried to honour Muslim victims of the conflict in Afghanistan.

Mr Choudary said: "The procession is not actually about the people of Wootton Bassett and it never was about them.

"We are having a procession, it's in Wootton Bassett but it's not about the people there and it's not against them personally - rather it's to highlight the real cost of war in Afghanistan.

"The sad reality of the situation is that if I were to hold it somewhere else it would not have the media attention that it has now.

"If I am to balance between the sensitivity of having it in Wootton Bassett and the possibility of continuing the quagmire and cycle of death in Afghanistan, then quite honestly I'm going to balance in favour of the latter.

"In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to be engaging with the local community and the public at large by way of press releases and letters to explain why we're having this march."

Mr Wannell, of Wootton Bassett, said: "I know we still have freedom of speech and freedom of movement but I think that Mr Choudary has made a bad choice and I would hope he would examine himself and say, 'no I'm doing the wrong thing here', and go somewhere else.

"I think if Mr Choudary has any decency about him he will not march in Wootton Bassett."

Mr Choudary said he had not yet applied to the police with a date requesting permission for the procession through the town.

He said it would not coincide with a repatriation ceremony.

Thoughts on this march? Surprised there's not a thread already.

He was on the radio this morning and to be frank some of the stuff he said about British soldiers being somehow comparable to Nazis was fucking unreal.

It'll end up going ahead, and the police will arrest anyone who tries to stop it. This f***ing country man.  :facepalm:

can't have one rule for one and one for another though.

That wont make a blind bit of difference, this government is shit scared of upsetting muslims for some reason.

And saying its not the soldiers fault is a bit of a cop out, they arent conscripted and know what they sign up for.

Guest Stephen927

These people should show a damn sight more respect for the people who serve this country so well in the Armed Forces.

These people should show a damn sight more respect for the people who serve this country so well in the Armed Forces.

the way many see it is that they are killing civilians in a place they shouldn't be in.

And saying its not the soldiers fault is a bit of a cop out, they arent conscripted and know what they sign up for.

Whilst it's obviously true that they're not conscripted, do they know exactly where they will be deployed and what they will be asked to do when they sign up?

Genuine question.

Whilst it's obviously true that they're not conscripted, do they know exactly where they will be deployed and what they will be asked to do when they sign up?

Genuine question.

they can't be physically forced to go anywhere.

Im sure they arent briefed on exactly what missions they are going to be on, and where they are going to be deployed. But they do know theres a war on, they know they'll be fighting in Afghanistan, and if they dont know war sometimes = civillian casualties they need to be sent home with a dunces hat on.

Guest Stephen927

Anyone know why we are in afghanistan and what our objectives are?

officially to stop al qaida and friends from bringing death and destruction to these shores.

And unofficially?

officially to stop al qaida and friends from bringing death and destruction to these shores.

So what are the military objectives? To destroy al Qaida, the Taliban or the tribesmen? It's a mess.

And unofficially?

The Caspian gas pipeline - Karzai was chosen because he promised to deliver it.

They have the right to say what they like.  And we have the right to stand by them and throw rocks at them as they march past.

Er actually we don't, one is a non-violent march and the other is an attack.

A non-violent march that is going to incite a fucking riot.  And I wasn't meaning literally throw rocks.....

Jesus, forget it.