Tax returns

Guest elbee909

Guest elbee909

I fucking hate paying all that amount in one go.  I know, you can spread future tax payments but not past ones.  Bah.

(I'm talking self-assessment here, in case you were wondering - thankfully I'm now in-house employed again so won't have this shite to do next year.)

I wouldn't have it any other way but, to submit my own self assessment tax.

I am employed by a company but, the nature of the way I am paid and the fact that I work at home means I can claim a few things back and generally receive a nice little surprise every year in the form of a rebate!

Guest Howaythetoon

Get a good accountant, mine is fantastic. I used to do them myself but as my business grew more complicated so did my accounts so I hired an accountant (a mackem believe it or not :D). I remember when we first met and the fee he told me he'd be looking at, I nearly told him to fuck off but in the first year he saved me double what I pay him and he's a good guy in terms of advice and such.

It could be worse for you folks.  Remember the very recent days of completing paper tax returns?  Nightmare, for Self Assessment, Pay As You Earn, Stamps and Corporation Tax.  Mind, 'transferring' the 'paper' Corporation Tax return to 'online' was a blessing in disguise for me personally as I got the gig of HMRC CT Requirements manager.  Endless trips to Amsterdam, on my jack, working with an American Consultancy group, with them footing the bill for everything (except the hoares of course). Aye, the good old days. A combo of CT tax return expertise coupled with joints and prossers.

Guest elbee909

Finished mine.  Paid too as I'm not getting pissed off with everyone submitting at the end of the month and slowing down their system.  Praise be for capital allowances - realised just how much kit I'd bought in 08/09. :)

• 4 years later...

Bump of doom.

If I became self-employed on 1st July 2013 and registered for self-assessment on 16th October 2013 do I need to complete a tax return by tomorrow night?

Conflicting information from friends/family and couldn't get through to HMRC on the phone before they closed for the night, so thought I'd try you lot out :aww:

Bump of doom.

If I became self-employed on 1st July 2013 and registered for self-assessment on 16th October 2013 do I need to complete a tax return by tomorrow night?

Conflicting information from friends/family and couldn't get through to HMRC on the phone before they closed for the night, so thought I'd try you lot out :aww:

I'm in almost the same situation, no you don't - I asked a few self employed people. Apparently it isn't owed until Jan 14 although what I'm not sure of then is exactly how much we owe, like is it July13-April-13 only?

Bump of doom.

well I think your first trading year will end april 14,( April13-april14) and first Tax return be due Jan 15.

Thats how I see it it anyway, just gone 17 years self employed, put mine in this week a few grand lighter. :(

Bump of doom.

well I think your first trading year will end april 14,( April13-april14) and first Tax return be due Jan 15.

Thats how I see it it anyway, just gone 17 years self employed, put mine in this week a few grand lighter. :(

That's right - you're OK for a while yet!

Bump of doom.

That's right - you're OK for a while yet!

Actually yeah that's right, mine were 6/4/12 - 5/4/13.

Bump of doom.

Your first self assessed year will be 13/14. You can file your return at any point after the tax year has ended (05/04/14). Deadline for online filing is 31st Jan the following year and your balancing payment becomes due on this date. You might have a payment on account to make as well, depending on your tax bill.

Wanted to throw my PC out the window tbh, then found out I only needed to fill in about 3 of the 8/9 or so sections  :explode:

Did you just tick everything in the tailor your return section, like? :lol:

Wanted to throw my PC out the window tbh, then found out I only needed to fill in about 3 of the 8/9 or so sections  :explode:

Did you just tick everything in the tailor your return section, like? :lol:

Basically just went through every section before I got fed up, phoned a proper accountant and they told me what I actually had to fill in :lol: